JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Soggy Seaweed? (Making Sushi) - 10-19-2010, 12:59 AM

I'm trying to make sushi (I have no formal training) at home, and my seaweed always gets soggy, which is probably the reason why my sushi doesn't quite in the right shape...

Am I putting too much vinegar? or maybe too much water when cooking the rice? or is it the wrong type of seaweed... (it says nori :S)

Please help! Thank you ^_^!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-19-2010, 01:47 AM

I think there are a ton of different types of seaweed. I wouldn't be surprised if there was seaweed made specifically for sushi (I'm assuming you're trying to make rolled sushi?).

With that said, what kind of sushi are you trying to make? What's your definition of soggy seaweed?

As far as "too much vinegar" in the rice goes, I think that would also depend a bit on the type of sushi, but in my experience I would put just enough vinegar to where you can taste it, but you don't really notice it in there are notice a great change in the consistancy. You definitely don't wanna have any runny vinegar going on.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-19-2010, 01:48 AM

There certainly is nori made specifically for sushi, just the stuff you eat as a snack is different.

But also, if your sushi is getting soggy, then your rice must be soggy. Usually sushi rice is cooked slightly "stiffer" (with less water) than normal rice.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-19-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I think there are a ton of different types of seaweed. I wouldn't be surprised if there was seaweed made specifically for sushi (I'm assuming you're trying to make rolled sushi?).

With that said, what kind of sushi are you trying to make? What's your definition of soggy seaweed?

As far as "too much vinegar" in the rice goes, I think that would also depend a bit on the type of sushi, but in my experience I would put just enough vinegar to where you can taste it, but you don't really notice it in there are notice a great change in the consistancy. You definitely don't wanna have any runny vinegar going on.
I guess I overdid it with the vinegar because I'm afraid of it not being spread evenly.

I was just trying to make some California rolls, Kappa maki rolls, and Avocado rolls.

Umm, the seaweed, it becomes all soft and looks wet. Like paper does when you wet it. (it's not wet though, just soggy. The rice wasn't dripping wet or anything.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
There certainly is nori made specifically for sushi, just the stuff you eat as a snack is different.

But also, if your sushi is getting soggy, then your rice must be soggy. Usually sushi rice is cooked slightly "stiffer" (with less water) than normal rice.
I'm still experimenting with the rice to water ratio, it's my 3rd attempt at it though.

I'm pretty sure it's not the snack ones (I hope not, it comes in a big sheet and has a picture of sushi on the front ).

Okay! Thanks for the advice so far, I'll try less water with the rice next time!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

10-19-2010, 02:28 AM

Are you using cold rice? If not, your nori wil get soggy from the steam even if your rice is cooked sushi-perfect.

Also always keep your nori dry. I keep mine with extra desiccant in a can.
There is a way to dry not-so-fresh nori but I won't introduce it here because last time I did, someone burned his fingers.

EDIT: Maybe I will one more time.

Last edited by Sashimister : 10-19-2010 at 02:33 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-19-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Are you using cold rice? If not, your nori wil get soggy from the steam even if your rice is cooked sushi-perfect.

Also always keep your nori dry. I keep mine with extra desiccant in a can.
There is a way to dry not-so-fresh nori but I won't introduce it here because last time I did, someone burned his fingers.

EDIT: Maybe I will one more time.

Haha, ehh... I'll listen to it but I probably won't burn my fingers... because if it sounds like I would burn my fingers I'd stay WAYYY away from it... (I need my fingers to play guitar ;( )

Oh! Actually... I let the rice cool down, but it wasn't cold it was still warm/hot?

I try to keep my nori dry as best as I can, not sure if putting it in the fridge helps.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
AnthonyHisashi (Offline)
Metal Artist :D

Send a message via MSN to AnthonyHisashi
10-19-2010, 02:37 AM

Guitar is a win

Hmmm Cool.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-19-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyHisashi View Post
Guitar is a win
Ofc ^_^! How can one live without guitar... (OR WELL... MUSIC).
(#9 (permalink))
Old
AnthonyHisashi (Offline)
Metal Artist :D

Send a message via MSN to AnthonyHisashi
10-19-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRossTso View Post
Ofc ^_^! How can one live without guitar... (OR WELL... MUSIC).
haha aye, i'd rather be blind than deaf ^^

Hmmm Cool.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-19-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyHisashi View Post
haha aye, i'd rather be blind than deaf ^^
The main topic is getting sidetracked rather quickly don't you think? ;( We'll talk more on your thread ;P. I'd rather not be afflicted with any of those!