JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Metalhead (Offline)
New to JF

Hello and help! ;) - 12-31-2010, 02:49 PM

Hi, I'm a newbie here but by the look of things I wish I'd found this place sooner.

I've been studying Japanese for just over a year but I'm still rather terrible, but what is bothering me the most is that I often see sentences where I know I should understand it, because I know the words, and I know the particles etc. But I still can't grasp the meaning anyway.

For example, I'm (trying) to play a game at the moment and got this..

いえ、無理してでも来るんです。

My guesslation would be:

No, (you) are being unreasonable, but I came anyway.

If somebody could tell me what it should mean that'd be great, but more importantly if anybody knows how I can find out/study by myself that'd be even better.

Words I don't know and kanji I don't recoginize I can easily look up, but when I simply don't get the grammer/context - I'm not sure how I'm supposed to learn. At the moment I just forget about them and stick to studying, then hope when I come back to it at a later date maybe it'll make more sense.. but any sort of grammer resource, flash card sentences etc would be great if you know of any.

Thanks in advance
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie here but by the look of things I wish I'd found this place sooner.

I've been studying Japanese for just over a year but I'm still rather terrible, but what is bothering me the most is that I often see sentences where I know I should understand it, because I know the words, and I know the particles etc. But I still can't grasp the meaning anyway.

For example, I'm (trying) to play a game at the moment and got this..

いえ、無理してでも来るんです。

My guesslation would be:

No, (you) are being unreasonable, but I came anyway.

If somebody could tell me what it should mean that'd be great, but more importantly if anybody knows how I can find out/study by myself that'd be even better.

Words I don't know and kanji I don't recoginize I can easily look up, but when I simply don't get the grammer/context - I'm not sure how I'm supposed to learn. At the moment I just forget about them and stick to studying, then hope when I come back to it at a later date maybe it'll make more sense.. but any sort of grammer resource, flash card sentences etc would be great if you know of any.
What 「いえ、無理してでも来るんです。」 means totally depends on the context. It can mean a few different things all by itself. All I know for sure as a Japanese-speaker is that it doesn't mean what you said. I don't Know why you saw two people in it.

It can mean:
"No, you should force yourself to come."
"No, I should force myself to come."
"No, someone should force him/herself to come."

Remember that Japanese is a context-driven language and that's why we use so few words.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2010, 03:21 PM

Hmmm, I don't think you can have 2 different subjects with a phrase like that. I would read it more like:
no, even if I have to overcome problems I will come...or something on these lines.
無理する overdoing, making an effort to do something
でも even
来る come

If u interested I can give you a couple of sites where that can help you...just message me.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#4 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2010, 03:23 PM

Dang he is so fast LOL he beat me to it...I am just happy I got close to the translation

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Metalhead (Offline)
New to JF

12-31-2010, 03:38 PM

Thanks for your translation, I think you are right as that would make sense in the context it was in.

But i'm not quite sure what the してでも is doing in that sentence, could anybody explain this please? I often see this kind of pattern and it always throws me off. I know the -temo form しても (even if I did). But this looks like it's probably a casual form of something longer. Is it more like している、でも?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2010, 04:02 PM

Think it like ーて ing form of the English verb and でも even/even if/even by and all related forms. Follows also other tenses.
一日何も食べないでも死にません even if you don't eat anything for 1 day you won't die.
泣いてでも彼女に好きだと言って if if crying, tell her that you love her.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ

Last edited by chryuop : 12-31-2010 at 04:05 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-31-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead View Post
Thanks for your translation, I think you are right as that would make sense in the context it was in.

But i'm not quite sure what the してでも is doing in that sentence, could anybody explain this please? I often see this kind of pattern and it always throws me off. I know the -temo form しても (even if I did). But this looks like it's probably a casual form of something longer. Is it more like している、でも?
No, it has nothing to do with している、でも; in fact, it is far from it. That でも means "but".

The でも in 無理してでも is a connective particle meaning "even if".
無理してでも = even if one has to force oneself