Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-25-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
No Goodfellas?!
Nope. But it would make it on my Top 20.

Quote:
No, I did that list for a Technical Writing assignment. We had to write a paper about something that was opinion-based and then state our reasons for having said opinion in a persuasive way.
Ahhh I see. You seem to know quite a lot about movies, which puts you on my Top list of favorite people on the forum.

-----------------------
PS. Come on, somebody say CG in Lord of the Rings was bad, I'm in the mood for discussing that endlessly.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#92 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-25-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Nope. But it would make it on my Top 20.

Ahhh I see. You seem to know quite a lot about movies, which puts you on my Top list of favorite people on the forum.
I'm honored

Quote:
PS. Come on, somebody say CG in Lord of the Rings was bad, I'm in the mood for discussing that endlessly.
The CG in LOTR was bad......

not! It's actually some of the best CG I've ever seen. They had teams of people working on the visuals that were obsessed with Tolkien. Everything was totally canon throughout.

(#93 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

04-25-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
The CG in LOTR was bad......

not! It's actually some of the best CG I've ever seen. They had teams of people working on the visuals that were obsessed with Tolkien. Everything was totally canon throughout.

It brings me to tears of admiration everytime I watch the over 6 hour additonal material that each of the three movies has in the extended DVD version. Reminds me of why I got into the movie-making world. But, I'll say no more. This is about Inception and MMM won't appreciate us deviating from the topic.

(#94 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-25-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Using a green screen as a way to add computer-generated graphics later on and replace it with the actual background during the editing process has nothing to do with the acting. An actor who can truly act will pull off his role on a set or on location. Actually it has all the more merit cause you have to imagine it all in your head and make it look good when the footage is edited and complemented with additional re-creation footage. It's all make believe. It's the magic of cinema. The perfect example of that is The Lord of the Rings, masterpiece at its purest. I will fight anyone to the ground who even suggests it was not brilliantly made, acted and directed.

As for Top 10 lists, I have taken History of Film and there's a few titles that have to be on that list regardless of anyone's personal opinion. I probably wouldn't place Citizen Kane on mine but I understand why it deserves to be there.

Just for the record,

1- Pulp Fiction

2- The Lord of the Rings trilogy

3- A History of Violence

4- American Beauty

5- The Departed

6- The Godfather

7- Forrest Gump

8- Requiem for a Dream

9- Saving Private Ryan

10- Fight Club

Myk, are you studying something film-related?
There comes the cinema lady

I like your list Suki.

Plup Fiction at 1 wow! Bold^^

Saving Private Ryan must be in the top 3 War Movies with Thin The Red Line and Platoon. Never understood whats so great about Apocalypse Now to be honest with ya.

but, I could never put the Lord of the Rings in there. But thats just my personal dislike against these Fantasy trilogy's I guess..

Also whats so remarkable about The Godfather??

American Beauty was excellent!

Also with the Computer Crap.. I will always remember Shiua LaBeouf only acting in front of green wall when he did Transformers.. I don't see the point in making movies like that. I agree with you, thats not the norm at all.. however, it does get more and more these days.

Also all these Special effect which are being used these days.. makes Cinema less for me, especially this 3-D crap.

Quote:
No Goodfellas?!

PS - The Departed totally deserves a spot in any Top 10 list - Wish I would have remembered that when I was doing my paper.
I have to disagree here with both of ya. I don't think Departed should be in there just because to many things have been stolen from the original Infernal Affairs from China.
But other then that the acting was excellent and the whole cast just amazing.

Also myk, I have to add another one which should have been in my top 10 instead of The Game.

Apocalypto An absolut Masterpiece in my eyes!!!

Also you will Love U-Turn, the cast is outstanding and it's from Oliver Stone.

Last edited by BobbyCooper : 04-25-2011 at 11:27 AM.
(#95 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-26-2011, 04:25 PM

I think I approached the Top 10 differently. When you said 10 Best Movies Of All Time, I was thinking 10 movies that I loved and respected, but also have important places in film history.

If I were to do my 10 Favorite Movies of the Past 20 years, it would look much like Suki's list, but is this a list of favorite movies, or movies we think are the best?... and there is a difference.
(#96 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

04-26-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper
I have to disagree here with both of ya. I don't think Departed should be in there just because to many things have been stolen from the original Infernal Affairs from China.
So what? Scorsese meant for it to be inspired by this other movie. He didn't steal anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper
Apocalypto An absolut Masterpiece in my eyes!!!
I liked it but I had a bad time watching it. I was like, somebody kill this man already and put an end to his suffering!!! xD No lies. I got anxious to an unhealthy degree. And the poor woman giving birth and so close to drowning... that was overly dramatic in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think I approached the Top 10 differently. When you said 10 Best Movies Of All Time, I was thinking 10 movies that I loved and respected, but also have important places in film history.

If I were to do my 10 Favorite Movies of the Past 20 years, it would look much like Suki's list, but is this a list of favorite movies, or movies we think are the best?... and there is a difference.
I was thinking of my 10 all-time favorite movies. My list would have been very different if I'd taken into consideration the impact they'd had in other movies to come, or how challaging it was to make them in the time they were made, or how they made a difference for being ahead of their time, etc.

(#97 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-26-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of my 10 all-time favorite movies. My list would have been very different if I'd taken into consideration the impact they'd had in other movies to come, or how challaging it was to make them in the time they were made, or how they made a difference for being ahead of their time, etc.
It's hard to be critical of people's opinions... I mean your favorite movies are your favorite movies, and there is little that can be said to change one's mind.

I am a little surprised how modern your choices are, Suki. My favorite era of American cinema, at least, is about 1967 to about 1980, when the studio system was turned on its ear, and the inmates were running the asylum to create movies like Easy Rider, The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, Dog Day Afternoon, Marathon Man, and many other movies that could never be made today.
(#98 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-26-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It's hard to be critical of people's opinions... I mean your favorite movies are your favorite movies, and there is little that can be said to change one's mind.

I am a little surprised how modern your choices are, Suki. My favorite era of American cinema, at least, is about 1967 to about 1980, when the studio system was turned on its ear, and the inmates were running the asylum to create movies like Easy Rider, The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, Dog Day Afternoon, Marathon Man, and many other movies that could never be made today.
Now that you mention it, I'm suprised that Easy Rider hasn't been included on any of the top movies lists that I've read, critics or consensus. Not only did it start a new wave of far-out filmmaking, but it solidified Dennis Hopper's place in the big leagues, and was Jack Nicholson's breakout role.

And did I mention the soundtrack?

(#99 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-26-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Now that you mention it, I'm suprised that Easy Rider hasn't been included on any of the top movies lists that I've read, critics or consensus. Not only did it start a new wave of far-out filmmaking, but it solidified Dennis Hopper's place in the big leagues, and was Jack Nicholson's breakout role.

And did I mention the soundtrack?
Certainly Easy Rider is a great movie and a great soundtrack and it really put its thumb on defining what was going on in American modern youth culture at the time.

I think part of the problem with Easy Rider is that it is a successful movie, despite itself. Some scenes are just too drug-fueled (like the Mardi Gras parade), but in some ways it just got lucky.

The other problem is that it is a bit like Alice in Wonderland, in that Jack Nicholson's character is like Alice entering the alternative world of the American youth. This is the opposite of The Graduate, which also came out about the same time, and was the breakout role for Dustin Hoffman. The Graduate is a much more structured movie, but it asks similar questions. I think it is sometimes higher regarded as instead of everyman entering the world of the rebel, the rebel is in the world of the everyman.

Both are iconic, important, and entertaining movies, but I would choose The Graduate over Easy Rider as the better film.
(#100 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-28-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
So what? Scorsese meant for it to be inspired by this other movie. He didn't steal anything.

I liked it but I had a bad time watching it. I was like, somebody kill this man already and put an end to his suffering!!! xD No lies. I got anxious to an unhealthy degree. And the poor woman giving birth and so close to drowning... that was overly dramatic in my opinion.

But Suki^^ it's still a remake

I just don't think that a remake should make it into the top 10 list.. the orginial shouldn't make that happen anymore.

About Apocalypto, I think thats just a matter of personal opinion I guess. I especially loved those parts and found them to be really intense. Even a birth in such an intense way, like the chasing throughout the jungle. Just an intense look into the World of the Mayan kingdom (even if most of it was fiction).

I really think this movie should have gotten a lot more attention. Only because Mel Gibson is a freak these days.. shouldn't discredit this epic picture.

To the others, I don't think a movie should be in the top 10 just because it has had such a huge impact on cinema. Then Odysee 2001 must be in everybodys top 10 as well.