JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2008, 07:49 AM

Exactly. Look at that guy in the video screaming. Whacky! In the states, reruns of Takashi's Castle (called Most Extreme in the states) is popular and, well, whacky.

But it's tv, which means its a peice of crap, thought up by stupid people trying to sell us more garbage, because they know we watch.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
06-22-2008, 08:23 AM

That looks like a great show. I think I'll actually tune into that XD .

If someone offered me a free trip to Japan on the stipulation that I had to participate in a Japanese game show, I'd be both excited and scared. For instance, MXC looks like it would a lot of fun to participate in; at the same time, I always see some poor guy step on one of the sinkers and do a full split >。< .

It may be true that the Japanese sense of humor is lost on the average American, but most of us can still laugh!

It's sort of like how some people have a taste for "British" humor and some don't.

In the end, though, as long as you're laughing, the goal has been met. As they say, laughter is the universal language.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
jrock4life (Offline)
New to JF

06-22-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
A friend of mine has just told me about this new TV program in the U.S.

What's the idea behind it? Are we Japanese being rediculed once again? What kind of a country does Japan sound like to many Americans, especially those who have never been to Japan? If a giant like ABC entitles a program, that title has got to mean something. What do the general American public think of when they hear the name 'I Survived A Japanese Game Show'? I seem to get mixed feelings whenever my country's name is used this way.

Here's the link to the program:

I Survived... - ABC this summer, the fun starts here - ABC.com
I don't think it's any different than watching Sasuke (Ninja Warrior) or Unbeatable Banzuke on the G4 channel here in American. I like to watch these shows because they're based on skill and not stupid stunts.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-22-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock4life View Post
I don't think it's any different than watching Sasuke (Ninja Warrior) or Unbeatable Banzuke on the G4 channel here in American. I like to watch these shows because they're based on skill and not stupid stunts.
That's why I like Sasuke, Unbeatable Banzuke, and Kunoichi, for those reasons. It's all about skill, determination, and friendly competition.

As for MXC (Takeshi's Castle), I personally grew sick of it since it wasn't done in the way that the other three shows were done in. I got sick of the bad jokes and potty humor.

Either way, still seems kind of silly to do this type of a game show since, to me, it strikes me as being closer to MXC quality as opposed to Sasuke or Unbeatable Banzuke. To me, it seems like they're making fun of Japan, not idolizing it. I guess ABC is trying to cash in on all the Japanese stuff this country is showing now. Like the British invasion in the 60s, we're having a Japanese one now. =P
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Varin (Offline)
New to JF

Me too - 06-28-2008, 05:37 PM

I find it insulting too (but i'm not japanese) but the show itself is actualy
a fun experiment. but the name sucks.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

06-29-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Japanese gameshows are known for being whacky and different. (As opposed to lame Western gameshows like Wheel of Fortune and Who wants to be a millionaire).
I agree.

"I Survived A Japanese Game Show", to me, sounds... natural. Most people that have seen clips of J-Game shows have a common thought: "Who in the hell would do something that is that close to impossible just so that when they fail, they can have that happen to them?!"

I don't know the name of the show, but on youtube there are several clips of the same one where a participant who fails to perform a given stunt, one person comes out to restrain him while another takes a big mouthful of something odorous (natto and garlic were two of the items that I remember) and breathes through a tube into the participants face. This is after, of course, they had just tried to jump through a gap that is only a foot wide, if that, and failed.

So, for many of us, we see those kinds of things and wonder who comes up with that crazy stuff and who volunteers for it.

Then you have shows like MXC, which often results in seemingly severe bodily harm--even though the worst injury I've seen was a broken nose, it just looks horrible when some poor guys steps on a Sinker and does the splits.

Then we wonder how people are NOT getting hurt :P .

Hence the name: "I Survived A Japanese Game Show." It just fits.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-29-2008, 02:30 AM

Basically this show looks like 10 Americans participating in a prefabricated game show with a fake audience doing very very tame Takeshi's Castle type stunts. Whichever team loses has to vote out one of their members each week. (They all share a house in Tokyo).

I hope they introduce a bit of Japan in the show, but everything I saw was inside the silly looking studio.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Ven (Offline)
sum1 fitin n getin strong

06-29-2008, 02:36 AM

its kei kato the host of unbeatable banzuke. seriously like MXC.

Member of the Tenjou Tenge Clan
Member name: Souichiro
Current number of members: 4
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

06-29-2008, 04:10 AM

I enjoy the show.
I mean, Japanese game shows to us
are ridiculous. Who does all that stuff
here in the states?
That's like Viva la Bam or Jackass.
I mean, if it's insulting...c'mon.
It's no big deal.
Americans get made fun of all the time,
but do I care? No.
'Cause it's not important.

But man,
if that host says,
"マジデ!?"
One more time, I'm
gonna fly to Tokyo
and punch him in the
face.
And is it me, or is the
show's logo not read
"Majide"?
It says "Honki de",
(本気で) right?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

06-29-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Basically this show looks like 10 Americans participating in a prefabricated game show with a fake audience doing very very tame Takeshi's Castle type stunts. Whichever team loses has to vote out one of their members each week. (They all share a house in Tokyo).

I hope they introduce a bit of Japan in the show, but everything I saw was inside the silly looking studio.
Now THAT sounds like a typical American "reality" show.

And I was all excited, too .

I don't get the appeal of smooshing ten clashing-personalities into a single house and making them all compete with each other. In my opinion, all those shows ever do is show just how low a person can get either to meet a goal or just for the hell of it.

I may still TRY watching this one, just 'cause it's in Japan... but I don't think I'm going to hold my breath anymore :P .

Quote: