JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-14-2007, 01:20 AM

With just individual kanji, each one would be a dictionary entry, as every kanji has alternate readings and meanings.

Like for the first one:

Radical: 一 (KanXi: 1)
Parts: 一, |, 丶, ノ
ReadingsJapanese kun:
Japanese on: フ、 ブ

English meanings
bad;
clumsy;
negative;
non-;
ugly;

This would take a couple weeks to do.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nattybumppo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-14-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
With just individual kanji, each one would be a dictionary entry, as every kanji has alternate readings and meanings.

Like for the first one:

Radical: 一 (KanXi: 1)
Parts: 一, |, 丶, ノ
ReadingsJapanese kun:
Japanese on: フ、 ブ

English meanings
bad;
clumsy;
negative;
non-;
ugly;

This would take a couple weeks to do.
I think he just means that he'd like us to type the characters so he can look them up himself.

It would still take several precious minutes!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nomo (Offline)
New to JF

11-14-2007, 03:09 AM

PDF can be enlarged the view. You must know how to use the kanji dictionary to find out the pronunciation and meaning of kanji. It is difficult to tell the meaning of single kanji word. Kanji almost always used with other word (such as hiragana or pare of kanji word). Only Looking at single kanji word is difficult to understand the meaning. Some time, combination can changes the meaning of the kanji. Also you should not mix up the Japanese kanji and Chinese character. They are similar but they are different.

I suggest buying the “Kanji” dictionary and if you need help how to use the kanji dictionary send message here, because kanji dictionary need to understand the number of stroke to find the meaning of kanji.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nomo (Offline)
New to JF

good luck - 11-14-2007, 03:10 AM

PDF can be enlarged the view. You must know how to use the kanji dictionary to find out the pronunciation and meaning of kanji. It is difficult to tell the meaning of single kanji word. Kanji almost always used with other word (such as hiragana or pare of kanji word). Only Looking at single kanji word is difficult to understand the meaning. Some time, combination can changes the meaning of the kanji. Also you should not mix up the Japanese kanji and Chinese character. They are similar but they are different.

I suggest buying the “Kanji” dictionary and if you need help how to use the kanji dictionary send message here, because kanji dictionary need to understand the number of stroke to find the meaning of kanji.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-14-2007, 06:06 AM

Okay, here goes. I`m going to write a fairly offensive sounding reply.

The characters in these files are *clear* and *easy to read*. If you cannot read them, it means that you do not know them at all. You say you`ve done 400. Well, then you should definitely know most of those in the pdfs - especially as they appear to be in order of frequency. Common sense says that you should have studied these first.
If there are a handful which you are unable to read, that is one thing. But no, you`re asking for these entire lists to be typed up again so that you can do a copy+paste. Doesn`t sound much like a dedicated student to me.

If there are specific kanji you are having a problem with, ask about those. While I don`t mind helping people, I DO mind typing out their "homework" for them.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
LittleSpoon (Offline)
のんびりの王

11-14-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba View Post
The problem is simply that I can't make out what some of the characters are - they're too small and my eyesight is poor - and enlarging the PDF file makes them somewhat blurry. The problem is mostly in the first PDF for the later kanji. The ones in the second PDF are mostly all fine .

Would it be a possibility for you to type the kanji into here from the first PDF from say, 8 strokes upwards? Thanks so much if you can, it would be a great help. Also from 5 strokes, the 3rd, 7th and 12th, from 6 strokes, the 2nd, 3rd, 16th and 21st, and from 7 strokes the 7th, 11th, 15th and 17th.

I'd really appreciate it if you could!
I'll help ya with a tiny bit, but even I don't feel like spending that much time writing out all the readings for all those kanji. I'd recommend an actual kanji text/workbook cause it'll show you strokes (at a legible size) and provide practice space for writing them in.

Ok, so my little contribution is the ones you asked about from the 5 strokers.

号: ごう As in 番号(ばんごう)(Number)
写:しゃ As in 写真(Photo)
冬:ふゆ(Winter)

面倒くせぇ~!

「もう笑わないなんて、人嫌いなんて、言葉そう言わな いで。」ハイ・カラ

チカンに注意。。。笑

「試してみるか?」
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-14-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Okay, here goes. I`m going to write a fairly offensive sounding reply.

The characters in these files are *clear* and *easy to read*. If you cannot read them, it means that you do not know them at all. You say you`ve done 400. Well, then you should definitely know most of those in the pdfs - especially as they appear to be in order of frequency. Common sense says that you should have studied these first.
If there are a handful which you are unable to read, that is one thing. But no, you`re asking for these entire lists to be typed up again so that you can do a copy+paste. Doesn`t sound much like a dedicated student to me.

If there are specific kanji you are having a problem with, ask about those. While I don`t mind helping people, I DO mind typing out their "homework" for them.
I agree, Nyororin.

If you cannot see those kanji, you need to get new glasses.

The idea of having a cut-and-paste dictionary is surely attractive, but you can look all of those kanji up on line or with (gasp) a paper dictionary.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
LittleSpoon (Offline)
のんびりの王

11-14-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I agree, Nyororin.

If you cannot see those kanji, you need to get new glasses.

The idea of having a cut-and-paste dictionary is surely attractive, but you can look all of those kanji up on line or with (gasp) a paper dictionary.
A paper dictionary?! Banish the thought of using such a primitive method! Hahaha... I agree with ya though. Since they give the stroke count in that file its not even that much of a chore to look through a dictionary according to stroke count and find something that looks similar and that you can see. Yes...new glasses!

面倒くせぇ~!

「もう笑わないなんて、人嫌いなんて、言葉そう言わな いで。」ハイ・カラ

チカンに注意。。。笑

「試してみるか?」
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-14-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
A paper dictionary?! Banish the thought of using such a primitive method! Hahaha...
Actually, we tested this a few years back when a friend was talking about getting an electronic dictionary because it would be "faster". We decided to test that theory. One friend brought their electronic dictionary, another friend used a dictionary on the PC, and I used a paper dictionary.

All 20 or so words we decided to look up were found most quickly in the paper dictionary. The electronic dictionary was the slowest, both to enter the words and to hunt for the right definition. The PC was the quickest to actually pull the entered word up, but it still took too long to find the needed meaning.
Both the electronic and PC dictionaries lacked example sentences to help clue you in on which was really the meaning you wanted.

I still find it incredibly fun to beat the boy I tutor. He has an electronic dictionary, which despite being state of the art, and very cool.... Still takes twice as long to use as a run of the mill paper dictionary. :P

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

11-14-2007, 08:09 AM

I still prefer the paper dictionary over any other electronic dictionary for studying.. I still don't own an electronic dictionary no matter how my japanese friend convince me that it was convenient.
I love those big dictionary, I think it was Kodansha, where every character has a history , not only will I learn the character itself but I get also to learn how to write it properly as well as its story

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------