JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

12-01-2008, 08:12 AM

I recommend that the OP look for the 4-minute type made in Japan. You will like it much better than the 2-3 minute kinds as far as the noodles.

With the 2-3 minute kinds, the noodles have been deep-fried, which really destroys the taste and texture of the noodles.

With the 4-minute, the noodles have only been dried. You will actually be able to "smell the wheat", which is the synonym for 'good ramen' here in Japan.

Here are two of my favorite 4-minute ones. 'Chuuka Zanmai' by Myojo and 'Men No Tatsujin' by Nissin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r_image.jpg (35.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg r_images.jpg (37.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Nagoyankee : 12-01-2008 at 01:56 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

12-01-2008, 12:22 PM

really?
*demands mother to look around in asian supermarket*
I'm such a bitch. XD

I have the nissin noodles kind which are okayish i guess. But the ramen i ate in japanese restaurants are soo much nicer.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Naoko (Offline)
Evil Muffin 奈央子

Send a message via AIM to Naoko
12-01-2008, 01:33 PM

Ooh, we have an international market here that I go to. They have the 4-5 min ones Nagoyankee is talking about. There's like 4 packets of stuff in them xD. So yummy :3

There's even udon!!!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-01-2008, 02:42 PM

When I went back to Japan my wife found some ramen that wasn't instant. It was great. Just add meat and toppings. I threw out the package so I don't remember the name. It was as close to a Ramenya as you can get.
I love Pho too, but it is very different.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
12-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
I recommend that the OP look for the 4-minute type made in Japan. You will like it much better than the 2-3 minute kinds as far as the noodles.

With the 2-3 minute kinds, the noodles have been deep-fried, which really destroys the taste and texture of the noodles.

With the 4-minute, the noodles have only been dried. You will actually be able to "smell the wheat", which is the synonym for 'good ramen' here in Japan.

Here are two of my favorite 4-minute ones. 'Chuuka Zanmai' by Myojo and 'Men No Tatsujin' by Nissin.
we have tons of chuukazanmai here, but i prefer the "fresh" kind of instant ramen to the freeze dried. i've tried many brands XD

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#16 (permalink))
Old
wilsontheterrible (Offline)
JF Regular

12-01-2008, 04:23 PM

As stated before the cheap dime packages of Ramen aren't the good stuff. I make my own stuff whenever I have the time to hunt down some chakamen, ginger root, garlic cloves, and the random stuff I dump into it for flavor.

In its defense though I swear by Maruchan Ramen Noodles for their inexpensive nature. They look cheap, taste cheap, but the fact they sell for exactly what their worth (being about 17 cents) makes me happy.

"Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence." - Henrik Tikkanen

Last edited by wilsontheterrible : 12-01-2008 at 11:45 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

12-01-2008, 06:05 PM

I've been eating Sapporo Ichiban noodles lately. They're quite good. for instant noodles. I liked when Smack Ramen was still available at my store... but they stopped selling it.

One brand I will never eat again is Maruchan.... that stuff smells awful.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#18 (permalink))
Old
joeyj (Offline)
JF Regular

12-01-2008, 07:02 PM

There is a huge difference between cup noodle ramen on that kind you get in restaurants. I just had some yesterday, and it was soooo good.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-01-2008, 07:05 PM

Of the types of noodles I can get here that are either fresh or dried, I prefer ramen. And though I eat a lot of the dried variety (it more than convenient for scarfing down at work in front of the monitor), it is defintely far from having fresh ramen noodles and homemade broths. But I stick to Nong Shim when settling for instant. Generally, if its on the shelf in my local Walmart, I am not going to eat it; except lately I have seen my Nong Shim Spicy Seafood showing up in their stock. Its cheaper at the local Asian grocery though.

I also love soba, but haven't found a good one for the office. Its limited to either home cooking or Tei An in downtown Dallas. At Tei An you can even watch the soba being made while you are waiting for your dish to arrive.

Pho and Korean glass noodles are ok, but seem to only fill you up without much taste. Even so, sometimes I really like the dishes made with them.

And there is udon. I used to like it, but lately I have gotten to the point that I don't care for the taste or the texture. Don't matter if its fresh at the local soba restaurant or the dried instant. I can taste the difference, but my reaction is the same. You can have the udon, I'll take rice.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.

Last edited by TalnSG : 12-01-2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typos
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Naoko (Offline)
Evil Muffin 奈央子

Send a message via AIM to Naoko
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM

Most definitely. I miss living in Hawaii now I demand fish cakes when I eat ramen!!!