JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-02-2008, 07:02 PM

I have a new favorite instant as of this afternoon!

But unless you like Korean Kimchi (not Japanese Kimuchi) you may not like it. Just because it seemed interesting and was on sale, I picked up Paldo's Stir-fried Kimchi Noodles. I was not expecting anything much more than a odd flavor to my usual kimchi ramen salt-fest. But I got a pleasant surprise. The seasoning packet was smaller than usual, but when opened was stout enough to set off a sneeze. Then I picked up what is usually the packet of dried bits of veggies and/or meat (usually 90% green onion). Surprise! Foil packet, not cellophane, opened to reveal real kimchi! Bite size slices of fermented cabbage and plenty of sauce to make up for the smaller packet of powder. It could have used at least two more of that size packet, but even this small amount is appreciated. If the rest of their ramens are or similar quality I recommend them. Not fresh, but better than your average instant packages.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
12-02-2008, 07:37 PM

First things first...

You want the best instant package kind? Get Maruchan. Period.

You want the best cup of noodles kind? Get Nissin. Period.

Do not make the mistake of mixing these two brands up with their counterparts (meaning, don't get Maruchan cup, and don't get Nissin packaged). This is assuming you live in the states and have no access to an Asian food market. There are plenty of other more obscure brand instant noodles you can find in Asian supermarkets that own both of those brands.

But if you can afford it, go OUT and eat ramen XD

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#33 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
12-02-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikado View Post
First things first...

Do not make the mistake of mixing these two brands up with their counterparts (meaning, don't get Maruchan cup, and don't get Nissin packaged). This is assuming you live in the states and have no access to an Asian food market. There are plenty of other more obscure brand instant noodles you can find in Asian supermarkets that own both of those brands.

But if you can afford it, go OUT and eat ramen XD
the best instant ramen never comes in

"beef" "chicken" "oriental" "pork"

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#34 (permalink))
Old
bunnyxfoo (Offline)
Just promise ok...

Send a message via AIM to bunnyxfoo
12-03-2008, 02:57 AM

Ramen is like the breakfast lunch and dinner food XD but i would prefer the fresh noodles at a asian store.

chu!~
(#35 (permalink))
Old
tylersangle88 (Offline)
女, im a girl!

Send a message via AIM to tylersangle88 Send a message via MSN to tylersangle88 Send a message via Yahoo to tylersangle88 Send a message via Skype™ to tylersangle88
12-03-2008, 05:49 AM

I love ramen noodles! And yes I am talking about the cheap 10 cent instant kind. It's like the only thing we can afford at the moment but if you add your own little spices and hot sauces to it then it tastes rele good. I like to make it as spicy as possible. I only like the chicken flavored ramen. I don't like the taste of the broth of the others and the chicken flavored ramen is the only one that I think tastes good when you add spices to it.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-03-2008, 07:21 AM

The only use for the 10 cent ramen is to eat it as a dry snack. Before opening the bag, squeeze it to crush the dried noodles inside. Then open the bag on one side, remove the flavor packet, and empty the packet contents back into the bag. Shake the bag well to get it all over the broken up dried noodles, and you have a flavorful dry snack, which, in my opinion, tastes better than the cooked 10 cent ramen.

Here in Japan I go through lots of the 4 minute ramen. It cost about 100 yen per pack, so it's not expensive. But no one simply eats 4 minute ramen as-is. I always add an egg, some dried wakame, and meat of some type, usually bits of ham, bacon, or thin sliced beef. My favorite variety is shin-ramen, which is very spicy.

If I want to get fancy, I can buy fresh ramen noodles and make good ramen from scratch, but it's much easier just to go to the ramen shop across the street and get it there. A bowl of the good stuff costs only 800 yen, it would cost more to make it myself.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

12-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikado View Post
First things first...

You seriously like Maruchan??

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

12-03-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
its good like that
Lol, yes it is.

When my step-father noticed that we used eggs in our noodles, he was surprised.
-- And I was surprised that he was surprised.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
12-03-2008, 07:26 PM

I like the Yakisoba brand. and they don't take 2-3 min to cook. Damn you like eating your noodles raw.

These ones take 5 min. 6 if I want it thicker. let it cool and viola! yum yum. They come in different flavours. Teriyaki is my favourite.

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0
(#40 (permalink))
Old
NightChilde25 (Offline)
In my own little world

Send a message via AIM to NightChilde25 Send a message via Yahoo to NightChilde25
12-03-2008, 08:12 PM

I'm lucky to have an asian market nearby that actually makes it's own ramen daily. The instant are fine in a pinch or if you're almost dead broke but I love buying the fresh noodles, still covered in flour, and making my own. For me, it's the very best. I usually throw in sliced green onions, mushrooms, garlic, and whatever else I can find in my kitchen. It's so good. You just can't compare it to that instant stuff.