(#11 (permalink))
Old
AnthonyHisashi (Offline)
Metal Artist :D

Send a message via MSN to AnthonyHisashi
10-19-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRossTso View Post
The main topic is getting sidetracked rather quickly don't you think? ;( We'll talk more on your thread ;P. I'd rather not be afflicted with any of those!
aha, ironically my hearing is starting to go, and aha ok ^^ sorry ^^

Hmmm Cool.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-19-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Are you using cold rice? If not, your nori wil get soggy from the steam even if your rice is cooked sushi-perfect.
Haha no way! I was making sushi with my girlfriend the other day and we had this exact same problem. The rolls fell apart after we cut them... cold rice - gotcha!

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#13 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-19-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Haha no way! I was making sushi with my girlfriend the other day and we had this exact same problem. The rolls fell apart after we cut them... cold rice - gotcha!

Looks pretty good to me ;D! I have to try it soon! Yay!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-19-2010, 09:14 PM

And VERY sharp knives to cut the rolls.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
And VERY sharp knives to cut the rolls.
Now that you mention it... my chef's knife is a bit dull...
(#16 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-20-2010, 12:27 AM

It might not be what you're looking for, but have you ever tried "temakizushi"? It's like the "taco" of the sushi world. It's the lazy man's sushi, in a sense. You just take some rice and wrap it in a triangular cone shape and top it with pretty much whatever you want. It takes like 5 seconds and tastes just about the same.

Even if the rice is still steamin', I usually eat it too fast for the seaweed to get soggy.

Chirashi-zushi is also pretty good and doesn't seem like as much work as roll sushi. In this case you can just eat the seaweed on the side. Or kinda cut it up and lay it on top.

Anyways, good luck!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
10-20-2010, 03:10 AM

Eh.... =\

Your problem isn't the rice...
It's not because you put in too much vinegar, and it's not because you too much water, and it's not because the rice is hot.

If you add vinegar to the rice while it's still hot, some of the vinegar will evaporate; the only way you've added too much is if your rice is literally sitting in it.

If you cook the rice w/ too little water, then the rice is going to be too hard and terrible to eat. Too much water and your rice will turn to mush. Regardless, rice absorbs a lot of water for it's size. So there's going to be a 'lot' of water in it even if you cook it right.

The temperature of the rice does affect the nori. However, sushi is meant to be served while the neta [toppings] are cold and the shari [rice] is warm [a little above room temp]; cold sushi rice becomes hard and difficult to mold as well as being less tasteful.

Your problem is your seaweed. The seaweed you buy at your local market is just really cheap and will get soggy within 2-3 minutes. Really nothing you can do about it. If I remember right, a 10ct. box of Yuuka grade nori from Yamasho costs about $500. It's one of the best grades of nori you can buy in the us.

And the shape of your sushi? The problem there lies in two factors. Firstly, I'm assuming you're using a roller with very thin and rounded bamboo strips. This makes it kinda hard to shape it 'perfectly'. Secondly, you're not doing it right. While rolling the maki, press down on the middle of the roll to form a square shape. Maki-mono shouldn't be a perfect circle.

The reason why your maki are falling apart is because a) you're adding too many toppings or b) you're using too much rice or c) you're just not rolling it right.
To roll it correctly: when you're rolling the seaweed over your toppings, make sure the seaweed side connects with the rice and that you pull the seaweed towards you to further compact the fillings.
Nori sticks to rice; but not to nori.

As for cutting the roll, you don't necessarily need a razor sharp knife.
Just make sure you're coating your knife in a bit of water to prevent the rice from sticking and it should be all right; although, make sure your knife can at least cut through butter. Otherwise, you may as well try using a mallet to cut it.

Also, your filling; make sure they're as dry as possible. Water causes rice to separate.

Hope this helps.

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

10-20-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post

You didn't layer your rice evenly through out and your fillings are of odd shapes. Because of that, some parts of your maki are more compact than the rest; this leads to it falling apart.
Next time, wet your hands lightly before you handle the rice. This will help prevent it from sticking to your hands.
You only need about a 1.5cm of rice...

Also, make sure you create an even edge along the nori with the rice. This is will create a more attractive and stable ends.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

10-20-2010, 03:23 AM

Sushi Gallery

may as well check this link out as well~

(#20 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

10-20-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuujirou View Post
However, sushi is meant to be served while the neta [toppings] are cold and the shari [rice] is warm [a little above room temp]
lol That's so far from the truth. I challenge you. How much experience do you have eating at high-end sushi places in Japan?