JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#141 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-20-2007, 05:43 PM

you know the katana has more fans than the others but it was typically held in the samurai's non dominant hand and held out towards the enemy and waved side to side to keep them at a distance but it was the wakizashi that was used in combat typically and was kept with the samurai at all times even when they entered buildings and had to leave their katana on the kake they still took their wakizashi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wakiz.jpg (1.8 KB, 44 views)
(#142 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)
I wuvs Rikku the most! <3

Send a message via MSN to AoshiShinomori
06-20-2007, 05:48 PM

Ooooooooh! I never knew that!

another fact on Katana combat while we're at it is that Katana's had one edge thinner than the other. In fact the slicing edge would be much thinner and therefore more brittle while the blunt edge would be thicker providing support. This being the case, open combat mandated that the Katana never be used head on to block moves. Using the sword edge to block a move was considered poor swordsmanship. The idea in using a katana (and a wakizashi too I guess) was the evade-and-counter move.

There was however one situation in which the Katana could be used to block a head on attack. This move was based on the Katanas curved nature. When facing an attack from above (like a sword slice from above), the katana's convex curve could be used to deflect the attack. The curvature of the blade itself would ensure that the edge did not spoil from such an attack.

Omae mo kanjite no ka... kaze no koe?
(#143 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-20-2007, 05:50 PM

thats tight
(#144 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)

06-20-2007, 05:59 PM

I thought it was a really cool fighting style because it involves so much movement along with actual attacks. Dodging isn't learnt easily after all

(#145 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

Send a message via AIM to dragonrazor Send a message via MSN to dragonrazor Send a message via Yahoo to dragonrazor
06-21-2007, 12:14 PM

whee......i found out something interesting....the world famous style of Miyamoto Musashi is the main basis for the modern style of Kenjutsu, commonly known as the mastery of the katana.

it was practiced using a katana and a kodachi

"If we have to dance to the strings of an unseen force, that makes us no better than Zio" Chaz Ashley (not sure japanese name) Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium
(#146 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
06-26-2007, 05:24 AM

Hyoho Niten ichi-ryu was also made by the legendary musashi minamoto. Its uses two swords.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...
(#147 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

Send a message via AIM to dragonrazor Send a message via MSN to dragonrazor Send a message via Yahoo to dragonrazor
06-26-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokunin View Post
Hyoho Niten ichi-ryu was also made by the legendary musashi minamoto. Its uses two swords.
yes, that's the style i'm talking about...most people assume it was praticed with a pair of katanas, but it was a katana and a kodachi

"If we have to dance to the strings of an unseen force, that makes us no better than Zio" Chaz Ashley (not sure japanese name) Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium
(#148 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
06-27-2007, 09:51 PM

there are none in the states and I REALLY, REALLY want to do it!!!

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...
(#149 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)

01-16-2008, 02:24 AM

It seemed to me that in all the stuff I've learned about the Katana, I still can't get over all the wonderful anime techniques people have come up with over the years. The most notable of all these was from the anime Samurai X. For those of us who don't know, Samurai X is an anime steeped in Japan history and the protagonist is an erstwhile samurai called Kenshin. He was one of the most fearful samurai to exist and was known as Hittokiri Battousai (mankiller Battousai). The story follows his journey through life and how he fights for righteous causes. His swordfighting style is called Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu. Its a "dragon" technique because all the sword moves are based off how a dragon would attack. The technique has many moves and I'm going to try to list the bunch here:

Ryu Tsui Sen (Dragon Mallot flash) - This involves a really HIGH jump into the air and a downward slash. The basic principle was that swordsmen were often prone to aerial attacks.

Ryu Tsui Sen Zan (Finishing Dragon Mallot flash) - Pretty much similar to Ryu Tsui Sen except that instead of a slash it's a poke with the sword facing downward.

Hi Ryu Sen (Flying dragon flash) - This is a move where the swordsman uses his left arm and the centrifugal force of rotation to ram the hilt of his sword into a sensitive spot in the opponent. Pretty effective but no blades

Ryu Kan Sen (Dragon wind upwards slash) - This is a counterattack move. Using incredible speed the swordsman first evades an attack and launches himself with a slash towards the opponents neck.

Ryu Kan Sen Tsumuji (Dragon wind upwards slash hairspin) - This move involves jumping at an oncoming attack and using a tumble/rotation to spin around it while unsheathing the sword at the same time. This way the rotation helps the swordsman avoid the attack while at the same time adding power to the counter slash. Pretty powerful move in the anime. Kenshin uses it just before he realizes that the sword he's been given is actually reverse edged.

Ryu Kan Sen Arashi (Dragon wind upwards flash storm) - A much more powerful version of Ryu kan Sen involving more speed and power and an early launch against the oncoming attack.

Ryu Sou Sen (Double Dragon Slash) - This is a move that involves multiple attacks one after the other toward the enemy giving the enemy very little time to react. It's more effective on enemies who's reactions are inherently slow such as bulky or non-agile opponents. The multiple attacks are actually aimed at vital points to effect maximum damage.

Ryu Sou Sen Garami (Double Dragon Entangling Slash) - This basically involves attacking a single focused point instead of multiple vital points

Ryu Shou Sen (Rising Dragon Slash) - This move involves an upward slash against attacks from above. When combined with the power of the oncoming attack the resulting effect can be catastrophic to the enemy.

Sou Ryu Sen (Paired Dragon Flash) - This move involves unsheathing the sword very fast in a high speed iaijutsu (unsheathing technique). This move however is followed up with a slash by the scabbard (saya). This is basically because with the opening iaijutsu the swordsman is left vulnerable to attack.

Sou Ryu Sen Ikazuchi (Reverse Paired Dragon Flash) - Pretty much the same move as Sou Ryu Sen but in reverse leading with the Saya. The opening attack is with the scabbard at which point the swordsman continues the rotation and unsheathes the sword to complete the second attack at the full rotation.

Dou Ryu Sen (Ground Dragon Flash) - In this move the swordsman pierces the sword into the ground and lashes it upward causing a shockwave and dust to pass along the ground toward the enemy.

Kuzu Ryu Sen (Nine headed dragon flash) - This is one of the two most powerful moves of the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu. It involves the godlike speed of Hiten Mitsurugi to attack all the nine vital points of the body at once. Once launched it is unblockable since all nine vital parts cannot be defended at once.

Ama Kakeru Ryu no Hirameki (Heavens soaring dragon flash) - The most powerful move of the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu. This is a hiougi meaning it is a very secret technique and is not taught to a disciple until the disciple has reached a sacred level of development. It is the only move that can block the Kuzu Ryu Sen. This is a succession technique for the moment the master teaches it to the disciple the master dies in the attempt and the disciple becomes the new master. It is a battoujutsu involving light speed unsheathing of the sword to attack the opponent. In standard unsheathing techniques the foot opposite the scabbard hip is put forward first to ensure that the swordsman does not slice off his foot in the move. In amakakreu however the scabbard foot is put forward first in an attempt to put the swordsman closer to the opponent. This is then followed with a light speed iaijutsu, a rotation and a second slash with the power of a rotation. If the first iaijutsu were to somehowe be avoided the speed of the rotation creates a vortex of vaccum which draws the oppnent into the swordsman's attack circle keeping them ripe for the second slash. In the masters words "Even if the enemy avoids the fangs of the dragon, they will be rendered immobile by the force of it's passing and will be ripped apart by it's claws"

(#150 (permalink))
Old
Kmurry (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Kmurry
01-29-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrazor View Post
yes, that's the style i'm talking about...most people assume it was praticed with a pair of katanas, but it was a katana and a kodachi
What is a Kodachi?