JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
pentalarc (Offline)
New to JF

Sushi Semi-Newbie Looking for Advice - 01-06-2010, 10:24 PM

I didn't start eating sushi until a few years ago. (I grew up in a house where sushi was forbidden, and was sort of raised to be afraid of it. . .literally. Then, I made the mistake of trying it at a Chinese buffet, which, a I later found out, was probably the worst thing I could do.

Fortunately, about a year ago, when someone found out that the only sushi I had ever had was from a Chinese buffet, they convinced me to try it again. . .and I loved it.

I don't eat it all that often, maybe about once every other month to twice a month or so. I've liked nearly everything I've tried so far* but the problem is, I can't decide what to try next.

I don't want to just try randomly, because I know that most times, you have to order two pieces at a time, and I'm a very polite person, who knows that in a Japanese restaurant, especially with sushi, it's very rude to leave anything on your plate. When eating nigrizushi and gunkanzushi, I try to do it the proper way, all in one bite, so I could deal with just politely, stoically, choking down one piece that I didn't like, but if it's too bad, I don't want to have a problem with other one. And I don't want to be rude to the chef, or to make it look like I think it's badly made or poor quality. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean it's not good, obviously, especially if I'm trying it for the first time. Add to that the bit of worry, because sushi is one of the few types of seafood I really like. (I like calimari, trout (especially meuniere or amandine), or occaisionally catfish.)

* I tend to prefer nigri and gunkan. I don't like the complex rolls, (California roll, Spider Roll, Philadelphia roll, Firecracker roll, etc) because. . .well, the tastes just seem to overpower each other, I can't taste the "main" ingredient. Also, a lot of them list three things I like an one I don't. I don't know, it just seems like a lot of the time, the rolls are just one thing away from sounding good.**

So, here's what I've had so far:

Liked (or loved*)

Ika*
Tamago*
Ikura
Tobiko*
Masago

Neutral:

Maguro (tasted a bit bland for me)
Firecracker Roll (all I could taste was the sauce, which was good, but not what I wanted)

Disliked:

Spider Roll (just too much at once, ended up blending into overly sour/bitter, couldn't identify the different things, overpowering)

So, I'm turning it over to the experts. Judging by what I like, what do you think I should try next?

** I did read about a roll that was Ika, Tobiko, and Masago, which sounds amazing, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-06-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentalarc View Post

So, here's what I've had so far:

Liked (or loved*)

Ika*
Tamago*
Ikura
Tobiko*
Masago

Neutral:

Maguro (tasted a bit bland for me)

So, I'm turning it over to the experts. Judging by what I like, what do you think I should try next?
I'm not an expert but you'd probably like tai (sea bream/snapper), or a good ebi (prawn) nigiri. I suspect your maguro was the lean red meat 'akami' so perhaps give tuna another whirl with a different cut such as chuutoro. Slightly pricier, but the best flavours of fish are all stored in the fat. It's like beef; the more marbled the cut the stronger the taste.
Saba (mackerel) usually comes lightly vinegared and is lovely. Tako (octopus) is similar to squid with a slightly more robust texture and a 'taste of the sea' flavor whereas good squid tends to be creamy. you might like it if you liked Ikura. Hamachi (yellowtail/amberjack) is probably one of my favourites. Also not exactly sushi, but clams cooked 'sakamushi' or steamed over sake are delicious.

You would possibly dislike the strong taste of uni (sea urchin) and iwashi (sardine). Kani (crab) you may or may not like. It's a very mild taste uncooked and the texture is not to everyone's fancy. Most people I know prefer it cooked.

Inari-zushi is a veggie option; rice stuffed inside a fried tofu pouch. Slightly sweet so again not to everyone's taste.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-06-2010, 11:24 PM

Bring some tissues with you, and if you order something you don't like, then wrap the other one in tissue and stick it in your pocket.

And try Unagi, but only use unagi sauce, not wasabi and soy sauce.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
01-07-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentalarc View Post
I tend to prefer nigri and gunkan. I don't like the complex rolls, (California roll, Spider Roll, Philadelphia roll, Firecracker roll, etc) because. . .well, the tastes just seem to overpower each other, I can't taste the "main" ingredient. Also, a lot of them list three things I like an one I don't. I don't know, it just seems like a lot of the time, the rolls are just one thing away from sounding good.
YES! Good thinking and sounds like my thinking most of the time. Watch out, the vast majority of Americans eating sushi disagree with this approach - but that is their loss.

I will second Columbine's recommendation for Hamachi. It's flavor is mild and when at its best the texture and slight sweetness is my favorite. Saba is good too, if you are in a good restaurant, but it can vary in more mediocre places.

MMM's suggestion works well with nigiri, if you have paper napkins. What can work even better, if you are at the sushi bar rather than a table and have someone nearby who is a novice and sampling like you, is to offer it to them.
I lucked into this once and have done it a few times since. I consider it a perk of polite conversation with others at the sushi bar. You don't comment on your opinion of it; just ask if they would like to try it. You get perks for generosity, avoid a second mouthful you dislike and if they actually like it, all the better. I have also been on the receiving end of this scenario and sometimes you make new friends in the process too.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

01-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
. What can work even better, if you are at the sushi bar rather than a table and have someone nearby who is a novice and sampling like you, is to offer it to them.
I lucked into this once and have done it a few times since. I consider it a perk of polite conversation with others at the sushi bar. You don't comment on your opinion of it; just ask if they would like to try it. You get perks for generosity, avoid a second mouthful you dislike and if they actually like it, all the better. I have also been on the receiving end of this scenario and sometimes you make new friends in the process too.
That is GENIUS! I shall remember that, although luckily I've only come across a few things I've disliked (minced raw salmon gunkan. flavorless slime *gag* Avoid.)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-07-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
YES! Good thinking and sounds like my thinking most of the time. Watch out, the vast majority of Americans eating sushi disagree with this approach - but that is their loss.
The vast majority of Americans where? This isn't true where I live.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

01-08-2010, 12:42 AM

I enjoyed sushi quite a bit when I lived in America, but since moving to Japan I have learned what "good" sushi is. Most American restaurants only offer mediocre imitations of Japanese sushi.

Even in Japan the quality can vary greatly. The stuff you get from a convenience store is not going to be as good as what you find in a restaurant, and not all restaurants are equal either. In some restaurants the sushi is so fresh that some of it is literally still moving. It can be startling to see your sushi twitch when you add a little soy sauce to it...

The best sushi is probably uni (sea-urchin), which has an interesting flavor. Maguro (tuna) is common, but varies greatly in grade. It's easy to taste the difference in quality. The best tuna is called "otoro", and is generally quite expensive.

Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo is surrounded by little stall-type restaurants with 3 or 4 stools in front of a small counter, but the sushi at these little places is the best you will find in the world. Make sure you pay a visit to Tsukiji if and when you visit Japan.

Here is some information about sushi in Japan: YouTube - The Japanese Tradition - Sushi
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Dzunku (Offline)
New to JF

Gunkan? - 01-08-2010, 04:40 AM

What is gunkan? I love sushi, but have never heard of gunkan.

I start with saba and finish with saba. But quality of saba differs greatly from restaurant to restaurant. It must be vinegared in a right touch. I do not know about the technique but can tell the difference. My another favorite is uni. If uni is really fresh, it does not smell much. Ask chef if it is fresh if you do not know the reputation of the restaurant. I had a really bad experience in Texas couldn't eat it agin for a year. All my friends told me that I was a fool ordering uni in Texas!

I like hamachi, toro, tobiko, and yamagobo-maki also.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

01-08-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzunku View Post
What is gunkan? I love sushi, but have never heard of gunkan.
Gunkan is a kind of nigiri wrapped in nori so you can keep the topping from falling off; say, with fish eggs. Like this: http://shizuokasushi.files.wordpress...nkan-ikura.jpg It's called 'gunkan' because they look like little warships on the plate.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Dzunku (Offline)
New to JF

01-08-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Gunkan is a kind of nigiri wrapped in nori so you can keep the topping from falling off; say, with fish eggs. Like this: http://shizuokasushi.files.wordpress...nkan-ikura.jpg It's called 'gunkan' because they look like little warships on the plate.
Thanks for the explanation. Ikura in the photo is one of my favorite also. It is odd not hearing the term "gunkan" since I was born and raised in Japan.

I found a video showing proper manner in Sushi restaurant:
YouTube - sushi