JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#461 (permalink))
Old
Minorea (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Arg, I really, REALLY want to go to Japan!
I want to a real kimono (or yakata)
I want a real sunshade,
I want EVERYTHING!

I looking for kimono or yuakata in here, but those what I saw cost too much and are not very good anymore.

I don't seek adventures, adventures seek me, and they don't find. Blind morans...
(#462 (permalink))
Old
kimazy (Offline)
New to JF

about the third pic - 03-23-2008, 03:55 AM

I really like the kimono in the third pix where the lady is sitting down and looked to the side. Do you have that kimono or know where to get one? I reallllly like. please let me know where i can buy one just like that. thank you.

\
(#463 (permalink))
Old
kawaistar (Offline)
New to JF

03-26-2008, 11:24 PM

where can one find kimonos in new york city,they are so pretty and delicate but complex
(#464 (permalink))
Old
grayskiesraena (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to grayskiesraena
I have a kimono - 04-05-2008, 06:24 PM

I actually have a kimono...I WISH! It's real silk and all, but I got it at H&M for $17...I want to go to Japan so much! I wish a had a real kimono! They're so awesome!

Gray Skies Raena
(#465 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-09-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avary_Ninja View Post
It's not "authentic" as the authentic obi is wrapped and tied using complicated manoeuvres. They actually have schools in Japan that teach the art of tying the obi. But as Japanese girls get ever more westernized the art of obi tying is in a slump. Japanese women have no qualms cheating and wear the snap-on obi. For an observer there's no difference, so there's no reason to be nitpicking.
Visually there is not a lot of difference, but unless the one time I had an obi properly tied (or that is what I was told and it took quite a while) it felt more fitted and secure than the snap-on ones. Of course if the snap-on on is custom made to fit snugly then the feel should not be different unless there is less fabric to add to the weight of the obi.

I am still needing to make a good obi for my kimono so I can wear to A-Kon in May. I have had my favorite deep purple kimono with white crane since the early '90s and have never made or found the right obi for it. Its seems I am always grabbing a last minute substitution, so I guess I better get busy if I want it to look right this time!

I have a blue cotton yakuta my mother gave me a few years ago, but I don't wear it that often because it is a replica of one in the Smithsonian museum and I don't want to damage it.
(#466 (permalink))
Old
yukiko357 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to yukiko357
Smile 04-14-2008, 10:25 PM

i love kimonos......,.im even gonna make me one soon i hope !
(#467 (permalink))
Old
kiomi21 (Offline)
New to JF

japan dang! - 04-14-2008, 10:34 PM

ah...i really dont know what to talk about im just bored!
ah! when im like 17 or 18 me && my frnd && sister && friends bro is going to move to japan....i have like soooo many things in myroom that is from japan!
my friend tammy knows someone in japan && she gets him to import authentic kids toys from the gigantic toy store in japan.... && i already know mostly japanese so its all good
i have authentic kurumi && hellokitty things...oh! and chococat...but the chococat stuff isnt from japan....i want a kimono.... oh well ill live in japan one day so its all good...and my friend the one thats going to japan with me (grace) is moving in with me over the summer!
(#468 (permalink))
Old
septemberblue (Offline)
New to JF

04-21-2008, 05:23 PM

I was wondering if any one knows of a good online shop or a physical place in NYC where you can buy kimono and obi accessories.

Paper due wont be very active next two week's.
(#469 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-21-2008, 06:49 PM

If you are traveling to Orlando, Diney's Epcot resort has a World Lagoon thingy that have a Japan section. There you will find a store, very similar to a standard sovenir store in Japan. Kimonos are available there.
(#470 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-04-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septemberblue View Post
I was wondering if any one knows of a good online shop or a physical place in NYC where you can buy kimono and obi accessories.
I recently bought a very nice used kimono from Kimono Lily (was Chuu) for an extremely good price. They sell online, but also at a market in NYC. Here is the url for their page with directions. www.chuu.com/ctf/locationandshow

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.