JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

JAL or All All Nippon? - 08-16-2011, 06:43 PM

I am trying to secure a ticket this week and I just thought I would ask some opinions.

I have made this trip almost 15 times in my life. The thing I hate most is the 13 hour flight to and from. I refuse to do layovers as well, because I would rather just get it over with.

Anyway, as you can tell, the quality of the flight is very important to me. I have never flown on ANA but have been hearing a lot of good things about them. I have flown JAL quite a few times and they have always been good, but I have not used them in 6 years, and the current reviews are underwhelming (esp compared to ANA).

Anyone have any personal preference?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxr View Post
I am trying to secure a ticket this week and I just thought I would ask some opinions.

I have made this trip almost 15 times in my life. The thing I hate most is the 13 hour flight to and from. I refuse to do layovers as well, because I would rather just get it over with.

Anyway, as you can tell, the quality of the flight is very important to me. I have never flown on ANA but have been hearing a lot of good things about them. I have flown JAL quite a few times and they have always been good, but I have not used them in 6 years, and the current reviews are underwhelming (esp compared to ANA).

Anyone have any personal preference?
What route are you traveling? My experience with JAL was great, but ANA was even better, until I flown an Asia route to HK on ANA, its not its service, its just the other passenger that drove me crazy.. but then, I guess that has noting to do with the airline
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

08-16-2011, 07:27 PM

I will be flying from Chicago.

What was your problem with the passenger?

I am leaning towards ANA right now too, but there is a $100 differential (on an already higher priced JAL flight).
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-16-2011, 07:30 PM

I've done the JL009/JL010 route twice from ORD and have had nothing but good memories. Flight crew was very attentive and nicer to look at than, say, AA or UA.... Never flown ANA, so I can't say.... All I know is that my reservations last year was $1000 round trip and I just booked them again for $1638.... ouch!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I will be flying from Chicago.

What was your problem with the passenger?

I am leaning towards ANA right now too, but there is a $100 differential (on an already higher priced JAL flight).
I guess JAL changed the departure terminal to T3 instead of the International T5, but the funny thing is they still land at T5! What a waste to unload at T5 and then have it moved to T3 to board! Not like T5 is super busy at 9:00am to 11:00am....even though they are across the taxiway from each other, it makes no sense to me....
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

08-16-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I've done the JL009/JL010 route twice from ORD and have had nothing but good memories. Flight crew was very attentive and nicer to look at than, say, AA or UA.... Never flown ANA, so I can't say.... All I know is that my reservations last year was $1000 round trip and I just booked them again for $1638.... ouch!
Excellent, thank you.

I am probably going to jump on this $1440 one I have found on Kayak. It keeps fluctuating for the past two weeks, and got up $1520 one day, so I think I should act fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I guess JAL changed the departure terminal to T3 instead of the International T5, but the funny thing is they still land at T5! What a waste to unload at T5 and then have it moved to T3 to board! Not like T5 is super busy at 9:00am to 11:00am....even though they are across the taxiway from each other, it makes no sense to me....

Not really worried about that. Just want to make sure I get on a more modern plane because I am very tall and some of their older ones were absolutely hell.

Seems like they are all using 777-300's though, so that should be nice.

Side note* JAL is the only airline ever who actually offered me an exit row. Twice! They also once bumped me to business, which was the absolute best thing that has ever happened to me (lol yes, I live a sheltered life ).

Last edited by dxr : 08-16-2011 at 08:18 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-16-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Seems like they are all using 777-300's though, so that should be nice.

Side note* JAL is the only airline ever who actually offered me an exit row. Twice! They also once bumped me to business, which was the absolute best thing that has ever happened to me (lol yes, I live a sheltered life ).
Consider yourself lucky! The only time I had an emergency exit was on my return flight in 2005 on the upper deck of an old 747-446. They are all gone now, sold off as part of the restructuring process after the bankruptcy bailout. It was a shame to see so many lined up in the maintenance area of Narita back in October 2010-such a graceful bird....

They are now using the 777-346ERs for the US routes and I like the new planes. The ones I rode on in October were less than a year old and they even had that new smell still!

I'd love to once be able to have a business class seat! I'm not picky! I don't need first class! Business is good enough, especially on that grueling 13.5 hr flight! At least the return trip is shortened by 2 hours....
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Gokiburi (Offline)
JF Regular

08-16-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
, its just the other passenger that drove me crazy.. but then, I guess that has noting to do with the airline
It hasn't. Folks travelling together are usually seated together. When travelling on your own you're subject to the big seat assignment lottery.
Check-in computer usually does that automatically.
Sometimes you draw a bad (boarding)card and need to spend long hours beside someone eager to chew your ear off while you're trying to sleep, or is already asleep and snores so loud that you can't get your eyes closed.

Guess everybody who did a few long-haul flights has a tale to tell about fellow passengers...

Can't blame the airlines. Can't step out for break either...

And while you're suffering, the pilots might hve thmeselves a good time :

Oral Sex Videos (Cathay Pacific Cockpit Oral Sex video scandal) - YouTube
(#9 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-17-2011, 06:23 AM

I have flown with both companies many times (at least 20 times with each) and I really think they are almost equally good mainly because they try to beat each other and end up providing services of very similar quality. My personal choice, however, would be ANA when flying economy. For business class, there is not much of a difference between the two.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

08-17-2011, 06:37 AM

I've found ANA's service impeccable. The best flying I've done. I've never flown JAL, and I've heard it's good as well, but if I never fly JAL in the future, I won't miss it because I'm perfectly happy with ANA.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography