LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-24-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
I thought we already moved past the fact that it's based on the individual himself and not some Movie snob who might think that Inception belongs there or not and that we moved on in finding the most reliable list out there?!

here..

I really don't know what to criticize here.
For the fourth and final time, no one at IMBD is voting for the Top 10 Films of All Time. The fact that no individual is voting for the Top 10 Films of All Time means you cannot call the results that.

Let's say I go to a wine tasting and sample 20 wines. Let's say I think three of them are really really good, and I rank them 10/10. That information is put into a national database with other wine tasters, and let's say one of those wines gets into the top 10. Does that mean I believe that wine is on of the Top 10 Wines in the World? No, that's not what I voted for. Again, it is just an average of user ratings. It is not conscious ranking of best pictures.
(#82 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-24-2011, 08:28 PM

GoodFellas
U-Turn
Platoon
Memories of Murder
The Game
Into the Wild
Letters from Iwo Jima
Kill Bill I
Joint Security Area - JSA
Mystic River

Top 3 are

1.Memories of Murder
2.Into the wild
3.U-Turn

the other I can't sort^^
(#83 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-24-2011, 08:34 PM

Sure, with a tiny bit of thought, here is mine:

1. Citizen Kane
2. Seven Samurai
3. The Bicycle Thief
4. The Godfather
5. Goodfellas
6. M
7. Breathless
8. Raging Bull
9. The Third Man
10. Vertigo
(#84 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
GoodFellas
U-Turn
Platoon
Memories of Murder
The Game
Into the Wild
Letters from Iwo Jima
Kill Bill I
Joint Security Area - JSA
Mystic River

Top 3 are

1.Memories of Murder
2.Into the wild
3.U-Turn

the other I can't sort^^
Good call on Platoon! I think it was Oliver Stone's absolute best movie, and he made a lot of Vietnam films. Kill Bill, Letters From Iwo Jima, Mystic River: those are all great picks. Emile Hirsch did sooo well in Into the Wild. I have a hard time deciding if that or Johnny Truelove in Alpha Dog was his best role.

Looks like we're all in agreeance on Goodfellas, and incidently, that's one of the few films that the both the critics and the people consistently place on the top 10.

Last edited by myk : 04-24-2011 at 08:38 PM.
(#85 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
For the fourth and final time, no one at IMBD is voting for the Top 10 Films of All Time. The fact that no individual is voting for the Top 10 Films of All Time means you cannot call the results that.

Let's say I go to a wine tasting and sample 20 wines. Let's say I think three of them are really really good, and I rank them 10/10. That information is put into a national database with other wine tasters, and let's say one of those wines gets into the top 10. Does that mean I believe that wine is on of the Top 10 Wines in the World? No, that's not what I voted for. Again, it is just an average of user ratings. It is not conscious ranking of best pictures.
It is a rating which adds up due to people voting for it. And if the results result into having Inception at 8 because of it's rating, then it belongs there because the people who are respected by the side voted for it so highly.

And if the ranking of Inception reaches a level wich would bring it into the top 10, then thats how it is. But like you mentioned earlier does rankings still change because other people go and vote for the Godfather again.

The ranking of the movie is what counts. If Inception has reached a 9.0 then it's automatically in there..
(#86 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
It is a rating which adds up due to people voting for it. And if the results result into having Inception at 8 because of it's rating, then it belongs there because the people who are respected by the side voted for it so highly.

And if the ranking of Inception reaches a level wich would bring it into the top 10, then thats how it is. But like you mentioned earlier does rankings still change because other people go and vote for the Godfather again.

The ranking of the movie is what counts. If Inception has reached a 9.0 then it's automatically in there..
That is different than the exercise we are doing here. That is textbook fallacy of groupthink.

The limitations of the system are that there is not scientific method to the ranking, meaning it is not one person=one vote. Movies that get more exposure get more potential votes. Not everyone sees all movies. And of the 585,000 people that voted for Shawshank, how many of them would actually saw it is the best movie of all time? We do not know the answer to that, so we cannot say with accuracy that Shawshank is considered the best movie of all time by IMDB users. It is simply ranked number one by averages. Not even IMDB calls this list that.
(#87 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Sure, with a tiny bit of thought, here is mine:

1. Citizen Kane
2. Seven Samurai
3. The Bicycle Thief
4. The Godfather
5. Goodfellas
6. M
7. Breathless
8. Raging Bull
9. The Third Man
10. Vertigo
Rangin Bull, I love that one so much! It's in my top 20 as well. The intensity is just brilliant.

The Godfather a classic, but I never understood what made it so great. I liked the one where Pacino played the lead role much more. I think it was the second part.

Also the Oldies, Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Good call on Platoon! I think it was Oliver Stone's absolute best movie, and he made a lot of Vietnam films. Kill Bill, Letters From Iwo Jima, Mystic River: those are all great picks. Emile Hirsch did sooo well in Into the Wild. I have a hard time deciding if that or Johnny Truelove in Alpha Dog was his best role.

Looks like we're all in agreeance on Goodfellas, and incidently, that's one of the few films that the both the critics and the people consistently place on the top 10.
Very true! It's really what you call a Masterpiece!

I also think behind U-Turn, Platoon is Oliver Stone's second best Movie. I hope you have seen U-Turn

Emile Hirsch was just outstanding and I believe it was his best so far. Also the movie went by like an entire artwork from the beginning to the end.
(#88 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I also think behind U-Turn, Platoon is Oliver Stone's second best Movie. I hope you have seen U-Turn

Emile Hirsch was just outstanding and I believe it was his best so far. Also the movie went by like an entire artwork from the beginning to the end.
I haven't seen that actually... Think I'll put it on.

(#89 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-24-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Computer Crap is what we see in almost every single movie these days.. I mean whats the point in acting in front of a green wall I am asking you?
Sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Using a green screen as a way to add computer-generated graphics later on and replace it with the actual background during the editing process has nothing to do with the acting. An actor who can truly act will pull off his role on a set or on location. Actually it has all the more merit cause you have to imagine it all in your head and make it look good when the footage is edited and complemented with additional re-creation footage. It's all make believe. It's the magic of cinema. The perfect example of that is The Lord of the Rings, masterpiece at its purest. I will fight anyone to the ground who even suggests it was not brilliantly made, acted and directed.

As for Top 10 lists, I have taken History of Film and there's a few titles that have to be on that list regardless of anyone's personal opinion. I probably wouldn't place Citizen Kane on mine but I understand why it deserves to be there.

Just for the record,

1- Pulp Fiction

2- The Lord of the Rings trilogy

3- A History of Violence

4- American Beauty

5- The Departed

6- The Godfather

7- Forrest Gump

8- Requiem for a Dream

9- Saving Private Ryan

10- Fight Club

Myk, are you studying something film-related?

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#90 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-25-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Using a green screen as a way to add computer-generated graphics later on and replace it with the actual background during the editing process has nothing to do with the acting. An actor who can truly act will pull off his role on a set or on location. Actually it has all the more merit cause you have to imagine it all in your head and make it look good when the footage is edited and complemented with additional re-creation footage. It's all make believe. It's the magic of cinema. The perfect example of that is The Lord of the Rings, masterpiece at its purest. I will fight anyone to the ground who even suggests it was not brilliantly made, acted and directed.

As for Top 10 lists, I have taken History of Film and there's a few titles that have to be on that list regardless of anyone's personal opinion. I probably wouldn't place Citizen Kane on mine but I understand why it deserves to be there.

Just for the record,

1- Pulp Fiction

2- The Lord of the Rings trilogy

3- A History of Violence

4- American Beauty

5- The Departed

6- The Godfather

7- Forrest Gump

8- Requiem for a Dream

9- Saving Private Ryan

10- Fight Club

Myk, are you studying something film-related?
No Goodfellas?!

No, I did that list for a Technical Writing assignment. We had to write a paper about something that was opinion-based and then state our reasons for having said opinion in a persuasive way.

PS - The Departed totally deserves a spot in any Top 10 list - Wish I would have remembered that when I was doing my paper.

Last edited by myk : 04-25-2011 at 12:15 AM.