JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
xneehux (Offline)
New to JF

08-11-2009, 10:37 PM

i would love to have my tattoo in sanskrit but the last words my dad ever said to me were" dont let anyone f*** with you" which is basically stay strong dont it, i could re-word it but it wont mean as much so i thought i would get the symbol
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Pike (Offline)
Asian Female? Where?

08-11-2009, 11:37 PM

Be original. Get this tattooed on you. 変質者

The Ecstasy of Emptiness
The Purity of Suffering
The Divinity of Loneliness
(#43 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
08-11-2009, 11:57 PM

A better character to use for strength would be 「強さ」, as 「力」 means "power"...

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#44 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
08-11-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
Be original. Get this tattooed on you. 変質者
Ahahahahaha! Good show, sir.

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#45 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-12-2009, 12:51 AM

Why did you choose Japanese? Why do you want it to be in a language you can't read? Just curious. I see a lot of people getting tattoos in languages they can't understand, and I don't really get why.

LOVE: pass it on
(#46 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-12-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Why did you choose Japanese? Why do you want it to be in a language you can't read? Just curious. I see a lot of people getting tattoos in languages they can't understand, and I don't really get why.
I don't even understand why people have tattoos.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
xneehux (Offline)
New to JF

08-13-2009, 12:25 AM

Well atleast im trying to understand it before i go and get it tattoed on me!

I was asking for the symbols anyway not peoples opinions on tattoos.

I also would have " live for today " because again it means something to me so i was just wondering which one of these are accurate , if anyone would like to give me the correct one. Search results for "live for today" x

Alot of people are asking me why im getting japanese. Well i could get it in my own language, I get could get it in hindi and alot of other language. But i dont want SENTENCES on me i want A SYMBOL. if anyone knows any other language that has symbols that mean something then feel free to let me know

And most of the time people get their tattoos in different languages, because if they are personal to them they dont want the whole world to know.
Tattoos are just a part of people who like them, people may think tattoos will show people abit more of their characters. Or just generally like the idea of getting life experiences permanently ink'd on their body. I dont know..

Last edited by xneehux : 08-13-2009 at 12:35 AM.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-13-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xneehux View Post
Well atleast im trying to understand it before i go and get it tattoed on me!

I was asking for the symbols anyway not peoples opinions on tattoos.

I also would have " live for today " because again it means something to me so i was just wondering which one of these are accurate , if anyone would like to give me the correct one. Search results for "live for today" x

Alot of people are asking me why im getting japanese. Well i could get it in my own language, I get could get it in hindi and alot of other language. But i dont want SENTENCES on me i want A SYMBOL. if anyone knows any other language that has symbols that mean something then feel free to let me know

And most of the time people get their tattoos in different languages, because if they are personal to them they dont want the whole world to know.
Tattoos are just a part of people who like them, people may think tattoos will show people abit more of their characters. Or just generally like the idea of getting life experienced permanently ink'd on their body. I dont know..
this is where we get into cultural loggerheads. The positive "Live for today" message could be read as a death wish in Japanese if written only using kanji characters. [Please use the term characters. They are not "symbols".]
(#49 (permalink))
Old
xneehux (Offline)
New to JF

08-13-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
this is where we get into cultural loggerheads. The positive "Live for today" message could be read as a death wish in Japanese if written only using kanji characters. [Please use the term characters. They are not "symbols".]
Lol im glad i joined this forum, otherwise i wouldnt know anything at all.
Well i'm not sure what i want to do now. I would of loved to have "live for today".

so are these characters "live for today" anyway Live For Today (Kanji)

Last edited by xneehux : 08-13-2009 at 12:47 AM.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-13-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xneehux View Post
Lol im glad i joined this forum, otherwise i wouldnt know anything at all.
Well i'm not sure what i want to do now. I would of loved to have "live for today".
It's important to keep in mind that the body is a temple, a gift from your parents, in Japan. To mark it permanently is unthinkable to many people, even earpiercing is a fairly modern idea (the majority of older women do not have pierced ears). So if you are going to mark it, you must be careful what you do. Most tattooed Japanese have pictures, but not writing. "Live for today" or "live for the moment" would seem like you hoped to die tomorrow, and would not be taken as a positive message.