JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Cross training - 09-03-2009, 08:10 AM

In light of all this 'what is better' crap, I was wondering who among us has had exeprience touching hands with different disciplines or cross training or sharing techs with different MAs. I've done quite a lot of this and was wondering what others' experiences have been.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-03-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
In light of all this 'what is better' crap, I was wondering who among us has had exeprience touching hands with different disciplines or cross training or sharing techs with different MAs. I've done quite a lot of this and was wondering what others' experiences have been.
It's good to be well-rounded. If I'm assaulted out of the blue, I've got Jiujutsu (the real one, ladies, not this brazilian shit) and aikido to help me out, if it turns into fisticuffs I've got muay thai kickboxing at my back, and if it goes to the ground, jiujutsu, judo, and the brazilian sweaty dick-punching martial arts all keep me covered.

The only drawback to cross training is that you arent likely to be too expert in any one of them, but I'll take being well-rounded and adaptable any day over being ingrained soley in one area.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-03-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
The only drawback to cross training is that you arent likely to be too expert in any one of them, but I'll take being well-rounded and adaptable any day over being ingrained soley in one area.
Yeah. That's what I say about MMA; jack of all trades and master of none.

A raised from scratch MMA fighter usually has really shitty striking... at the same time, they usually have a bit of trouble in a pure BJJ competition.

Personally, but, I prefer to master something, rather than jack everything.

I started with Wing Chun (WC, Kung Fu) and self taught Ninjutsu (which, regardless it was self taught, actually went quite well; I focused on all techniques in it aside fighting, as I used WC for that).

After a while, my WC teacher told me he also taught Brazilian Jiu Jutsu (BJJ) on other days to supplement his WC. So I started that as well, but only for a few months. I learned the basics, but.

I also did a tad of Karate then, but only learned 2 kicks. That inspired me to start doing self taught Tae Kwon Do later on as I enjoyed the back kicks. From TKD, which I still study, I only practice the single techniques, not the style. Because my current style only has basic kicks. I learn the kicks from an instructional DVD which is really in depth in explaining how to do them (probably more in depth than most teachers go).

I was in the Infantry for a bit. But that career flunked. Yet it gave me a taste of modern combat training (I completed 9 months of full time training before leaving it).

Now I've been doing Muay Thai for 2 years in Thailand. We also do a lot of Western Boxing in Muay Thai classes, as most the Muay Thai guys have also done pro Boxing fights and the two styles are very closely related nowadays.

Now I've decided to stick with Muay Thai supplemented with Tae Kwon Do advanced kicking, and Ninjutsu technique for fun. But I always keep an eye on other styles, mostly via the internet, to see what I might be up against and hear other peoples opinions on the matter.

Muay Thai is great, because it has the potential for a career in sport. But it also is good for the street. Training in it is mostly conditioning based; I mean, you only need to practice a kick so many times to learn it, but we continue to bash a bag for over an hour twice a day with the same kick during the whole career to keep those legs tough.

But being high on conditioning, it is of real benefit. It's hard to explain; just very powerful strikes and able to take a hard hit back.

The problem with cross training whilst doing Muay Thai, from a professional perspective, you're going to waste a lot of energy that you need to use training your Muay Thai conditioning. Let's say I did BJJ ground fighting for 3 days a week, and Muay Thai for 3 days. I'd literally only be half as good as a pro Muay Thai. So it isn't practical if you want to excel 100% in the style.

Then you've to consider do you really need to cross train to be rounded? Well, I don't think so. Most people would only do it for UFC or street, nothing else.

If you want to fight UFC then cross train. Yes. But if you want to fight street, best stick with a single style and only briefly train the rest for experience.

You can rarely ground fight on the street, anyway. Why? Most street fights are against multiple opponents; you'll get your head stomped. When it is against a single opponent, he's usually larger than you; don't wrestle with big guys. The chances of being in a 1 on 1 evenly weighed street fight is much smaller, and even if you are, you could just use striking then.

Also, you don't need to worry about how to counter a professional BJJ master on the street. The chances of getting into a fight with someone trained in that style competantly on the street when you wern't looking for it is 1 in a billion or something. Don't be silly.

I think that covers everything.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…

Last edited by Tenchu : 09-03-2009 at 08:55 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-03-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
I've got Jiujutsu (the real one, ladies, not this brazilian shit)

Why "brazilian shit ladies"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post

A raised from scratch MMA fighter usually has really shitty striking...

How many "raised from scratch MMA fighters" have you fought?

Quote:

If you want to fight UFC then cross train. Yes. But if you want to fight street, best stick with a single style and only briefly train the rest for experience.

What do you base that opinion on?

Quote:

You can rarely ground fight on the street, anyway. Why? Most street fights are against multiple opponents; you'll get your head stomped. When it is against a single opponent, he's usually larger than you; don't wrestle with big guys. The chances of being in a 1 on 1 evenly weighed street fight is much smaller, and even if you are, you could just use striking then.

Also, you don't need to worry about how to counter a professional BJJ master on the street. The chances of getting into a fight with someone trained in that style competantly on the street when you wern't looking for it is 1 in a billion or something.

Last edited by Nyororin : 09-04-2009 at 06:41 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
09-03-2009, 11:12 AM

Here's a fun and very applicable saying x]

A half empty jug will always make more noise than a full one :3

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-03-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuujirou View Post
Here's a fun and very applicable saying x]

A half empty jug will always make more noise than a full one :3

Isn't an empy jug better?

And what the hell is with the "x]" and ":3" in every post? Looks really stupid.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-03-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Why "brazilian shit ladies"?
Like I said, it isn't much good on the street. I don't think it's shit; it has its uses. But it is literally the least practical street style, I think.

Quote:
How many "raised from scratch MMA fighters" have you fought?
None. But I've trained with dozens (I used to train at Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket for about a year; it has both MMA and Muay Thai available).

If you want to see the numbers, watch Fight Science documentry. It's a pretty flawed documentry, as it does not take weight into account when they measure the striking power of different martial artists. Lucky, but, all the MMA fighters in Fight Science 2 were larger than all of the specialized strikers used in the previous episode, and guess what; they all had way lower numbers in all their strikes.

Do you really think you have a point to argue? Is an MMA fighter really going to have equal strike power if he only trains half as much? Possible, but not likely.

Quote:
Which part? The UFC part or the street part?

For UFC, your opponent will be similar weight as you and 1 on 1; these are the ideal situations for a grappler.

On the street, however, this is unlikely to happen. The moment your opponent is bigger than you or you're outnumbered, BJJ is almost useless.

So best stick to a single striking style and become proficient for the street unless you seriously intend on taking part in UFC sport.

Quote:
Both common sense and experience:

Pro BJJ guys are rare, and most guys who have learned a style to a professional level shy away from street fights because they can get banned from sporting events for doing it. So, seriously, you think you need to learn how to counter Bas Rutten? Right...

As for the fight stats; that's how it happens. If you've been in over 10 fights yourself, you should be able to prove it with your own stats.

Are you going to offer an opinion? I see you're all about challenging others, but've nothing to say for yourself.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…

Last edited by Tenchu : 09-03-2009 at 12:37 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-03-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Like I said, it isn't much good on the street.

Have you attempted to use it "on the street" and found that you couldn't apply it well?

Quote:
None.

Well, that tells me all I need to know about that opinion...

Quote:
watch Fight Science documentry. It's a pretty flawed documentry

Then why the hell would I watch it, let alone rely on it for anything? And are you really telling me that you measure hand skills by some silly Jr. High science project pressure pad toy?

Quote:
The moment your opponent is bigger than you or you're outnumbered, BJJ is almost useless.

That comment reveals new depths of ignorance.

Last edited by Nyororin : 09-04-2009 at 06:41 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-03-2009, 02:33 PM

tksensei, PLEASE learn how to do multiple quotes in a single response. You are very quickly going to get banned for spamming if you don't. It looks awful, and all your responses are only insults and rebuttals, aka. flames. Spamming+ flaming = banhammer. Careful.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-04-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Have you attempted to use it "on the street" and found that you couldn't apply it well?
No. I don't believe anyone has, actually.

It's like this, see; using BJJ against multiple opponents is like relying on professional sprinting to get you across a football field whilst under fire from a rifle squad... it just isn't going to work...

Seriously, how do you honestly expect to use it against multiple opponents? It just isn't possible.

Quote:
Well, that tells me all I need to know about that opinion...
What the fuck is your problem? Are you blind or something? Need physical experience to have any idea of what the fuck is and is not possible?

Have you ever fought a professional Muay Thai fighter, by any chance?

I find BJJ and MMA guys always try and discredit other peoples skills by the fact they have trouble providing video evidence of it or've never done something. The reason they do it is because they can't defend their own skills cause everyone can see it doesn't work, so they "defend" their skills by attacking the person they're talking with.

Quote:
Then why the hell would I watch it, let alone rely on it for anything? And are you really telling me that you measure hand skills by some silly Jr. High science project pressure pad toy?
You'd watch it to see the basic striking power of an MMA fighter is usually much lower.

And what do you mean "hand skills"? Same as strike power, it's not difficult to know an MMA fighter will have a poorer defence than a trained striker because they only train for it half as much.

Quote:
That comment reveals new depths of ignorance.
Why? You must know ground fighting is useless against multiple opponents. So I'll assume you're talking about wrestling a bigger guy:

Unless you're about state champion or something at BJJ, you're going to have a fucking hard time against a guy who's 40 kilo or so bigger than you're.

Not only did I do BJJ briefly, and I felt the difference between smaller and bigger guys. We also do clinching in Muay Thai. The Thai men are mostly half my size. Although their skill dwarfs mine, they'll never throw me. Never. I'm just too big. They can't wrestle me.

But my trainer right now, Ole, he's a former Champion of Thailand. I've never even asked to clinch with him, coz it's just a stupid idea coz I'm 105 kilo and he's about 55 kilo. But in sparring, even with my superior reach, I have trouble hitting him and he can duck in and out of my gaurd like it wasn't even there.

The point is, with striking, the smaller man can still win if he's more skilled. But don't even try to wrestle a larger guy.

Closed Thread