JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do you like tattoos?
Yes, I think tattoos can look great. 57 62.64%
No, I think that tattoos are nasty scars. 2 2.20%
Maybe, occasionally I've seen a good tattoo and it's cool but mostly they are rubbish. 32 35.16%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#361 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
09-08-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelazors View Post
omg i didn't know traveling to japan was so strict now =O they really take your photo and fingerprints? i just went two years ago and didn't go through that, but i guess a lot has changed since then. so i have a question... will studying abroad in japan be difficult if i have a tattoo on my wrist and a lip ring? i also plan on getting more tattoos after i get the money, but those will be on my back, hip, or thigh and can be covered with clothes. the wrist one can also be covered with a watch or wristband. and i'm guessing teaching english in japan would be extremely difficult if i have tats and the lip ring still yeah?
You should have no problems studying abroad, as that isn't really based off your appearance, and in most cases, those who are hiring you will never even see your face. Teaching English over there, as most people said, is another story. I have every intention to go there to teach English, and if I ever get a tattoo, it would never be anywhere on my body that isn't covered up with clothes everyday. With your wrist tattoo, as long as you can cover that up while your in school with a watch or bracelet, you should be ok there too. The lip ring, unfortunately, I can almost promise you will have to go. I have 2 ear rings, which might pass if I were a woman, but, I am not, so I'll probably even have to take those out >.< In the US those might fly, but I doubt they would in Japan.

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#362 (permalink))
Old
superotaku123 (Offline)
New to JF

09-08-2008, 11:47 PM

if i were u id have that tatoo removed. if u still went with it on, ud be a baka...
(#363 (permalink))
Old
kaelazors (Offline)
おっす!

09-09-2008, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaPapa View Post
You should have no problems studying abroad, as that isn't really based off your appearance, and in most cases, those who are hiring you will never even see your face. Teaching English over there, as most people said, is another story. I have every intention to go there to teach English, and if I ever get a tattoo, it would never be anywhere on my body that isn't covered up with clothes everyday. With your wrist tattoo, as long as you can cover that up while your in school with a watch or bracelet, you should be ok there too. The lip ring, unfortunately, I can almost promise you will have to go. I have 2 ear rings, which might pass if I were a woman, but, I am not, so I'll probably even have to take those out >.< In the US those might fly, but I doubt they would in Japan.
yeah i'll probably just focus on getting to study abroad there and forget about teaching =/ but i can't bear to part w/ my lip ring, esp since i just got it and my tattoos are extremely important to me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by superotaku123 View Post
if i were u id have that tatoo removed. if u still went with it on, ud be a baka...
is that directed towards me? cuz there's not way i'd get it removed =O i just love it too much and it's so expensive to get tattoos removed =[

hello kitty clan leader
anime romance clan delegate

バスガス爆発ブスバスガイド ;]
(#364 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
09-09-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelazors View Post
yeah i'll probably just focus on getting to study abroad there and forget about teaching =/ but i can't bear to part w/ my lip ring, esp since i just got it and my tattoos are extremely important to me too

is that directed towards me? cuz there's not way i'd get it removed =O i just love it too much and it's so expensive to get tattoos removed =[
As much as it sucks, almost any good career job will not let you keep in a lip ring I never got anything done to my face, because I knew it'd just have to come out if I ever wanted to be a teacher. I can sympathize with not wanting to get it out, but when you graduate and start trying to begin your career, tons of good jobs might elude you because of that lip ring

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#365 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
09-11-2008, 02:59 PM

some onsens dont let gaijins in period. just how it is.

tattoos a no no, they DO have some places with onsens for every one reguardless of tattoos or what ever but i never been.

somthing about a public bathhouse doesnt appeal to me.

and as for capsule hotels... i still dont see the appeal to those. maybe cuz i've lived here and it just seems dumb to cram your self into a lil tube.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#366 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
09-11-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
It's not just onsens where tattoos are not permitted, you are also unable to use public swimming pools, or go to water parks. You'll see signs in front of these places telling you that people with tattoos will not be allowed in.

If you want to use an onsen, such as at a ryokan, and have a tattoo, you can always reserve a private bath. Ask as soon as you check in so you can book a good time. This is also a good option for couples who would like to bath together, or simply for those who don't care for the thought of bathing in public.
i've been to Public pools and water parks and my entire back is covered. i never ran into that problem ever. but onsens yes.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

(#367 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

09-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Sure, but staying there involves bathing, and staying in traditional accommodation requires communal nude bathing.

The last thing i would wish is to cause offence in such a spiritual setting
not to be a dick but your tossing around alot of misinformation here.

hes talking about just visiting temples... you can have tattoos and visit temples. go inside. purify your hands and look around and do things.

the whole tattoo thing has really been a non issue recently ive notice.

alot more youths are gettin tattoos

example: go to shibuya Crossing and wait for the light to turn green for walking, you'll be able to pick out at least 5+ people with tattoos walking around easily probably even more.

MR.JF & Jf God

(#368 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-11-2008, 04:46 PM

You might have issues at onsen, you might not. It's up to you.

But lets not take jrockers or harajuku scenesters as representitive of Japanese society, that is very niche.

I have been surprised to see one or two point tattoos visable this summer, but that is probably cos I live in a yankee area lol. Actually I had the joy of joys of being stuick with 50 yankee teenage boys this summer for a week. One I noticed was wearing an elastic support around his upper arm, I was like, oh wonder how he hurt himself. Then a few days later he was wearing a t-shirt and I could see a tattoo dragon, and he flipped when I tugged the sleeve up to see, he didn't want me seeing. The rest of the time he kept it covered up, for what ever reason I'm not too sure.

So yeah tattoo = bad boy in one way or another really.

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#369 (permalink))
Old
ydyrys (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via ICQ to ydyrys Send a message via MSN to ydyrys
09-12-2008, 06:51 PM

hi. i have a small tattoo on my leg - a red dragon. Does that will cause a problem with visiting baths in Japan?
thanks in advance
(#370 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-12-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydyrys View Post
hi. i have a small tattoo on my leg - a red dragon. Does that will cause a problem with visiting baths in Japan?
thanks in advance
Have you read this thread?
Closed Thread