JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
snbzk (Offline)
JF Regular

06-02-2009, 02:36 PM

I would suggest Remembering the Kanji. However, it doesn't teach the readings - there is a second volume for that (which I haven't used). I was personally able to complete it in about 6 weeks (50 or so a day), though your mileage may vary depending on your free time and whether you can stand the tediousness. There is an unofficial companion website called Reviewing the Kanji where you can enter your own mnemonics for each kanji or view those submitted by others (there's also a link to a sample of the book). The free Anki SRS flashcard program comes with a Remembering the Kanji deck with links on each card to the corresponding entry on Reviewing the Kanji so you can quickly review your chosen mnemonic if you forget it.

What I did first was to open the RTK deck that comes with Anki and suspend all the cards (do this just once when you start), and choose the "Show new cards before reviews" option in Study Options.
Then, the daily routine I used was:
1. Review the expired cards in Anki.
2. Using the book and the mnemonic database on the website, work through 20-25 kanji (or whatever you're comfortable with).
3. Take a short break.
4. Unsuspend those cards in Anki, then review them.
5. Repeat 2-4.

It's important to keep reviewing once a day even after completing the book and to write the kanji (once) when you review them. At this point I usually get around 85-95% correct when I review, which I have heard from others as well (but you might get a bit less at first).

I should also warn you not to trust the stroke orders presented in the book, which for some reason are often wrong. Yamasa Online Kanji Dictionary is a good place to get animated stroke diagrams.

Last edited by snbzk : 06-02-2009 at 02:47 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
06-02-2009, 02:44 PM

With Remember The Kanji...I'm pretty sure the second book is worthless; however, the first and third are +1. The reason why the second book is worhtless is (Not sure but) it doesn't even have any stories...it's just Kanji -.-....again I don't know for sure, this is what I heard.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
snbzk (Offline)
JF Regular

06-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
With Remember The Kanji...I'm pretty sure the second book is worthless; however, the first and third are +1. The reason why the second book is worhtless is (Not sure but) it doesn't even have any stories...it's just Kanji -.-....again I don't know for sure, this is what I heard.
The second book only covers the readings, which aren't as easy to rationalize as the writing. I haven't bothered to use it because I've been learning the readings through reading text.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to RKitagawa
06-02-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
These are all the differences that I have found. I doubt you will find people who will correct you all 2000 kanji (they added more to the list, I think they go over 2000 now). Thus it will be up to you to do researches and pick the reading you find used around. As per me I learn them all I know some of them are not used much with that kanji, but I still learn them hee hee.
Thanks for all those chryuop, I know there are some readings that I left out on purpose, just due to the fact that I wouldn't remember them regardless. But you wrote a lot that I've never even heard of, so thanks.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-02-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaionigiri View Post
woghhhhhhhhh

can someone recomend me better wat to memorise kanji??

I already memorise hiragana and some on katakana

but for kanji, my head become *BOOM* when I try to memorise it x.x
haha, just take it easy, go at your own pace.

I wouldn't really recommend going my way. It's extreme. It works for me, but I have the time to do it, and I don't mind spending a ridiculous amount of time to review.

I'd recommend buying some sort of book with a detailed list of Kanji. or study online, http://www.kanjisite.com/ is a great website. start with the JLPT level 4 Kanji.
then work your way up to JLPT 3, 2, and if you want, go for 1.
Good luck!
(#16 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-02-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Although I think you will likely forget almost every kanji if you keep up 20/day for very long unless you review constantly. And I do mean constantly. I think 25/week is doable (I kept it up for a while with minimal study until the lack of studying caught up with me after I'd acquired an additional 400 in the first half of a semester in Japan).

I've since lost the ability to read and write most of them through lack of usage. Cramming works if your goal is to hit a point of knowledge and you don't care about retention after that.

By all means, if you're living a pretty much fruitless existence as a hikikomori already, basically the only thing that could hurt would be bashing your head against the wall 24 hours a day. Go ahead and try to learn the kanji. I wish you luck.
Haha, my existence is pretty much fruitless unfortunately. something like 20 a day is just the way I do things. Kinda like my own AJATT (All Japanese All the Time, search it on google if you don't know what it is)
I've heard of people doing 100 a day even (which would melt my brain, thats just ludicrous) I do reviews every day, and I'm thinking I might take weekends off purely for review.
Thanks though man.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post
20 kanji a day?? You might be more productive making that 20 kanji a week and then test yourself every day (or every second day).
Yup, 20 a day.. It's just my retarted extremist way of doing things.
I do reviews every day, and I might take breaks on the weekends purely for review... we'll see...
(#18 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbzk View Post

What I did first was to open the RTK deck that comes with Anki and suspend all the cards (do this just once when you start), and choose the "Show new cards before reviews" option in Study Options.
Then, the daily routine I used was:
1. Review the expired cards in Anki.
2. Using the book and the mnemonic database on the website, work through 20-25 kanji (or whatever you're comfortable with).
3. Take a short break.
4. Unsuspend those cards in Anki, then review them.
5. Repeat 2-4.

It's important to keep reviewing once a day even after completing the book and to write the kanji (once) when you review them. At this point I usually get around 85-95% correct when I review, which I have heard from others as well (but you might get a bit less at first).

I should also warn you not to trust the stroke orders presented in the book, which for some reason are often wrong. Yamasa Online Kanji Dictionary is a good place to get animated stroke diagrams.
I've looked through RTK before and I found that it really doesn't help me. especially without the readings, so I bought a Kanji textbook instead that goes into detail on each one.
I do agree with your method of learning though and I already use Anki.
Personally I just write the damn things like 100 times each until it's drilled into my head. That seems to work for me.
Thanks for the comments
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Scoob94P (Offline)
JF Regular

06-02-2009, 04:23 PM

good luck with your task, for me I write a lot down, about 100 at a time and then put them in an SRS and just learn them, however long it takes.

Good luck, it's good you've found a method that works!
(#20 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
06-02-2009, 05:54 PM

You know you don't have to post 5 times in a row right? You can copy and paste, so you can keep it to one post