LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

06-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by languagehacker View Post
What do you mean by "actively?" Wouldn't いる have to be somehow connected to 恨んだ to make it active?

Because of さえ, wouldn't it be more likely that "couldn't meet in dreams" is the correct interpretation?

会えなくて 夢さえ恨んだ

I couldn't meet you in reality so I hated it. I couldn't meet you even in dreams so I hated them too.

I said "actively" because one rarely says "I love (or hate) my dreams." in the first place. I sensed a rather strong hatred there. 「いる」 makes the tense progressive but does not change the degree of hatred.

I am seeing this さえ as "even", too. He probably hated many things in life and he even hated his dreams. Though there is no mention of "meeting" in actual words but I still think it is a valid interpretation.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

07-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Thanks, I wouldn't have noticed that. Saying that he couldn't meet his girlfriend in dreams goes along nicely with the surrounding lyrics, but since you said there is a strong emotion there I decided to try to make that come through in the translation.

At the end of the song there is this line:

傷つけてしまう夜もあるだろう 分かち合えない想いもあるだろう

Who is the subject for 傷つけてしまう夜もあるだろう? Do you think this is talking about them hurting each other, or the singer hurting his girlfriend?

Watch Japanese music videos with translations on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/nextgenv...i?feature=mhee

Last edited by languagehacker : 07-01-2011 at 04:23 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

07-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I wouldn't have noticed that.

At the end of the song there is this line:

傷つけてしまう夜もあるだろう 分かち合えない想いもあるだろう

Who is the subject for 傷つけてしまう夜もあるだろう? Do you think this is talking about them hurting each other, or the singer hurting his girlfriend?
The last part of the song is very tricky; in fact, I would not hesitate to call it clumsy.

Narrator says この先は僕なりに言葉紡ぐから聞いておくれ. If we are to take this line literally, then what follows it (everything said in the last pair of quotation marks) has got to be his words. However, the first line within the quotation marks sounds very feminine --- ふたり以上の恋があるとしてもふたりは’ふたり’を選 ぶのでしょう. After this line, it sounds all masculine again.

If we can pretend that it is OK for two people to speak in one pair of quotation marks, the subject for 傷つけてしまう夜もあるだろう would be the narrator.  

(#14 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

07-01-2011, 03:26 PM

This band is a visual kei band. Are you familiar with this type of music? I would go further and say that it is a neo visual kei band, which is different from the older types like X Japan. In neo visual kei it is normal for men to dress, act, and speak like women. That's why I think it's just the singer speaking at the end while his girlfriend listens. If that's the case, do you think that the subject is still the narrator? Is he saying, "There might be nights when we'll end up hurting each other," or is he saying, "There might be nights when I'll end up hurting you?"

Watch Japanese music videos with translations on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/nextgenv...i?feature=mhee

Last edited by languagehacker : 07-01-2011 at 07:49 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

07-02-2011, 12:53 AM

If one were to take the words at face value, the subject would be "I". However, to make it blend into the context better, the subject would be "we".

(#16 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

07-02-2011, 02:01 AM

In your previous message it sounded like you thought the subject was "I," but now it sounds like you think it is "we." Which one do you think it is?

I've already translated and uploaded the video here. Seeing it may or may not provide insight into which one it really is.

Last edited by languagehacker : 07-02-2011 at 02:07 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

07-02-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
In your previous message it sounded like you thought the subject was "I," but now it sounds like you think it is "we." Which one do you think it is?

I've already translated and uploaded the video here. Seeing it may or may not provide insight into which one it really is.
"I". And I said this without reading translation.

I just have very little trust of this author for what he says in the last quote for the reasons I had already mentioned. I am saying "I" because if I didn't, I would feel like I never went to school in Japan and never spoke the language. However, compared to the 2-person-in-1-quote factor, the I-or-we issue is of almost no importance.