JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Trip Reports (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-trip-reports/)
-   -   The Onsen (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-trip-reports/421-onsen.html)

samokan 01-25-2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fijah (Post 371695)
Seriously guys.

If you have a tattoo on your leg by your foot. Does that mean that you really cant take a bath there? I really want to bath when I get there... luckily enough I havent tattooed it in yet.. kinda waiting for how bad it is with tattoos in onsens.

ive been to some onsen where they really put a big announcement at the door that if you have a tattoo they will kick you out, so it would be much better to ask the staff before entering in and then will be kicked out, that would be embarassing..

Fijah 01-25-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai007 (Post 371758)
Some places are stricter than others... a small one like that on an obvious gaijin might be allowed to pass at some places (because you probably aren't yakuza...), but many people who see it will think you are an American criminal or gang member, and still might refuse you for that. I'd wait to get it until after returning from Japan if you don't want to possibly be denied entry or kicked out. The rules at nearly every onsen I visited said clearly "No tattoos!", and most places enforce that.

Naa ;<. Crap.

Guess Ill have to wait then. Thanx.

Rogozhin 02-04-2008 11:21 AM

I hear Beppu is the onsen capital of Japan. Anyone been there?

SSJup81 02-04-2008 02:33 PM

I've always wanted to go to an onsen, especially ones with very nice scenery (greenery, rather), but I'm way too self-conscious for something like that and would probably feel out of place being a "gaijin" and all, especially a "black" gaijin. :mtongue: Okay, I'm not entirely serious there, but I probably would feel self-conscious because of the nudity thing since I am extremely private in that regard. I also wouldn't want to go by myself either. Maybe if I do ever get into JET, I'll manage to make friends who'll just invite me along.

As for the nudity problem, which is solely an "American thing"...do you all feel that most Americans have a problem with nudity because we view it as something private?

samurai007 02-04-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogozhin (Post 388467)
I hear Beppu is the onsen capital of Japan. Anyone been there?

I passed through it. I felt, in the little time I was there, that it was too modern and commercial. I prefer more old-fashioned style onsens. I'm sure Beppu has some of those around as well, somewhere, but I had a ferry to catch to get to Matsuyama and the 2000 year old Dogo Onsen.

minniemouse 02-04-2008 06:32 PM

Tell me about Onsen in Hakone and in Asakusa, please?

Is it a mix onsen (male and female)?

many thanks for your help! :ywave:

Rogozhin 02-10-2008 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai007 (Post 388697)
I passed through it. I felt, in the little time I was there, that it was too modern and commercial. I prefer more old-fashioned style onsens. I'm sure Beppu has some of those around as well, somewhere, but I had a ferry to catch to get to Matsuyama and the 2000 year old Dogo Onsen.

Thanks for the response. I think I'll stop by the next time I go there.

EveV 02-10-2008 05:08 AM

I have a question about this springness.
Like how clean are they?
I dunno large bodies of water where random tons of people go into kinda gross me out.
They look so nice. But I'm scaredddd of the germssss.

samurai007 02-10-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EveV (Post 394271)
I have a question about this springness.
Like how clean are they?
I dunno large bodies of water where random tons of people go into kinda gross me out.
They look so nice. But I'm scaredddd of the germssss.

Everyone washes thoroughly before getting in the onsen. And the water is constantly flowing out. It's clean.

kyo_9 02-10-2008 10:27 AM

thats nice.. but is it possible if I wear shorts before I enter the public bath? Is it an obligatory to get nude before entering it?