JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Th4RLdeal (Offline)
New to JF

Transformers 2 "Revenge of the Fallen" (May contain Spoilers) - 07-07-2009, 07:05 PM

I did not Find any threads specifically about this film when I searched, so I'm starting this one. That said, if there IS a thread and I overlooked it, please re-direct me there so that I can join the discussion.

Okay, I am very curious to find out what other people are thinking of this movie. I have a very very strong opinion about it myself, but I don't want to "color" the tone of this thread at the outset by stating that opinion. Now let's begin!

Who wants to go first? The topic is: "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" and things directly related to it.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-07-2009, 07:08 PM

I think it takes more than giant robots blowing things up to justify a 2 hour and 20 minute run time, and to me there wasn't a whole lot more than that going on.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4RLdeal View Post
I did not Find any threads specifically about this film when I searched, so I'm starting this one. That said, if there IS a thread and I overlooked it, please re-direct me there so that I can join the discussion.

Okay, I am very curious to find out what other people are thinking of this movie. I have a very very strong opinion about it myself, but I don't want to "color" the tone of this thread at the outset by stating that opinion. Now let's begin!

Who wants to go first? The topic is: "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" and things directly related to it.
Haven't seen it... but I've heard some pretty interesting things about it. Um. I noticed that you put "color" in quotation marks. I don't know if you did that on purpose to kind of hint at an issue of the movie... but either way, I've read some pretty interesting articles describing a couple characters in the movie that are racist stereotypes. Also, there are just some movies that don't need a sequel (i.e.: Pirates of the Caribbean... AND they're coming out with a fourth one soon!) Transformers was one of them. So, I never went and saw it.

LOVE: pass it on
(#4 (permalink))
Old
hinata2 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to hinata2 Send a message via Yahoo to hinata2
07-07-2009, 08:18 PM

everyone says its terrible but i thought it was good
(#5 (permalink))
Old
soshla (Offline)
New to JF

07-07-2009, 09:41 PM

i went to see it i thought it was pretty good.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
hinata2 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to hinata2 Send a message via Yahoo to hinata2
07-07-2009, 09:44 PM

yea it is good
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Th4RLdeal (Offline)
New to JF

07-08-2009, 03:17 AM

Well, I probably have the most bizarre take on this movie possible. I found it very entertaining...

BUT I REALLY REALLY HATED IT at the same time.

Why? Well, as a movie it's... MEH. As a movie about giant robots hitting eachother it's fun to watch. But as a Transformers movie... It failed epically.
I am a Transformer fan since I was four. I spent the last two years looking forward to seeing Arcee (the red motorcycle) and Sideswipe (The silver Corvette) in action. And then they were in the movie for about 1 minute total, and the "Twins" got all the screen time; even eclipsing Bumblebee for a few minutes.
I spent the last TWO YEARS waiting to see Megatron come back from the dead. And now he's kind of a wuss this time around. So basically the three characters I was excited to see get the "short end of the stick".

To make a long story short, MMM; you really said it best:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think it takes more than giant robots blowing things up to justify a 2 hour and 20 minute run time, and to me there wasn't a whole lot more than that going on.
Optimus Prime's pretty cool though. Ya know... UNTIL HE... (Just kidding! Optimus is really cool.)

oh, one more thing before I go to bed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
...I noticed that you put "color" in quotation marks. I don't know if you did that on purpose to kind of hint at an issue of the movie... but either way, I've read some pretty interesting articles describing a couple characters in the movie that are racist stereotypes.
Whoops... Well... I actually didn't mean it to sound like that... (I usually put words in quotation marks when I feel like I'm using them out of their usual context) But in all truthfulness: YES. The "Twins" actually could easily be construed as offensive.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-08-2009, 03:38 AM

I agree with a lot of what of what you said. The robots with real character (Optimus, Bumblebee) got pale little screen time...same with Megatron. I didn't like the twins not just because they were jive-talking robots, but more because their stupid antics contradict the whole idea of the Transformers being superior beings. And they certainly weren't the only ones, either.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-08-2009, 03:40 AM

I haven't seen it yet.. but I hear it's UBER-ridiculuous!

Like Sam Witwicky dying and then going to Transformer heaven to be ressurected ridiculuous.

My friend said that she couldn't believe how stupid the whole thing was. Full of HUGE illogical "I want to rip out my hair because it's so stupid" type plot holes. Like apparently they have some device which can revive transformers but they don't even think of using it to revive Optimus etc.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-08-2009, 03:46 AM

Here's a review I found... It explains the ridiculuousness of transformers 2. It's done in a self interview format.

Topless Robot - Bonus! Rob's Transformers 2 F.A.Q.s!
Quote:
It dawned on me at about 4am last night when I was finishing my review that 2500 words might not be enough to fully describe the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen experience. Additionally, I really didn't get much into the plot, as I was so busy explaining why it was a fundamentally shitty movie. So I took a little time to interview myself about the movie's story in order to help you understand what RotF is all about. Hope it helps!

Are there honestly 46 new Transformers in the movie?
I have no fucking clue. It's impossible to tell most of them apart except for Optimus and the Racist Twins (there's another yellow Autobot who I constantly thought was Bumblebee). There could be 46, or there could be 12. I honestly would believe 12 if someone had said that.

What is the status of the Transformers at the beginning of the film?
The Autobots have joined the military to hunt down the Decepticons. We're told the Decepticons are "doing things," but they appear to be hiding peacefully when the Autobots show up and brutally murder them.

What?
Yeah. The Decepticons aren't apparently doing anything, then the Autobots show up, the Decepticons run for their goddamn lives, and the Autobots hunt them down and brutally murder them. It's kind of weird.

Why is the U.S. military helping them?
Supposedly to help keep the Transformers a secret from the public. Although since the climax of the last film was a massive firefight involving 50-foot robots and took place over five miles of downtown Los Angeles and the beginning of this film wrecks several miles of Shanghai, China, they seem to be incredibly shitty at their job........ (it continues)