JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

09-03-2007, 11:36 PM

I learned Akido from a book one of my friends gave me for X-mass only once I tried kendo because the classes were free for my school and it was fun but then they started to chrage mony so I stopped going

I'm not racist . . . I hate everyone equally.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
09-04-2007, 12:47 AM

i want to do aikido...but don't have the cash right now...

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...
(#13 (permalink))
Old
RxPhantomWolf12 (Offline)
Silver Shadow King

Send a message via MSN to RxPhantomWolf12
09-04-2007, 01:12 AM

I would love to learn the way of the sword by using kendo.

War is the Answer If You're Questioning the General.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/ManonFire12/?action=view&current=SaruwatariKaitoSig.jpg

Family
Sister(s): SakuranoNamida
Eddie Guerrero (1967-2005)
(#14 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
09-04-2007, 02:21 PM

if its real fightingyour better of with kenjutsu...

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

09-04-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokunin View Post
i want to do aikido...but don't have the cash right now...
You should look at the books for it there only bout ten bucks

I'm not racist . . . I hate everyone equally.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Ochiyo (Offline)
New to JF

10-28-2007, 02:50 PM

What about Iaido? as far as I know it is similar to Kendo, I am really interested in the stuff but don't know much about that...Anyone could help??
(#17 (permalink))
Old
typesblur (Offline)
Designated Distraction

10-29-2007, 07:21 PM

used to do aikido and kendo back when i was living up in northern california. like kendo alot but i prefered judo over aikido. wish i could keep doing martial arts but where i live theres no one that teaches within 20 minutes of my city ><

the heart and soul of my life
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Kaoru3 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 11-05-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochiyo View Post
What about Iaido? as far as I know it is similar to Kendo, I am really interested in the stuff but don't know much about that...Anyone could help??
Hello!

It's not similar to kendo. Iaido is the art of drawing and cutting in one smooth motion and one uses a bokuto or real sword and not a shinai. It is not flashy like anime or Kill Bill. It is all solo kata and depending on the Ryu(style), at the higher levels, there are also paired kata that is no contact only. Beginners start out using a bokuto(wooden sword) and once the teacher feels the student is ready, usually about 3-6 months later, they are allowed to buy an iaito, which is a blunt edge sword. The student should never purchase any sword without the permission of the sensei. This is because each Ryu has different specifications as to sword length and weight, and a lot of other important things. Not only that, some swords are safe to use in class, others are not. Cheap wallhangers and so-called "battle ready" swords are banned from all legit dojos. You will not be allowed to spar in iaido or in kenjutsu. And, bogu(armour) is never worn. It's far too dangerous to spar and even if one did wear bogu you still can't spar since the techniques are killing techniques.

A live(sharp) blade will not be allowed to be used for at least 5 to 6 years, and that is only if the sensei decides the student is qualified and trained enough to safely use one. Some never get the permission to use a live blade. Some dojo allow tameshigiri(Test cutting using rolled up tatami mats that have been soaked in water.), and others forbid it. It depends on the Ryu and it's rules. Koryu(old school arts created before 1868.) are very strict arts.

Kendo means "Way of the Sword(ken - sword, Do - way of)" and uses a bambo shinai only, and we do spar while wearing bogu(armour). You will not spar right away. It takes about 3-6 months to earn bogu and you'd have to show you have good manners, good footwork, and good basics. Etiquette is very important in kendo and in iaido.

There is kendo kata as well. We have 10 paired kata using a bokuto. This is NOT sparring and there is no contact. We do not wear bogu while doing kata. You could kill or maim someone seriously if you tried sparring with or without bogu using the kata. The kata are real techniques. Each kata is from a different kenjutsu ryu.

If you are still interested, please PM me your location and state. I will not give out Koryu Iaido or kenjutsu dojos on this forum publically. They don't want a bunch of Samurai Wannabe's showing up who think they will be the next Kill Bill or Rurouni Kenshin. They want serious people. Kendo I'd post, because it is for anyone who wants to try it. We lose 90 percent of all beginners though because kendo is really hard and people think it's like the last Samurai and it's so not! They often quit as a result. Others decide they hate getting hit once they get into bogu(armour) 3 months later.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell. Hope this helps!

Kaoru3
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Kaoru3 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 11-05-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokunin View Post
if its real fightingyour better of with kenjutsu...
In a real fight, you'd kill or seriously injure someone if you used kenjutsu. You can't use any JSA in a real fight. You don't learn a JSA to use in a fight. You learn one to improve your character. Besides, it's not legal to carry swords around.

Kaoru3
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
11-10-2007, 11:41 PM

wow Kaoru3... that information really explained a lot. I look forward hearing more about these arts from an expert like you...