JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

Send a message via AIM to dragonrazor Send a message via MSN to dragonrazor Send a message via Yahoo to dragonrazor
04-25-2007, 04:25 PM

i finally got my stuff back...no, i can't put up pictures, not yet at least

"If we have to dance to the strings of an unseen force, that makes us no better than Zio" Chaz Ashley (not sure japanese name) Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium
(#122 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)
I wuvs Rikku the most! <3

Send a message via MSN to AoshiShinomori
04-27-2007, 02:07 AM

Go DR! *Whoots* We'll be expecting those pics soon though

Here is another post of an interesting kind of sword called the Chokutō... Before we understand chokutō we need to first know a little about the differential tempering technique purely because the chokutō does NOT have such a technique used in its making.

Differential tempering:

This a method used in forging swords and knives to increase the hardness of the edge without making the whole blade brittle. To achieve this, the edge is cooled more rapidly than the spine by adding a heat insulator to the spine before quenching. Clay or another material is used for insulation.

Chokutō

The chokutō is a type of Japanese sword that dates back to pre-Heian times. Chokutō were made in later periods, but usually as temple offering swords. Chokutō were straight and single-edged (sometimes partially double). It is believed that chokutō were imported to Japan from other Asian countries such as China and Korea.

Chokutō was among the earliest in the history of Japanese sword forging. It was created before the differential tempering technology evolved. Chokutō typically come in hira-zukuri and kiriha-zukuri tsukurikomi (blade styles) which make them very distinct from later tachi and katana which rarely use these forms. The main distinctive feature of the chokutō is the blade, which is curved on the katana sword and straight on the chokutō. Its blades are also often confused with shikomizue. Very few examples of chokutō mountings remain and there is little evidence to suggest that they were ever mounted as cane swords.

Chokutō was less effective against other swords which were lighter and had curved blades. This is why the samurai culture turned towards a sword with a curved blade so they could protect their daimyo. Later, several talented swordsmiths learned special techniques to improve the blade of the chokutō sword. They made it more resistant and at the same time kept its original straight shape.

Despite the fact that chokutō is not very useful in battle, many warriors considered it an excellent way to test their skills when struggling against curved blade swords. Its tip is curved and it is delimited by a ridge, which is perpendicular to the blade.

Chokutō have been used in anime and media. One that comes to mind is the Naruto series where the chokuto becomes Sasuke's weapon of choice later on in the series.

Of course gotta have pics ... So here we go!

Pic1: Nicely shown from swordforum...

Pic2: The actual blade (full tang)

Pic3: A completed set

Omae mo kanjite no ka... kaze no koe?

Last edited by AoshiShinomori : 04-27-2007 at 02:10 AM.
(#123 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

Send a message via AIM to dragonrazor Send a message via MSN to dragonrazor Send a message via Yahoo to dragonrazor
04-27-2007, 06:54 PM

i already told you, i have no way to take pictures. besides, i posted product pictures of the blades

"If we have to dance to the strings of an unseen force, that makes us no better than Zio" Chaz Ashley (not sure japanese name) Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium
(#124 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)

04-28-2007, 12:04 AM

I understand DR. I was just saying that when you do have a way to get pics we'll be waiting for them and I hope that time is soon ^_^

(#125 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

04-28-2007, 01:02 AM

bah....i could probably take pics using my webcam, but i'd have to find the install disc, unplug the internet to install it (otherwise it tries to update, which makes it not work) and the light's bad

(#126 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)

04-28-2007, 07:09 PM

Nah... Hang on until you can get a friend to photograph it or you get the police security cam catch you ripping that dung brains ass off ... Don't worry, post it whenever you get a good pic. That should do just fine

(#127 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)

05-04-2007, 11:01 AM

Continuing with the sword series, here is another form of dagger made in Japan. It's called Aikuchi.

Aikuchi

The Aikuchi (literally "fitting mouth") is a form of mounting for Japanese blades in which the handle and the scabbard meet without a guard in between. Originally used on the koshigatana (a precursor to the wakizashi) to facilitate close wearing with armor, it became a fashionable upper-class mounting style for tantō (daggers) in the Edo period. Small aikuchi tanto known as kaiken became popular with the Yakuza, as they were easy to conceal; however, the most typical user of kaiken were women samurai from the Edo period onwards, who kept it as an emergency and/or suicide weapon.

Gotta post pics or people won't believe it ... so here goes:

Just gotta love this hilt:

This is more a fancy engraving. It's called the dragon snake:

Just love this design as well

(#128 (permalink))
Old
SamuraiAlchemistNinja (Offline)
Tired Philosopher...

Send a message via Yahoo to SamuraiAlchemistNinja
05-06-2007, 09:59 PM

*goes and cries* I wish I had that blade. about now almost any blade would do...I have only one right now

I'm pretty content with life right now....For the most part, anyway....Well, at least, I'm pretty sure I am....
(#129 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)

05-08-2007, 10:58 AM

If you don't post a pic you dont have it ... Which one do you have alchemist?

The only thing I have is a plastic star wars lightsaber ... What I wouldn't give to get my very own katana

(#130 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

05-08-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshiShinomori View Post
If you don't post a pic you dont have it ... Which one do you have alchemist?

The only thing I have is a plastic star wars lightsaber ... What I wouldn't give to get my very own katana
you should be able to buy one for about twenty dollars, plus shipping