(#11 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

Send a message via Skype™ to MuRaSaKiiNkI
09-28-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRossTso View Post

I might plan to stay in Japan if I like it there (or if I find a band). There is a Japanese proficiency test no? How fluent would you think you'd have to be with Japanese to pass it?
For a temporary stay of up to two years, you do not need to speak Japanese. And, since you aren't born in Japan, you cant' really stay for longer unless your visa is renewed by a business or school. Plenty of non-Japanese speakers temp live in Japan, my friend's one. She teaches English, and she's learning Japanese too (she has to!)

So yeah, study abroad is pretty easy, actually, if your college has a program. If not, there are plenty Japanese language programs overseas that house students and teach them for a couple months. Plan tickets are only around $1,300 round trip. The catch, you'll have to research them. Japanese Universities also have Japanese programs, but the board is more expensive.

P.S. if you have any problems with Japanese grammar, I can help you out! I'm also learning Japanese, on my 4th year!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-28-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRaSaKiiNkI View Post
For a temporary stay of up to two years, you do not need to speak Japanese. And, since you aren't born in Japan, you cant' really stay for longer unless your visa is renewed by a business or school. Plenty of non-Japanese speakers temp live in Japan, my friend's one. She teaches English, and she's learning Japanese too (she has to!)

So yeah, study abroad is pretty easy, actually, if your college has a program. If not, there are plenty Japanese language programs overseas that house students and teach them for a couple months. Plan tickets are only around $1,300 round trip. The catch, you'll have to research them. Japanese Universities also have Japanese programs, but the board is more expensive.

P.S. if you have any problems with Japanese grammar, I can help you out! I'm also learning Japanese, on my 4th year!
Awww... I guess I'd have to give up my Canadian Citizenship if I really wanted to stay huh? I wonder how I can become a permanent resident.

The plane ticket is no problem for me, but finding the problem can prove to be a challenge to me.

Thank you! I'm still working on the words... I can't really use grammar without words... and can't use words without grammar.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

09-28-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Awww... I guess I'd have to give up my Canadian Citizenship if I really wanted to stay huh? I wonder how I can become a permanent resident.

The plane ticket is no problem for me, but finding the problem can prove to be a challenge to me.

Thank you! I'm still working on the words... I can't really use grammar without words... and can't use words without grammar.
For my class, we use Yookoso, which is pretty helpful, and if you get the media edition (which I do) it also has CDs with the practices on it. I have an old edition of Invitation to Japanese and Continuing Japanese if you would like them.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-28-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
For my class, we use Yookoso, which is pretty helpful, and if you get the media edition (which I do) it also has CDs with the practices on it. I have an old edition of Invitation to Japanese and Continuing Japanese if you would like them.
Ouuu! I'd be willing to try it if possible ;D!

Thanks! I never used anything to learn any language before (except maybe french or spanish at school)
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

09-28-2010, 01:15 AM

yeah, books are pretty helpful, and CDs moreso. The pronunciation is a little difficult, even if you know the words, that's where the CD comes in. If you're serious about it, I can give both of them for $20. If you want to know more about the book, you can look inside the book at Amazon here. It's pretty user-friendly, and I love it. But I have my worksheets and my self-made guide to help me through. Anything I forget I can easily look up.

You live in the US?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-28-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
yeah, books are pretty helpful, and CDs moreso. The pronunciation is a little difficult, even if you know the words, that's where the CD comes in. If you're serious about it, I can give both of them for $20. If you want to know more about the book, you can look inside the book at Amazon here. It's pretty user-friendly, and I love it. But I have my worksheets and my self-made guide to help me through. Anything I forget I can easily look up.

You live in the US?
Nope ;( I live in Ontario... just above Michigan ;P!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

Question 09-28-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Nope ;( I live in Ontario... just above Michigan ;P!
Oooh, well that's close~I live in MI! I've always wanted to go to Canada... you guys learn Spanish too? Why?? Are there a lot of Mexicans there?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-28-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Oooh, well that's close~I live in MI! I've always wanted to go to Canada... you guys learn Spanish too? Why?? Are there a lot of Mexicans there?
Naw! it's actually an optional course, but I'd rather learn Spanish than French. I'm still not that good at it... only had one year with a good teacher, and then I didn't really learn anything from the 2nd year teacher. I bet Canada is exactly like Michigan.

I haven't spoke Spanish in a while... so it's dying.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-28-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Heh. Good luck, dude: www.debito.org: Brief on Japanese Permanent Residency Requirements

But you are considering giving up your citizenship for a country you've never been to before and cannot speak the language? Yeesh. Canada must really suck.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 09-28-2010 at 02:48 AM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-28-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Heh. Good luck, dude: www.debito.org: Brief on Japanese Permanent Residency Requirements

But you are considering giving up your citizenship for a country you've never been to before and cannot speak the language? Yeesh. Canada must really suck.
Umm I'll consider it if I really really like the place. I've only been at the airport so I can't Judge. I'll have some time to decide though, and in that time maybe I might seen different parts of Japan. Canada doesn't suck (I'm sure that is sarcasm), but I'm always looking for something different.

Thanks for the link ;D!