JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tsukimoon (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tsukimoon Send a message via MSN to tsukimoon
Small つ - 09-14-2010, 10:59 PM

I'm working on some hiragana homework for my Japanese class, and part of it is practicing writing words with the small つ. When writing this character in the practice boxes (you know the ones... squares divided into four smaller squares), where should it be positioned? I know it should be in the bottom half, but I don't know if it should be in the bottom right, bottom left, or the middle. My first inclination is the bottom right, but I want to make sure.

I apologize if this has been asked before! I didn't see it when I searched.

Anyway, ありがとうございます for your help!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-15-2010, 01:50 AM

If writing vertically, top right. All of my assignments in class had me writing vertically.
Genkō yōshi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

09-15-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukimoon View Post
I'm working on some hiragana homework for my Japanese class, and part of it is practicing writing words with the small つ. When writing this character in the practice boxes (you know the ones... squares divided into four smaller squares), where should it be positioned? I know it should be in the bottom half, but I don't know if it should be in the bottom right, bottom left, or the middle. My first inclination is the bottom right, but I want to make sure.

I apologize if this has been asked before! I didn't see it when I searched.

Anyway, ありがとうございます for your help!!
You should have mentioned if you are writing vertically or horizontally as that makes a huge difference.

Here's how we native speakers are taught in Japanese schools (though you obviously aren't attending one).

Vertical: top right

Horizontal: bottom left

In each, the bold part is more important than the other.
________

Finally, you don't say ありがとうございます there. You say it only when service has been rendered. Learn to say おねがいします or よろしくおねがいします.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
student95 (Offline)
JF Regular

09-15-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Finally, you don't say ありがとうございます there. You say it only when service has been rendered. Learn to say おねがいします or よろしくおねがいします.
You've got quite a serious tone there. Is ^^ reinforced by custom? I mean, is it really weird if you say thank you before you receive help? Sorry, if its a silly question.

Don't let pride get in the way of learning...there's always more to learn.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

09-15-2010, 09:33 AM

I wouldn't volunteer to give extra information if I didn't consider it important. It's more than weird to do that. Ask any educated Japanese that hasn't lived in your country too long.

Last edited by Sashimister : 09-15-2010 at 10:35 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tsukimoon (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tsukimoon Send a message via MSN to tsukimoon
09-15-2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Would it be correct to say ありがとございます AFTER receiving help (since that's a service, isn't it?), or is おねがいします still used then? I thought the latter meant something like "please", but I'm only in my second week ever of Japanese class, so of course I'm probably wrong. :P
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

09-15-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukimoon View Post
Would it be correct to say ありがとございます AFTER receiving help (since that's a service, isn't it?), or is おねがいします still used then? I thought the latter meant something like "please", but I'm only in my second week ever of Japanese class, so of course I'm probably wrong. :P
After someone has replied, you can say ありがとございます, or more naturally, ありがとうございました, but NOT before. We don't have that custom.

And you don't say おねがいします after someone has answered your question. You say it when you ask your question or request any goods or service from another person.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-16-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
After someone has replied, you can say ありがとございます, or more naturally, ありがとうございました, but NOT before. We don't have that custom.

And you don't say おねがいします after someone has answered your question. You say it when you ask your question or request any goods or service from another person.

I am really confused why there is even a debate here, unless it is a British thing anyway....

Of course you only thank after someone has done something (like a service) and you say please before.

How can you thank someone before you know if they will even do it?

At the very earliest you say it while they are in middle of doing it, but only with close friends because that can seem kind of cheeky.

I applied the same principle to ありがとうございました while in Japan, even then you realise you say it far too often and half the time ありがとう or even a smile nod thing will do.

Also never ever say *anything* in reply to いっらしゃいませ(welcome! shouted at you 100x when you walk within a 50foot radius of a shop)

I started off saying ありがとう and was met with confused blank stares then another IRRASSSSHHEEEEE like I got the response wrong. Not only that if you replied each time you would lose your voice an hour into your first ever shopping trip.

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

09-16-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmarisa View Post
I am really confused why there is even a debate here, unless it is a British thing anyway....

Of course you only thank after someone has done something (like a service) and you say please before.

How can you thank someone before you know if they will even do it?

At the very earliest you say it while they are in middle of doing it, but only with close friends because that can seem kind of cheeky.

I applied the same principle to ありがとうございました while in Japan, even then you realise you say it far too often and half the time ありがとう or even a smile nod thing will do.

Also never ever say *anything* in reply to いっらしゃいませ(welcome! shouted at you 100x when you walk within a 50foot radius of a shop)

I started off saying ありがとう and was met with confused blank stares then another IRRASSSSHHEEEEE like I got the response wrong. Not only that if you replied each time you would lose your voice an hour into your first ever shopping trip.
Not sure why you're quoting me here. I'm not the one that said ありがとうございます before s/he got her question answered.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
student95 (Offline)
JF Regular

09-19-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
you can say ありがとございます, or more naturally, ありがとうございました
The way I'm interpreting this is that this: Since you're thanking someone for something they have done using past tense ました would be more appropriate.

Is that wrong?

If it isn't...

Then since ありがとございます is in future tense - and it is unsuitable for use to thank people when they will deliver the service - what is the appropriate way of using it?

Don't let pride get in the way of learning...there's always more to learn.