JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

仲よくします, 預かります, 助かります - 11-11-2010, 03:32 PM

Hi, I would like to know how can I make sentences with the verbs below? These are the kind of verbs that I find the most complicated. So can you guys provide me with a few simple sentence examples so that I can get some idea of how to use it.

仲よくします - Get along well with / Be on good term with

預かります - Keep / Receive (a thing) in trust

助かります - Be of help

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-11-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
Hi, I would like to know how can I make sentences with the verbs below? These are the kind of verbs that I find the most complicated. So can you guys provide me with a few simple sentence examples so that I can get some idea of how to use it.

仲よくします - Get along well with / Be on good term with

預かります - Keep / Receive (a thing) in trust

助かります - Be of help
I was born to make example sentences! j/k.

「マリアは新しい学校でみんなと仲よくしている。」
「田中と佐藤は昨年よくケンカしたが、今年はとても仲 よくしている。」 ケンカ= a fight
「こちらが新入生の高田けんじ君です。仲よくしてあげ てください。」 新入生= a new student

「このカバンを2―3時間預かっていただけますか。」 カバン= a bag
「ホテルのフロントで荷物を預かってもらった。」   荷物(にもつ)= luggage
「鈴木さんは銀行で貴重品を預かってもらっている。」  貴重品(きちょうひん)= valuables

「本当にありがとう。助かります。」
「マックスフルさんが英語を教えてくれたので助かりま した。」
「バスで行くつもりだったが、高橋さんが車で連れてっ てくれたのでとても助かった。」

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-12-2010, 06:28 AM

Masaeguさん、本当にどうもありがとうございました。Could you please also provide me with the English translations?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-12-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Masaeguさん、本当にどうもありがとうございました。Could you please also provide me with the English translations?
Have you tried yourself? Hope you aren't saying you didn't get any of them.

「マリアは新しい学校でみんなと仲よくしている。」= Maria gets along well with everyone at her new school.
「田中と佐藤は昨年よくケンカしたが、今年はとても仲 よくしている。」 = Tanaka and Sato often had a fight last year but they are on really good terms with each other this year. 
「こちらが新入生の高田けんじ君です。仲よくしてあげ てください。」 This is our new student Kenji Takada. Please be nice to him.

「このカバンを2―3時間預かっていただけますか。」 = Could you keep this bag for a couple of hours for me, please?
「ホテルのフロントで荷物を預かってもらった。」 = I had the hotel front desk keep my luggage for me.  
「鈴木さんは銀行で貴重品を預かってもらっている。」 = Ms. Suzuki has her bank keep her valuables.

「本当にありがとう。助かります。」= Thanks a lot. You are being of big help.
「マックスフルさんが英語を教えてくれたので助かりま した。」 = I was saved as Maxful taught me some English.
「バスで行くつもりだったが、高橋さんが車で連れてっ てくれたのでとても助かった。」 = I had originally planned to go by bus but Mr. Takahashi took me there in his car and saved me (the trouble, time, etc.)

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-12-2010, 08:46 AM

Thanks alot, masaegu san. I only managed to get 3 out of the 9 sentences correct which is still pretty poor for my level (basic 2). 頑張りま.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#6 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-12-2010, 09:24 AM

Not that I possess a non-Japanese-speaking mind, I could kind of understand that both 預かる and 助かる woud be difficult to put to use for the learner.

This is why I hesitated for a minute to give you the translations. If you translate, the two will only be harder to grasp than ever with regards to the subject and object of the sentences in which they appear, especially with 助かる.  

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-12-2010, 02:01 PM

Hi masaegu san, I have a question regarding these two sentences 「こちら新入生の高田けんじ君です。仲よくしてあげ てください。」and 「マックスフルさん英語を教えてくれたので助かりま した。」. I would like to know if it is possible for me to use particle "は" instead of "が"?

By the way, I find it very difficult to make sentences with 助かります even with your examples. This is the kind of verb which I find it the most complicated.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#8 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-12-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Hi masaegu san, I have a question regarding these two sentences 「こちら新入生の高田けんじ君です。仲よくしてあげ てください。」and 「マックスフルさん英語を教えてくれたので助かりま した。」. I would like to know if it is possible for me to use particle "は" instead of "が"?

By the way, I find it very difficult to make sentences with 助かります even with your examples. This is the kind of verb which I find it the most complicated.
No, we must use が for both. A very small minority of us might use は in the Takada sentence but I wouldn't be doing my job if I told you you could speak like them. The Maxful sentence will be formed with が by everyone.
______

助かります should be treated like a phrase rather than a verb. It usually doesn't take a subject or object.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Hi masaegu san, could you elaborate a little bit more regarding why "は" cannot be used in those sentences?

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

立ち直れる奴だ。
(#10 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-12-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Hi masaegu san, could you elaborate a little bit more regarding why "は" cannot be used in those sentences?
I could but it might get you even more confused.

I don't know where and how you have been studying Japanese. Depending on that, what I'm going to say will probably throw you off.

If you learned は and が as some kind of a pair, please unlearn that. They function as completely different characters from each other in the language. When you replace one by the other, you will either have an utterly incorrect sentence for the context or change the meaning of the sentence.

「こちらが新入生の高田けんじ君です。」 = "This is our new student Kenji Takada"

The teacher is introducing a NEW student to the class. Takada's presence itself is "new information" for the class. The other kids never knew that they would have a new student until today, this moment. That is が.

When it's started raining suddenly, you say 「雨降ってきた」. You NEVER say 「雨は降ってきた」. It's new information for the speaker.

You are walking home wanting to make ramen as soon as you get there. That's what you do almost everyday. You get home only to find out that there is no ramen in stock, which is very rare at your home. You say to yourself 「ショック!ラーメンない!」  We never, ever say 「ラーメンはない!」 in this situation.

Hungry and frustrated, you go turn on your PC to spam Japan Forum. However, you find the PC not working even though it was working fine in the morning. Now you know what you'd say here.  「パソコン(  )こわれてる!」

In the sentence 「マックスフルさんが英語を教えてくれたので助かりま した。」, the reason to use が is quite simple. As a rule, the subject of a subordinate clause takes が.  「マックスフルさんが英語を教えてくれたので」 is the subordinate clause of the sentence and the マックスフルさん is the subject of it.

スミス行くならボクも行く。
お金あればニューヨークへ行きたい。
マックスフル愛してくれないのなら、私はマサエグと結婚する!

There are many other rules over the use of は and が, but I'm not going to write a book here.