JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

A Lesson on With/Without (付帯・非付帯) for 中・上級 Learners - 03-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Same book, same translator, with help from masaegu!

付帯・非付帯 With/Without

2級
〜ついでに
〜つつ
〜をこめて
〜ことなく
〜ぬきで/に/の
〜をぬきにして・〜はぬきにして
1級
〜かたわら
〜がてら
〜かたがた
〜ながら(に/の)
〜(こと)なしに

===〜ついでに===
When you seize the opportunity to do an action, do ~ else that is convenient
The second action is one that was not necessarily planned from the beginning. The first action is.
Because the sense of this is that you're seizing an opportunity, the second verb should not be something you must do or a habitual action.

Usage: dictionary form, ta-form, or the noun of a する verbの+ついでに

Examples:
上野の美術館に行ったついでに、久しぶりに公園を散歩 した。
When I went to Ueno Museum, I also took a stroll through the Ueno Park, which I had not been to in a while.

買い物のついでに、図書館に寄って本を借りてきた。
While shopping, I went to the library and borrowed a book.

===〜つつ===
"While doing ~"
Very similar to 〜ながら, but this is more strict/formal/high-level than 〜ながら
If the structure is VERBつつVERB, then the second verb is the main one.

Usage: pre-masu form +つつ

Examples:
汽車に揺られつつ、2時間ほどいい気持ちでうとうと眠 った。
I was tossed about in the train while drowsily sleeping about two hours feeling good.

夜、仕事を終えて、ウイスキーを味わいつつ、気に入っ た推理小説を読むひとときは最高である。
The best is in the evening, when I'm done with work, moments when I'm enjoying whisky and reading a detective novel I find interesting.

===〜をこめて===
"With ~" or "Including ~"

Examples:
あなたに、愛をこめてこの指輪を贈ります。
I give this ring to you with love.

先生、ありがとうございました。私たちの感謝をこめて この文集を作りました。
Thank you, professor. We made this collection of our writings with gratitude.

===〜ことなく===
"Without doing ~"
It means that usually something is done, but this time it was done without."
Do not use this structure with daily occurrences, though (e.g., forgetting to use a postage stamp).

Usage: dictionary form +ことなく

Examples:
敵に知られることなく、島に上陸するのは難しい。
Without being known by the enemy, it is difficult to land on the island.

彼は先生にも友達にも相談することなく、帰国してしま った。
Without speaking to his teacher or friends, he returned to his home country.

===〜ぬきで/に/の===
When you want to say a normally done thing or something that should be done normally was not done.
When you make the construction Noun+ぬき, use the entire construction as a noun.

Usage: Noun+ぬきで

Examples:
「今晩の会はアルコールぬきのパーティーなんですよ。 」
"Tonights meeting will be without alcohol."

あのレストランの昼食は、税金・サービス料ぬきで2千 円です。
Lunch at that restaurant is 2000 yen without tax or gratuity.

===〜をぬきにして・〜はぬきにして===
Expression used when you want to say a normally done thing or something that should be done normally was not done.

Examples:
交通機関についての問題は乗客の安全をぬきにして論じ ることはできない。
One cannot the issues regarding transportation facilities without passenger safety.

「今日は硬い話はぬきにして、気楽に楽しく飲みましょ う。」
"Today, let's have fun and drink carefree without stiff speech."
[trans. note: I read this as a boss talking to an employee, saying the employee should talk to the boss as an equal]

===〜かたわら===
Expression used to say when doing one thing, you also do another at the same time.
When comparing this to 〜ながら, this is used for something that lasts a longer time.
The verb that comes right before かたわら is the one that was being done originally.

Usage: dictionary form or the noun part of a する verb +かたわら

Examples:
川田さんは銀行員として勤めるかたわら、作曲家として も活躍している。
While working as a bank employee, Mr. Kawada is active as a songwriter.

市川氏は役所で働くかたわら、ボランティアとして外国 人に日本語を教えている。
Mr. Ichikawa, while working at the government office, volunteers by teaching foreigners Japanese.

===〜がてら===
Used to express that while doing one thing you added on something else to do.
Because this expresses one action that actually has two purposes, often times you see a verb like 行く/歩く and other movement-related verbs used.

Usage: pre-masu form or the noun part of a する verb +がてら

Examples:
「散歩がてら、ちょっと郵便局まで行ってきます。」
"While [out] walking, I'll swing by the post office."

駅まで30分ほどかかるが、天気のいい日は運動がてら 歩くことにしている。
It's about 30 minutes to the station, but I made it a habit of walking [there] for exercise when it is sunny weather.

===〜かたがた===
Used when you do one action that has two purposes to it. Often used in business situations with "movement" verbs like 訪問する/上京する. This is stiff, high-level language such as used in business communications.
The structure is AかたがたXする and it means "to perform X for the main purpose of A" but with an implication that there may be other reasons for performing X. To quote masaegu, "Though A may be the most important goal, it is likely that you will also do B and perhaps C and D. This is so because Action X will give you an opportunity to do more than just one thing."

最近ご無沙汰をしているので、卒業のあいさつかたがた 保証人のうちを訪ねた。
We haven't spoken of late, so I dropped in on my guarantor as a graduation greeting [and perhaps for other reasons that weren't the main reason].

かれがけがをしたということを聞いたので、お見舞いか たがた、彼のうちをたずねた。
Because I had heard he was injured, I dropped by his place to see how he was doing [and perhaps for other reasons that weren't the main reason].

「会議への出席かたがた南カリフォルニアに行ってきま す。」 (thanks to masaegu for this example and explanation!) (Any errors in translation are my fault, not masaegu's)
"I went to California to attend a conference [but there are other things I had a chance to do because I went there]." A more forthcoming sentence might be: 「会議への出席かたがた、友人と再会するためにも南カ リフォルニアに行ってきます。」
"I went to California to attend a conference, but also to see my friend again."

===〜ながら(に/の)===
Do ~ while in ~ situation/state.
Appears in numerous idiomatic expressions.

Usage: Noun +ながら

Examples:
戦火を逃れてきた人々は涙ながらにそれぞれの恐ろしい 体験を語った。
People who had viewed war cried while recounting their various harrowing experiences.

10年ぶりに昔ながらの校舎や校庭を見て懐かしかった 。
I got nostalgic as I looked at school building and schoolgrounds I had not seen in 10 years.

===〜(こと)なしに===
Means "normally ~ is done or ~ is done, but this time ~ was not done"
Used in business situations and in writing. Stiff speech.

Usage: Verbことなしに or Nounなしに

Examples:
断りなしに人の部屋に入るな。
Do not enter my room without permission.

彼女の話は涙なしには聞けない。
I cannot listen to the girl's story without crying.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 03-08-2011 at 05:49 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

03-08-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post

汽車に揺られつつ、2時間ほどいい気持ちでうとうと眠 った。
While drowsily sleeping about two hours, I was tossed about in the train.
Not entirely wrong or anything but did you flip the main and sub clauses?

Quote:
先生、ありがとうございました。私たちの感謝をこめて この文集を作りました。
Thank you, professor. We made this anthology with gratitude.
It may just be my English, but would you use "anthology" to refer to a collection of writings by a group of students (who would most likely be amateurs)?

Quote:
交通機関についての問題は乗客の安全をぬきにして論じ ることはできない。
One cannot deal with the problem of transportation facilities without passenger safety.
deal with the problem > discuss the issues.

Quote:
駅まで30分ほどかかるが、天気のいい日は運動がてら 歩くことにしている。
It's about 30 minutes to the station, but it's good weather, so I've decided to get some exercise as I walk there.
Not terribly wrong, but the original says that you make this a habit for sunny days. The tense of "I've decided to" is incorrect.

~~ことにしている = I make it a habit to ~~

Quote:
おそれし い
おそろしい

Quote:
高低
校庭?

Quote:
Examples:
断りなしに人の部屋に入るな。
Do not enter the room of a person who has refused [entry].
Finally a serious mistake! This 断り does not mean "refusal" but it means "notice" or "asking for permission".
Now, 「断りなしに」 should make much more sense to you.

And 人の部屋, in this context, means "my room". Advanced learners MUST learn to use this 人 as a first-person pronoun. See Usage #8 in the link below.
ひと【人】 の意味とは - Yahoo!辞書

Last edited by masaegu : 03-08-2011 at 08:31 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Thank you for the corrections, again, masaegu!
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Not entirely wrong or anything but did you flip the main and sub clauses?
Yes, I did. I wasn't sure which was the "main" clause because one seemed like the main clause from context, but the book's lesson seemed to indicate the main clause was the other. I was confused.

Quote:
It may just be my English, but would you use "anthology" to refer to a collection of writings by a group of students (who would most likely be amateurs)?
I'm not really sure what the correct English term is. "Collection of short stories we wrote"? "Anthology" may be slightly too "professional" a term to use for student pieces (unless they're university or MFA students), but I went with it just because I wasn't sure what word to use otherwise. I do understand the word in Japanese, though, and can use it fine.

Quote:
校庭?
Yup. Darn this kana-input-spacebar-hitting input system (and my sloppy eyeballs)!

Quote:
Finally a serious mistake! This 断り does not mean "refusal" but it means "notice" or "asking for permission".
Now, 「断りなしに」 should make much more sense to you.
Yes! I originally just read it as "asking for permission," but that was as my eyes scanned the sentence. When I actually got down to parsing it, I remembered "no, wait, 断る is 'refuse'" and went with that. I was so confused because that sentence made no sense to me with it being translated as "refuse." Thank you for clearing that up!

Quote:
And 人の部屋, in this context, means "my room". Advanced learners MUST learn to use this 人 as a first-person pronoun. See Usage #8 in the link below.
ひと【人】 の意味とは - Yahoo!辞書
Very interesting, and thank you! I have literally never been made aware of this usage. I will study it now.