07-18-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essy View Post
can some one help me translate these two sentences

nankai korondatte tatsu keredo

and

kutsugaesu jinbi iza

thank you
Where did you get these sentences, out of curiosity?

Let me rephrase:
Where did you get these "sentences"?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
essy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to essy Send a message via Yahoo to essy
07-18-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Where did you get these sentences, out of curiosity?

Let me rephrase:
Where did you get these "sentences"?
A friend wrote them not together they are two different sentences.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-18-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
A friend wrote them not together they are two different sentences.
Your friend doesn't know Japanese then. You should tease him about trying to show off his mad skillz and messing up. That's what I wish I could go back in time and do to myself when I was a showoff about my terrible Japanese back in junior high (I was so bad I'd actually forgotten I'd started teaching myself back then until a friend reminded me a couple days ago).

The first one looks like "I fall over some number of times and stand up but ..." Except I think he conjugated 転ぶ (korobu, to fall over or tumble) incorrectly.
The second "[No idea] that [someone] overthrew." It's definitely not a sentence, though. There is no predicate.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 07-18-2009 at 08:08 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
essy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to essy Send a message via Yahoo to essy
07-18-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Your friend doesn't know Japanese then. You should tease him about trying to show off his mad skillz and messing up. That's what I wish I could go back in time and do to myself when I was a showoff about my terrible Japanese back in junior high (I was so bad I'd actually forgotten I'd started teaching myself back then until a friend reminded me a couple days ago).

The first one looks like "I fall over some number of times and stand up but ..." Except I think he conjugated 転ぶ (korobu, to fall over or tumble) incorrectly.
The second "[No idea] that [someone] overthrew." It's definitely not a sentence, though. There is no predicate.
I totally agree with you I tried to make sense out of them myself but couldn't.I'm just beginning to learn Japanese myself,came up with a similar translation for the first one oh well will definatly tease him about it.Thanks for the help anyway
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-18-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
can some one help me translate these two sentences

nankai korondatte tatsu keredo

and

kutsugaesu jinbi iza

thank you
Originally, I wasn't going to post here because the phrases are in romaji. But I now kinda have to because this conversation is going in the strange direction.

Both phrases are in natural and correct Japanese except for one vowel mistake in the second phrase.

First one: "No matter how many times I fall down, I'll get up." Sentences ending in "but" is perfectly normal in casual spoken Japanese.

Second one: ("ji" should be "ju") "Okay, we're ready to overthrow (something)." Hope you guys study いざ.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
07-18-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Your friend doesn't know Japanese then.
Except these are lyrics to Naruto's "Heros come back" song.
Full lyrics are:

遠くで聞こえる声を一人
一人まだ一人で血上がる闘士
繰り返すだけの普段通り
いつが行く準備いい

体中風のは心臓に
激しく血ならせよ
絶える月を浮かす
変わりすぎるが抜きか

上げろ今日一番の時間だ
目にもともらんのSPEEDをはんだ
誰ものびなっとりこかんば
また明日のHEROSはCOMEBACK
通常数え日々をCOUNTDOWN

HEY YOもう場所乗りつくわ覚悟でしょ
何回転んだって立つけれど
撫で間なぜ神 人への聖書
入り組んだ感情気付き上げたでしょ

持ち上がるかんせいが勇気となる
立ち上がれば今苦しみともなう
それでも最高はきっとある
すべて浚うと勝利のかんせい

上げろ今日一番の時間だ
目にもともらんのSPEEDをはんだ
誰ものびなっとりこかんばYEAH
また明日のHEROSはCOMEBACK
通常数え日々をCOUNTDOWN

Just google search for an English version if you can't read this.

I'm pretty sure the closest English equivalent of 何回転んだって立つけれど (1st sentence) would probably be
"stand as many times as you fall."

Second sentence is gibberish. (I think)

Also: 何回転んだって立つけれど is kind of a "native" sentence so that might be why it was difficult to catch, Kyle.

Edit again: GAH! Nagoyankee was one minute quicker >.<

猿も木から落ちる

Last edited by alanX : 07-18-2009 at 05:11 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-18-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
Both phrases are in natural and correct Japanese except for one vowel mistake in the second phrase.
Well, I think it's pretty clear at this point I'm not qualified to help anyone with Japanese. I'm done, guys. Thanks for the pass, alanX, but I think I should just shut up from now on. I guess the good thing is I need to be humbled occasionally, and I just got spanked pretty bad. I'm pretty frigging humbled at this point.

Quote:
Hope you guys study いざ.
Nago, can you clarify how to use いざ? I looked it up and couldn't figure out how it's used as a sentence-ending word. I could only find it to mean something like いざという時, and I couldn't find it used at the end of a sentence on ALC either.

And 転んだって? How does that work? Shouldn't it be 転んで? And don't we need も after that?

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 07-18-2009 at 09:55 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-19-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Well, I think it's pretty clear at this point I'm not qualified to help anyone with Japanese. I'm done, guys. Thanks for the pass, alanX, but I think I should just shut up from now on. I guess the good thing is I need to be humbled occasionally, and I just got spanked pretty bad. I'm pretty frigging humbled at this point.

Nago, can you clarify how to use いざ? I looked it up and couldn't figure out how it's used as a sentence-ending word. I could only find it to mean something like いざという時, and I couldn't find it used at the end of a sentence on ALC either.

And 転んだって? How does that work? Shouldn't it be 転んで? And don't we need も after that?
You can add も to 転んで, but not to 転んだって. This is because the たって/だって part already means でも. = (even) if. たって/だって enables you to form a highly conversational subjunctive mood.

In meaning, 転んだって is the same as 転んでも. But the former sounds more "live" and assertive to us. Although this belongs in advanced Japanese, that っ sound often gives that effect. (e.g. とても vs. とっても)

今から行ったっておそいよ。= 今から行ってもおそいよ。
It's too late if you go now.

泣いたって許さない。= 泣いても許さない。
I won't forgive even if you cry.

助詞はいくら勉強したってわからない。= 助詞はいくら勉強してもわからない。
As for the particles, I don't understand no matter how hard I study them.

どれだけ牛乳飲んだって急に背は高くならない。= 飲んでも
No matter how much milk you drink, you won't get tall quickly.

Now いざ.

There are many usages but the most-often used forms are as follows:

いざとなれば= when the time comes, when it comes to the crutch

いざと言う時に= against a rainy day

いざ勝負! = Now the battle!

~~はいざ知らず = Apart from ~~

明日はいざNYへ! = Off to NY finally! (Connotaion is that it's a very important trip and it took you months or even years to prepare for it.)

In the last example, you can place いざ at the very end if you want to. Japanese grammar gives you that flexibility that many other languages don't. You can switch all the units around and it stil gives you nearly the same meaning. The only exception is that you still have to have the right particles attached to the right words.

I obviously don't know the exact reason that the OP's friend put it at the end in his phrase. But if I were to do the same, it would be for the reason of giving my speech a more dramatic effect. That would be close to saying "Blah Blah Blah NOW!" instead of saying "I now will blah blah blah."