JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TayTay (Offline)
New to JF

Travel Visa concern...? - 11-07-2011, 09:53 PM

I feel I should start by saying I've never really traveled before so as of a few hours ago I wasn't even sure what a travel visa was. Since I am from Canada, I was told I would not need a travel visa for visiting Japan for 2 weeks.

I just went to book the hotel I want to stay at and saw this in the FAQ:
Q. I don't come from a visa-waiving country. Can I get a confirmation from you for applying visa?
A. We are sorry that only individuals who already possess valid visas issued by the Japanese government could reserve at our hotel. We are afraid we cannot provide any confirmation to apply for Japanese visa. To reserve, please send us a copy of visa for all members via e-mail or fax.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong...but to me this says I need one to reserve at their hotel even if my country says I don't need one. This seems a little sketchy to me. Why would I need one for a hotel but not to be in the country? Have any of you encountered this before? Where can I get one of these if it turns out I do need it?

Sorry if this seems like a total newbie question...I'm just really confused. Like I mentioned earlier this will be my first real trip and I don't really know anything about travel visas as I was under the impression I wouldn't need one. :S
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayTay View Post
I feel I should start by saying I've never really traveled before so as of a few hours ago I wasn't even sure what a travel visa was. Since I am from Canada, I was told I would not need a travel visa for visiting Japan for 2 weeks.

I just went to book the hotel I want to stay at and saw this in the FAQ:
Q. I don't come from a visa-waiving country. Can I get a confirmation from you for applying visa?
A. We are sorry that only individuals who already possess valid visas issued by the Japanese government could reserve at our hotel. We are afraid we cannot provide any confirmation to apply for Japanese visa. To reserve, please send us a copy of visa for all members via e-mail or fax.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong...but to me this says I need one to reserve at their hotel even if my country says I don't need one. This seems a little sketchy to me. Why would I need one for a hotel but not to be in the country? Have any of you encountered this before? Where can I get one of these if it turns out I do need it?

Sorry if this seems like a total newbie question...I'm just really confused. Like I mentioned earlier this will be my first real trip and I don't really know anything about travel visas as I was under the impression I wouldn't need one. :S
And you were told correctly....

That question doesn't concern you. It is placed there as an example for a tourist from a country that needs a visa to visit Japan. I think that for those countries' citizens, someone needs to vouch for them and the hotel is saying they won't vouch for them. I could be wrong here, but not with what I'll say next....

You are coming from a country that has an agreement with Japan where you don't require a visa prior to landing in Japan. You can simply show up at the airport in Tokyo, Osaka or Nagoya (or any other point of entry) and Immigration in Japan will stamp your passport with a Temporary Visitor status stamp, allowing you 3 months of stay in Japan. Assuming everything is fine, that should be it. You do have to provide proof that you'll be leaving within the 3 months, like a return ticket, even though I'm not sure I've ever had to prove it past writing flight info on the paperwork they'll give you on the flight to Japan.

Welcome to the forum and if you have any more questions regarding travel to Japan, please don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited by JohnBraden : 11-07-2011 at 10:22 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-08-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
John Braden's got it in one. Basically for citizens of countries that require a visa they may also have to give a full itinerary of where they will be during their stay, such as hotel bookings and crucially, a departing flight ticket. This hotel has obviously had run-ins with visa applicants booking, using the hotel as a way to get a visa and then not turning up or causing the visa people to hassle the hotel, so they have a policy to only take visa-holders.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TayTay (Offline)
New to JF

11-08-2011, 03:13 AM

Phew, relief to know it doesn't concern me then. So for the stamp they give you...how does that work? When I was googling travel visa there was a post that said a place in the airport did it for you and it made it sound like you have to go find it.

I have yet to book my flight since I still have a few months before my trip but right now it's looking like the route I'll be taking will have me landing in Tokyo then catching a plane to Osaka. Would I need to get this stamp when landing in Tokyo or is it something I'd wait until Osaka for since in Tokyo I'd only be there for a few hours before hoping on the next plane?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-08-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Phew, relief to know it doesn't concern me then. So for the stamp they give you...how does that work? When I was googling travel visa there was a post that said a place in the airport did it for you and it made it sound like you have to go find it.

I have yet to book my flight since I still have a few months before my trip but right now it's looking like the route I'll be taking will have me landing in Tokyo then catching a plane to Osaka. Would I need to get this stamp when landing in Tokyo or is it something I'd wait until Osaka for since in Tokyo I'd only be there for a few hours before hoping on the next plane?
Trust me, you'll find it. You can't get out of the airport without going through it.

The stamp will be received before you even get your luggage in Tokyo. Why fly from Tokyo to Osaka when it is much more convenient to take the bullet train?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
TayTay (Offline)
New to JF

11-08-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The stamp will be received before you even get your luggage in Tokyo. Why fly from Tokyo to Osaka when it is much more convenient to take the bullet train?
When I looked up flights to get me to Osaka it just popped up that I'd be stopping in Tokyo then switching planes to get to Osaka. I've never traveled alone before so I didn't really stop to consider other options. I figured since I need to be in Osaka by a certain time and will be nervous it'd be easier to take the flight. Would you suggest taking the bullet train as a better option? Would it be difficult with large luggage?

I think I'll be much more comfortable taking trains and such after I'm done with the tour group I'm meeting in Osaka. I'm sure after they show me the ropes I'll be fine to go off on my own. Until then though...maybe it won't be a good option...? lol!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
When I looked up flights to get me to Osaka it just popped up that I'd be stopping in Tokyo then switching planes to get to Osaka. I've never traveled alone before so I didn't really stop to consider other options. I figured since I need to be in Osaka by a certain time and will be nervous it'd be easier to take the flight. Would you suggest taking the bullet train as a better option? Would it be difficult with large luggage?

I think I'll be much more comfortable taking trains and such after I'm done with the tour group I'm meeting in Osaka. I'm sure after they show me the ropes I'll be fine to go off on my own. Until then though...maybe it won't be a good option...? lol!
One needs more specific info to answer this. "Tokyo to Osaka" is too vague. By "Tokyo", do you mean the Narita Airport (which is not even in Tokyo) or somewhere in Tokyo or the JR Tokyo station? There are 4 flights daily between Narita and Osaka. If one of them fits your schedule, then it is by far the easiest way to get to Osaka.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-08-2011, 09:14 AM

I usually fly Tokyo to Nagoya, even though it is even closer than Osaka and the Shinkansen is "convenient".

There is no lugging around of luggage, no dealing with stations, no messing with finding a spot to store the luggage on the Shinkansen, and no extra cost.
I have always found that booking flights with the stop over no different in price than just going to Narita. So it seems a complete and total waste to me to get off in Narita, deal with the whole drag-luggage-to-train thing... And then pay an extra 10,000 something to take the train.
Especially when I am feeling like crap after a long international flight.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
it's looking like the route I'll be taking will have me landing in Tokyo then catching a plane to Osaka.
Sorry, this language threw me off. I had an image of you staying in Tokyo then going to Osaka. Listen to what Masaegu and Nyororin say. BUT I want to emphasize that there are two major airports in "Tokyo", and two in "Osaka". Make sure the airport you are landing in in Tokyo (probably Narita) is the same as the airport you will be leaving from, and not Haneda. People do commute by bus between the airports to catch connecting flights, but that can be a hassle a new traveler may not want to deal with.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
TayTay (Offline)
New to JF

11-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Sorry, this language threw me off. I had an image of you staying in Tokyo then going to Osaka.
Sorry >.< I have a habit of making things more complicated than they actually are when I speak online. Haha! :P

Quote:
Make sure the airport you are landing in in Tokyo (probably Narita) is the same as the airport you will be leaving from, and not Haneda. People do commute by bus between the airports to catch connecting flights, but that can be a hassle a new traveler may not want to deal with.
You're right, I will be flying into Narita airport. Though I'm not 100% sure yet which airport I'll be landing at in Osaka yet. I plan on going to the one closest to the hotel but I'm not sure what hotel we'll be at yet. I noticed the switching airports though. I definitely don't want to have to switch. I'd probably end up missing my flight! Thanks for the heads up!