JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the franchise now?
I love everything about it! They just keep improving! 8 24.24%
I'm pleased that they keep changing things. 8 24.24%
Due to nostalgia, I just can't stop playing them. 5 15.15%
They're okay, nothing I would rush out to buy. 4 12.12%
They milk the franchise too much. 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

01-21-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animelover32 View Post
It's offically...Unfortantly, Final Fantasy XIII won't be hitting the US till 2010. I read it over on GamePro.com if anyone wants to check it out.
It's obvious. Judging from how long it took 'em to make Final Fantasy XII I guessing that Final Fantasy XIII will come out somewhere in the end of 2010 and the beginning of 2011.
(#82 (permalink))
Old
MTH (Offline)
JF Regular

01-22-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
It's obvious. Judging from how long it took 'em to make Final Fantasy XII I guessing that Final Fantasy XIII will come out somewhere in the end of 2010 and the beginning of 2011.
Well yeah that would be when it hits the US/Europe, i read that the release for Japan is scheduled around

Quoted from Gamespot:

Quote:
At this year's Tokyo Game Show, Square Enix debuted a new trailer for Final Fantasy XIII, its highly anticipated role-playing game slated to arrive for both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Aside from the eye candy, Square Enix's trailer also offered the tantalizing promise of a 2009 launch date.

Unfortunately, that promise of a 2009 release apparently applies only to Japan, given that the game isn't going to make it to the US or Europe until the second quarter of 2010 at the very earliest. The news emerged as Square Enix, the game's developer, delivered projections for the remainder of its current fiscal year, which ends March 31
So if you'd really want to play it, you could probably import it from Japan since most(all?) ps3 games are region free (if you have an Xbox360 i'm not sure you can), but you'd have to be able to read/understand japanese to fully enjoy the game...

so yeah pretty long wait for us then, i'm hoping Final Fantasy versus XIII will be released sooner though so i can get my FF fix before 20010/11, I haven't really read/heard anything about that release date yet though, so it might actually be released after FFXIII...

ah well, time will tell

Last edited by MTH : 01-22-2009 at 02:36 PM.
(#83 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

01-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
So if you'd really want to play it, you could probably import it from Japan since most(all?) ps3 games are region free (if you have an Xbox360 i'm not sure you can), but you'd have to be able to read/understand japanese to fully enjoy the game...
I'd say that's a good reason to start learning Japanese.
(#84 (permalink))
Old
animelover32 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to animelover32
01-23-2009, 09:59 PM

I've seriously thought about getting the Japanese verison, I absoultly love the voice overs and now I'm afraid the American ones will suck. I'm worried that XIII is gonna take forever to come out like XII did, hopefully it won't, and hopefully XIII won't be as long. Yeah, XII was fun but it took me forever (6 months in fact) to beat it.
(#85 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

01-23-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animelover32 View Post
I've seriously thought about getting the Japanese verison, I absoultly love the voice overs and now I'm afraid the American ones will suck. I'm worried that XIII is gonna take forever to come out like XII did, hopefully it won't, and hopefully XIII won't be as long. Yeah, XII was fun but it took me forever (6 months in fact) to beat it.
I wanted to do the same thing with FF XII, I was so fed up with waiting for the FF XII to come that I just wanted to get the Japanese version, but I didn't get the chance to. But now, when I think about it, from my experience with playing the Japanese version of Final Fantasy II, I don't think I wouldn't be able to complete FF XII without the help of a walkthrough.
(#86 (permalink))
Old
MTH (Offline)
JF Regular

01-25-2009, 06:02 PM

I just hope they keep the original Japanese audio track in as an option, because the US voice acting is bound to irritate me, if they do that i wouldn't mind having to wait a bit longer, so i can understand what's said (subtitles) but i won't have to listen to the generally bad voice acting, which was the case for most Final Fantasy games.

(#87 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

01-26-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
... but i won't have to listen to the generally bad voice acting, which was the case for most Final Fantasy games.
Would you please give some examples about the Final Fantasy's that had bad voice acting in the U.S versions?
(#88 (permalink))
Old
MTH (Offline)
JF Regular

01-26-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Would you please give some examples about the Final Fantasy's that had bad voice acting in the U.S versions?
Well Tidus in FF-X had very little emotion most of the time and there were parts where i just got out of the story because of some poorly acted weird bit, which is pretty bad for a RPG, don't get me wrong though, there's way worse voice acting out there, but in an RPG i want good voice acting to make the characters seem more "alive" i guess, it's not like the game is unplayable, i just prefer the original and for me personally it kills the story if a characters voice annoys me.

Auron on the other hand had really convincing voice acting which complemented the character's personality.

it could just be my personal tastes ofc, but I really prefer the Japanese voice acting, since i've never been annoyed by Japanese voice acting in a game unlike U.S/Euro voice acting, where in almost every game there's atleast one character whose voice is poorly chosen, or simply annoying.
Mostly because they got a wrong voice actor for the job. (because of the sound of his/her voice) i mean a 14 year old kid who sounds like a 28 year old guy who puts on his best squeeky voice isn't really convincing.

(#89 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

01-26-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Well Tidus in FF-X had very little emotion most of the time and there were parts where i just got out of the story because of some poorly acted weird bit, which is pretty bad for a RPG, don't get me wrong though, there's way worse voice acting out there, but in an RPG i want good voice acting to make the characters seem more "alive" i guess, it's not like the game is unplayable, i just prefer the original and for me personally it kills the story if a characters voice annoys me.

Auron on the other hand had really convincing voice acting which complemented the character's personality.

it could just be my personal tastes ofc, but I really prefer the Japanese voice acting, since i've never been annoyed by Japanese voice acting in a game unlike U.S/Euro voice acting, where in almost every game there's atleast one character whose voice is poorly chosen, or simply annoying.
Mostly because they got a wrong voice actor for the job. (because of the sound of his/her voice) i mean a 14 year old kid who sounds like a 28 year old guy who puts on his best squeeky voice isn't really convincing.
Couldn't agree with you more. I wanted to kill James Arnold Taylor for his bad voice acting in FF X, but despite this one setback, I believe that other voice actors did a wonderful job. Wakka was funny with his accent, Lulu's voice was very mature and quite dark, and others, even the non-playable characters where good (not all of them though).
But I can't say the same thing about the Japanese version. Although Yuna's and Tidus' and Rikku's voice acting was great I didn't like the others, starting from Wakka who had no creativity when speaking, Lulu's voice didn't fit her personality, and Auron talked like he was some bad ass samurai.
But that's just my opinion.
(#90 (permalink))
Old
MTH (Offline)
JF Regular

01-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more. I wanted to kill James Arnold Taylor for his bad voice acting in FF X, but despite this one setback, I believe that other voice actors did a wonderful job. Wakka was funny with his accent, Lulu's voice was very mature and quite dark, and others, even the non-playable characters where good (not all of them though).
But I can't say the same thing about the Japanese version. Although Yuna's and Tidus' and Rikku's voice acting was great I didn't like the others, starting from Wakka who had no creativity when speaking, Lulu's voice didn't fit her personality, and Auron talked like he was some bad ass samurai.
But that's just my opinion.
Hah well i haven't played the Japanese version of FF-X enough myself to actually give my opinion on the voice acting there.

But in general i think the original Japanese voice acting, or actually every original voice acting in games is superior to the translated voice acting in games.

I've never been annoyed by Japanese voice acting though, sure there are some poorly chosen voice actors for certain characters but they mostly don't have incredibly whiney voices with exagurated pronunciation and accents, which i come across quite often in translated games, but even more so in dubbed anime, or maybe i just don't notice it as much in games with the original Japanese audio since i'm not from Japan or Japanese, and i don't speak it.
I'm sure if i lived in Japan i would prefer the original audio in games from U.S/Euro developers, not the translated Japanese audio.

Voice acting is just hard to do right i guess, but to me it's a really important part of a game, especialy in a RPG it can really ruin or, when done right, greatly enhance the game experience.

Last edited by MTH : 01-27-2009 at 01:15 PM.