JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mrfil (Offline)
New to JF

Help! 7-11 Sweet Mystery - 11-08-2010, 12:41 AM

Hi all,

Wondering if some kind soul can help me....

We used to live in Japan for a few years, firstly in Ibaraki and then in Gunma. Wherever we went in Japan, my wife used to love buying a particular sweet from 7-11 (although I believe I've seen it at supermarkets and other kombinis)

Now that we don't live in Japan anymore, I had been hoping to surprise her by importing some, but I don't know the name of it and was helping someone would be kind enough to help me out.

These sweets come in a brown pack with gold lettering (from memory there were about 20-24 in a pack). They are long (about the length of a pen) and thick (about 2cms). They are quite light. I'm not 100% percent sure about what the ingredient inside is, it's very light and airy, but they are covered in chocolate.

Apologies for such a vague description, but if anyone could help me out, I would really really appreciate it!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2010, 12:53 AM

Umm... the first thing comes to mind is pocky! Is that it? If not sorry :S I don't know many!

I wish you luck in finding it ;D!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-08-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfil View Post
Hi all,

Wondering if some kind soul can help me....

We used to live in Japan for a few years, firstly in Ibaraki and then in Gunma. Wherever we went in Japan, my wife used to love buying a particular sweet from 7-11 (although I believe I've seen it at supermarkets and other kombinis)

Now that we don't live in Japan anymore, I had been hoping to surprise her by importing some, but I don't know the name of it and was helping someone would be kind enough to help me out.

These sweets come in a brown pack with gold lettering (from memory there were about 20-24 in a pack). They are long (about the length of a pen) and thick (about 2cms). They are quite light. I'm not 100% percent sure about what the ingredient inside is, it's very light and airy, but they are covered in chocolate.

Apologies for such a vague description, but if anyone could help me out, I would really really appreciate it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRossTso View Post
Umm... the first thing comes to mind is pocky! Is that it?
Pocky sticks couldn't be 2-cm think by any rough estimate.

The only thing I can think of that would fit OP's description is Choco-Bo. A few companies manufacture similar products and they have their own names. The big 30-pack in the pic below is by Riska. The inside is basically puffed corn and is very light in weight and texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l8a.jpg (50.3 KB, 40 views)

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.

Last edited by masaegu : 11-11-2010 at 06:13 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-08-2010, 12:51 PM

You can try J-List -- You've got a friend in Japan! to see if they carry it. At least they show photos of the product. That may help.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
mrfil (Offline)
New to JF

11-09-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Pocky sticks couldn't be 2-cm think by any rough estimate.

The only thing I can think of that would fit OP's description is Choco-Bo. A few companies manufacture similar products and they have their own names. The big 30-pack in the pic below is by Riska. The inside is basically puffed corn and is very light in weight and texture.
THAT'S IT! Thank you so much! Sincere thanks to you and to the others who helped as well. Mystery solved!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

11-10-2010, 03:10 PM

I seriously love those, there's a 100yen lawson near my house that sells them. The only problem is my gf loves them more so they vanish before I get a chance to eat any!!

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
11-10-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Hah, this is one thing I though that existed only in my country. Seems I was a bit off. The closest mot-a-mot (word by word) translation I can think of is Choco - Puffs (it's made from puffed corn covered in chocolate). Btw, the "uncovered" version of these puffs exist there?

Sorry for a bit of offtopic, but I am just curios.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?

Last edited by protheus : 11-10-2010 at 03:28 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
Hah, this is one thing I though that existed only in my country. Seems I was a bit off. The closest mot-a-mot (word by word) translation I can think of is Choco - Puffs (it's made from puffed corn covered in chocolate). Btw, the "uncovered" version of these puffs exist there?

Sorry for a bit of offtopic, but I am just curios.
Umaibō - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Famous snack that the same company is making.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff