JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-06-2009, 10:35 PM

No please don't. The only people that would understand it would be the people who know Japanese culture, which isn't a lot in America.

People will just think you're weird, and it makes you look like an obsessed with Japan.

But when you go to Japan, it'll be okay.

猿も木から落ちる
(#32 (permalink))
Old
animelover32 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to animelover32
02-07-2009, 05:06 PM

I dress in the Harajuku fashion all the time. Of course people will think you're weird but that's the fun thing about it! If you're having a hard time finding the good clothes check thift stores and places like that. That's where I find some pretty good Harajuku clothes.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
AniMangaCat (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
No please don't. The only people that would understand it would be the people who know Japanese culture, which isn't a lot in America.

People will just think you're weird, and it makes you look like an obsessed with Japan.

wow-ow no offense but ur
lyk da only negative comment
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
well for me i dress decora-like every day and im the only person who wears skirts and bright socks , well except for this troop of girls who wear petticoats on the same day sometimes. sometimes ppl come and say 'i rly lyk ur outfit!'
and one time i wore bright NEON PINK socks and my P.E. teacher
wuz staring at them and wuz lyk 'U RLY PIMP THOSE SOCKS!' and everyone wuz staring at them. it wuz funny and dat day everyone omg i luv ur socks
but ther wuz one time this group of girls said lyk i hate the way u dress. but they looked lyk da slutty-ish group
so you dont need to afraid of horrible comments just dont start extreme the first day. un less ur skool is rly intolerable just try! well, as a start try wearing a skirt to skool with some bright socks and see the reaction and then you can try some more stuffs
(#34 (permalink))
Old
kurezi (Offline)
I like cookies.

03-18-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post

Not quite. In Harajuku, maybe. But there are a lot of older conservative Japanese people who would give your unique clothes a good stare.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
bhl88 (Offline)
JF Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
03-18-2009, 04:01 PM

Just do it (I live in a conservative country and do weird stuff).

Declare war and polarize people (either they are your friends or enemies). It makes your goal much more satisfying with resistance than without resistance.

Info on Lolita Fashion: TeamSugar LiveJournal

(#36 (permalink))
Old
SmMo (Offline)
@ Uni and lurking on JF

03-18-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMangaCat View Post
wow-ow no offense but ur
lyk da only negative comment
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
well for me i dress decora-like every day and im the only person who wears skirts and bright socks , well except for this troop of girls who wear petticoats on the same day sometimes. sometimes ppl come and say 'i rly lyk ur outfit!'
and one time i wore bright NEON PINK socks and my P.E. teacher
wuz staring at them and wuz lyk 'U RLY PIMP THOSE SOCKS!' and everyone wuz staring at them. it wuz funny and dat day everyone omg i luv ur socks
but ther wuz one time this group of girls said lyk i hate the way u dress. but they looked lyk da slutty-ish group
so you dont need to afraid of horrible comments just dont start extreme the first day. un less ur skool is rly intolerable just try! well, as a start try wearing a skirt to skool with some bright socks and see the reaction and then you can try some more stuffs
wow, i can't believe how much you butchered your own language here... I assume that you're American...

I mean i understand the need of wanting to stand out from the crowd, but "fangirling" around in something even most japanese think of as weird, doesn't it feel really akward?

Laid back.

Has Claimed Aya Kamiki, mine!
(#37 (permalink))
Old
kemikaru (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to kemikaru
03-18-2009, 09:45 PM

I've seen some "outrageous" kind of styles of dressing. The high school I go to, when I was a freshman, there were a whole group of seniors who did the "Liberty Spikes" hair-do, pants torn to hell, and a whole bunch of hardcore death-metally kinda things. I was open-minded, but they'd torn apart everyday by my grade... But because of HOW they wore it (with confidence) most of them got respect, and no one dissed how they dressed.

What I'm basically saying is, it's not about what the style looks like. It's about HOW you wear it. If you wear what you wear confidently, then you'll be fine. If you walk around looking insecure in what you're wearing, you're going to get crap from people.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

03-18-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemikaru View Post
I've seen some "outrageous" kind of styles of dressing. The high school I go to, when I was a freshman, there were a whole group of seniors who did the "Liberty Spikes" hair-do, pants torn to hell, and a whole bunch of hardcore death-metally kinda things. I was open-minded, but they'd torn apart everyday by my grade... But because of HOW they wore it (with confidence) most of them got respect, and no one dissed how they dressed.

What I'm basically saying is, it's not about what the style looks like. It's about HOW you wear it. If you wear what you wear confidently, then you'll be fine. If you walk around looking insecure in what you're wearing, you're going to get crap from people.
Hmm, I semi-agree. Sometimes you can't help getting abuse from ignorant people no matter how you carry yourself. To be frank, if I wore something like sweet lolita and walked around outside, I would probably get my head kicked in regardless of anything else.

Ignorant people don't really care how you carry yourself. They just look at you, think you 'look funny,' and take it as a reason to hurl abuse at you.

It's a lot easier to avoid trouble if you are with other people who dress in the same style, but when alone people think you are an easy target. It also depends on the setting, the area, the popularity of the style etc. Around here, gothic lolita maybe you could get away with if it's casual, people will just assume it's goth [though still expect problems with THAT] - but ganguro/decora/sweet lolita - good luck to you.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
kemikaru (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to kemikaru
03-18-2009, 11:41 PM

I can see what you mean. I went to AnimeNEXT back in June, and the place it was at was like... a big complex of hotels and such... It was packed even if the convention wasn't there, and no one knew what was up with the wacky attire flooding the area. So many questions were asked, especially to my friend who was cosplaying. I wasn't, but my fuschia kitty ears hat and semi-rainbow brite attire was still getting me stared at.

It's tough with the "crazy" styles of Japanese fashion. I've never really done it to any bit of 'extreme' but I can imagine. I was attacked for wearing skulls & camouflage on a regular basis my freshman year of high school... And looked at as a member of the Bloods for wearing a lot of red and black. I had to withstand the abuse... Then when I altered my 'style' a bit, and added more color, and laid my eyeliner on thicker and more like this:
(mind you, my hair was still its natural brown), I was getting looked at as if I were a pothead. It was just not cool at all... I still get a crap, but no one says anything to my face anymore because I'd just get downright nasty because of the things being said to me.

Some people just are all-round mean and ignorant. It's not guaranteed to work if you wear what you wear comfortably and confidently 100%... But I realized it does do something. Then again, I'll say I've never sported harajuku style, or decora... Or anything out in public. The most I've done is worn my Kanon-inspired haircut styled and spiked out to the side a bit.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
03-18-2009, 11:51 PM

Other peoples opinions dont matter especially if they shallow enough to think you are a freak because you dress a certain way. As long as you are comfortable with yourself and you like what you are wearing i say go for it. After all you are wearing the clothes for you NOT for them.