JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do you like tattoos?
Yes, I think tattoos can look great. 57 62.64%
No, I think that tattoos are nasty scars. 2 2.20%
Maybe, occasionally I've seen a good tattoo and it's cool but mostly they are rubbish. 32 35.16%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#351 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-08-2008, 03:46 AM

It's not just onsens where tattoos are not permitted, you are also unable to use public swimming pools, or go to water parks. You'll see signs in front of these places telling you that people with tattoos will not be allowed in.

If you want to use an onsen, such as at a ryokan, and have a tattoo, you can always reserve a private bath. Ask as soon as you check in so you can book a good time. This is also a good option for couples who would like to bath together, or simply for those who don't care for the thought of bathing in public.
(#352 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
09-08-2008, 07:43 AM

I have been thinking about getting a small one on my upper arm for some time now. However, I have been to onsens, and would NOT under ANY circumstances want to deny myself entry, because I know I'll be going as often as I can when I go back.

What I would get would be somewhere from 2-3 inches x 2-3 inches, so it's not very big, and could be easy covered up with a small amount of bandage or something of the sort, without looking like a gaping wound in my arm. Would something that small that can be easy bandaged with a small amount of bandage fly under the radar, or is even that a big risk?

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#353 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-08-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaPapa View Post
I have been thinking about getting a small one on my upper arm for some time now. However, I have been to onsens, and would NOT under ANY circumstances want to deny myself entry, because I know I'll be going as often as I can when I go back.

What I would get would be somewhere from 2-3 inches x 2-3 inches, so it's not very big, and could be easy covered up with a small amount of bandage or something of the sort, without looking like a gaping wound in my arm. Would something that small that can be easy bandaged with a small amount of bandage fly under the radar, or is even that a big risk?
People wearing bandages are more rejected than people with tattoos. A bandage implies an injury, and therefore you are infecting the water with your body fluids.
(#354 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
09-08-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
People wearing bandages are more rejected than people with tattoos. A bandage implies an injury, and therefore you are infecting the water with your body fluids.
Good point! Would it be better to just go in and see what happens or cover it up with something else? Heck, I could easily hold the small washcloth they give you over in when I'm not in the bath, and once I'm in, you aren't going to see it anyway...

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#355 (permalink))
Old
kaelazors (Offline)
おっす!

09-08-2008, 12:23 PM

omg i didn't know traveling to japan was so strict now =O they really take your photo and fingerprints? i just went two years ago and didn't go through that, but i guess a lot has changed since then. so i have a question... will studying abroad in japan be difficult if i have a tattoo on my wrist and a lip ring? i also plan on getting more tattoos after i get the money, but those will be on my back, hip, or thigh and can be covered with clothes. the wrist one can also be covered with a watch or wristband. and i'm guessing teaching english in japan would be extremely difficult if i have tats and the lip ring still yeah?

hello kitty clan leader
anime romance clan delegate

バスガス爆発ブスバスガイド ;]
(#356 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-08-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
A lot of younger people have tattoos.
Sure, and believe me, they are living with restrictions and limitations....
(#357 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-08-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelazors View Post
omg i didn't know traveling to japan was so strict now =O they really take your photo and fingerprints? i just went two years ago and didn't go through that, but i guess a lot has changed since then. so i have a question... will studying abroad in japan be difficult if i have a tattoo on my wrist and a lip ring? i also plan on getting more tattoos after i get the money, but those will be on my back, hip, or thigh and can be covered with clothes. the wrist one can also be covered with a watch or wristband. and i'm guessing teaching english in japan would be extremely difficult if i have tats and the lip ring still yeah?
Well, as much as we all hate it, people tends to judge us and our level of processionalism base on our appearance and how we want to portrait and present ourselves.

A lot of people see tattoo and piercing as a form of rebellious act, and sadly they also stereotype people with such body arts, and its mainly because, a lot of people that ended up in jail do have some form of body arts. That said, body piercing and tattoo is still not something that is deemed acceptable by many society, Japan being one.

Teaching English isn't any different as other teaching job, a teacher is a teacher, a teacher should teach more than their area of expertise, or at least, thats whats expected of them. Supposedly, and most would agree, a Teacher is suppose to be a role model, so connecting all the dots, yes, it will be a bad idea to even try looking for a job as a teacher if you have visible body arts/body piercing, who would want a role model that is perceived as a reble?

Many on this board (mostly the ones who want to work in Japan without a degree) want to go against all advices, either proof a point or try to "voice" their believe and change certain perception, which you can do the same too, but do expect a lot of hurdles along the way.
(#358 (permalink))
Old
kaelazors (Offline)
おっす!

09-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Well, as much as we all hate it, people tends to judge us and our level of processionalism base on our appearance and how we want to portrait and present ourselves.

A lot of people see tattoo and piercing as a form of rebellious act, and sadly they also stereotype people with such body arts, and its mainly because, a lot of people that ended up in jail do have some form of body arts. That said, body piercing and tattoo is still not something that is deemed acceptable by many society, Japan being one.

Teaching English isn't any different as other teaching job, a teacher is a teacher, a teacher should teach more than their area of expertise, or at least, thats whats expected of them. Supposedly, and most would agree, a Teacher is suppose to be a role model, so connecting all the dots, yes, it will be a bad idea to even try looking for a job as a teacher if you have visible body arts/body piercing, who would want a role model that is perceived as a reble?

Many on this board (mostly the ones who want to work in Japan without a degree) want to go against all advices, either proof a point or try to "voice" their believe and change certain perception, which you can do the same too, but do expect a lot of hurdles along the way.
yeah even in the usa it's hard to find jobs if you have visible body art, and you'd think things were pretty liberal here. *sigh* guess i'll have to rethink the whole teaching idea then =/ how about studying abroad though?

hello kitty clan leader

バスガス爆発ブスバスガイド ;]
(#359 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-08-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelazors View Post
yeah even in the usa it's hard to find jobs if you have visible body art, and you'd think things were pretty liberal here. *sigh* guess i'll have to rethink the whole teaching idea then =/ how about studying abroad though?
That I don't know, I've never looked into any info related to schooling, but you also have to think about how this whole body art and body piercing thing is being perceived on a student. Again, they tend to somehow think of you of a rebel right, and I think that, most rebels are being perceived as someone who is not as good at school or if they will work hard at school, so thats something else that you may want to think about
(#360 (permalink))
Old
kaelazors (Offline)
おっす!

09-08-2008, 06:19 PM

very true... thanks!!

hello kitty clan leader

バスガス爆発ブスバスガイド ;]
Closed Thread