JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

無条件幸福論 by SuG - 06-28-2011, 07:27 AM

I'm having trouble making sense of three lines from this song. Here they are with my translations:

ただ会いたくて 声も無くしそうで
I was about to lose even my voice from just wanting to see you.

でも会えなくて 夢さえ恨んだ
But I couldn't see you and I hated even dreams.

日々薄れてく 記憶を手探りで 感触をただ愛した

That last line I won't even attempt to translate because it hardly makes sense to me. What does it mean?

The first line doesn't make sense to me either because I don't see how wanting to see someone would cause a person to lose their voice.

For the second line, what is the connection between wanting to see someone and hating dreams?

The complete song lyrics are here.

Last edited by languagehacker : 06-28-2011 at 09:02 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

06-29-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by languagehacker View Post
I'm having trouble making sense of three lines from this song. Here they are with my translations:

ただ会いたくて 声も無くしそうで

でも会えなくて 夢さえ恨んだ

日々薄れてく 記憶を手探りで 感触をただ愛した

That last line I won't even attempt to translate because it hardly makes sense to me. What does it mean?

The first line doesn't make sense to me either because I don't see how wanting to see someone would cause a person to lose their voice.

For the second line, what is the connection between wanting to see someone and hating dreams?

I think you are confusing yourself by treating the line 「ただ会いたくて 声も無くしそうで」 as if it were a complete sentence when it isn't. All it has is two continuative verb forms (the latter is an auxiliary verb to be exact.).

「ただ会いたくて, 声も無くしそうで, でも会えなくて夢さえ恨んだ」 is the complete sentence with three continuative forms and one affirmation form at the very end.

「日々薄れてく 記憶を手探りで 感触をただ愛した」, which is a very poorly constructed sentence using two direct objects (「記憶」 & 「感触」) with other words in between and two words of a similar meaning (「手探り」 & 「感触」), would roughly mean:

"I simply loved the feel of of the memories which I groped for and which faded away day by day."

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

06-29-2011, 08:08 PM

Thanks for rearranging the words and your insights. Yes, you're right. I thought that the first line was a complete sentence.

You seem to interpret ただ as "simply." Someone else said that ただ before a verb is used to add emphasis. They interpreted it like this:

Quote:
The days grow thin (metaphorically as in their meaning, happiness etc. each day is less fulfilling than before - also "dim" works as well - better probably), and searching through my memories (てさぐり means to search as if groping with hands in the dark), I felt love for even the slightest touch (ただ before a verb adds emphasis, hence the "even the slightest" - and as the metaphor is linked with で this would mean that she felt strong feelings of love through just finding a memory (presumably of them two together).
What do you think?

Watch Japanese music videos with translations on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/nextgenv...i?feature=mhee

Last edited by languagehacker : 06-29-2011 at 11:07 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

06-30-2011, 02:33 AM

Quote:
You seem to interpret ただ as "simply." Someone else said that ただ before a verb is used to add emphasis. They interpreted it like this:

What do you think?
I cannot say what I did is very different. By adding "simply", I actually meant to emphasize the action.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
longyuse (Offline)
New to JF

06-30-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:

ただ会いたくて 声も無くしそうで

でも会えなくて 夢さえ恨んだ

日々薄れてく 記憶を手探りで 感触をただ愛した

Wwwwow~ You're translating Japanese songs into English. Nice work! I'm just trying to translate English songs into other languages. You really doing a nice work.
Sorry, I can't understand Japanese, so I just say something about it. When you're dreaming about someone who you want to see but you can't, it's a disaster.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

06-30-2011, 06:34 AM

Hello. Could it also be that he hates dreams because he wants to meet her in them, but doesn't?

Watch Japanese music videos with translations on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/nextgenv...i?feature=mhee
(#7 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

06-30-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Hello. Could it also be that he hates dreams because he wants to meet her in them, but doesn't?
That would be my understanding. Either that or she is cold to him in his dreams.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

06-30-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
That would be my understanding. Either that or she is cold to him in his dreams.
What do you think about the idea that he hates dreams because he sees her in them, as if to tease him since he can't meet her in reality?

(#9 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

06-30-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
What do you think about the idea that he hates dreams because he sees her in them, as if to tease him since he can't meet her in reality?
I think that is not only possible but it may be the best interpretation so far. He appears to actively hate the dreams.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

06-30-2011, 07:13 AM

What do you mean by "actively?" Wouldn't いる have to be somehow connected to 恨んだ to make it active?

Because of さえ, wouldn't it be more likely that "couldn't meet in dreams" is the correct interpretation?

会えなくて 夢さえ恨んだ

I couldn't meet you in reality so I hated it. I couldn't meet you even in dreams so I hated them too.

Last edited by languagehacker : 06-30-2011 at 09:40 AM.