JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Nintendo Wii Set To Fail?
No Way! I love my Wii! Its The Only Console I Use! 9 13.04%
I Bought One, Still Play It As Often As Other Consoles 10 14.49%
I Bought a Wii, Its Been Collecting Dust For Months 10 14.49%
Never Bought A Wii 40 57.97%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Nintendo WII Failing? - 03-08-2009, 12:10 AM

Is the WII going the way of the Gamecube?

I went to my big bros this weekend and we played Mario Kart Wii together for the first time since.. before christmas? Turns out the last time either of us played Wii at all was the last time we played Mario Kart.. Looking over at mine now, its collecting a fair amount of dust, Probably isnt going to get used now either what with Street Fighter 4 on PS3..

The Wii didn't get too much of a good reception here in England. Yeah it was fun for the first few tennis matches and the casuals all bought one.. but have they used it recently? I doubt it.

Its set itself up to go the way of the Gamecube.. too busy w*nking off its old characters putting them into daft sports games to think about pleasing its true market.. I dunno.

Anyways, I wanna know what you think. Hows the Wii doing in your country?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-08-2009, 12:24 AM

Odd. I was looking at an Escapist forum thread with a very similar theme to this one, then I decided to play with the DS for a bit.

In my experience, it's a source of amusement to see housewives coming into the local EB Games all asking for one thing: Wii Fit.

So, compared to the way that PS3 and XBox 360 market themselves, the Wii is failing. But as long as the Wii markets itself as a casual/party-type console the whole family can use, it'll have success. Whether that success is enough to last it for years is anyone's guess.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tangram (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Tangram
03-08-2009, 12:25 AM

I use my Wii regularly. Pretty much all I play is Harvest Moon, Mario Kart, and Super Mario Galaxy, but I get a lot of playtime out of it. Compared to my 360 - which I own and rent a lot of games for, but I simply don't play them as much.

Here in the US, I think the Wii is still going well. I know a ton of people that love theirs, play it every day. Same with the DS. Obviously if you're only into hardcore games, the Wii doesn't hold a whole lot for you. But most everyone likes to wind down with a good Mario party game. The fact is, the real gaming market is a shrinking niche. Will it ever totally die away? Of course not! But I think Nintendo realized that marketing yourself to such a small niche that is the gaming community wasn't the only way to do things. Look at how much more money Nintendo's gotten this generation!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

03-08-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Odd. I was looking at an Escapist forum thread with a very similar theme to this one, then I decided to play with the DS for a bit.
Escapist? Like Zero Punctuation?! Link me!

What a coincidence! I've not really used the wii since smash bros. played that for a few weeks and then.. just.. stopped. now its caked in dust.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

03-08-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
I think Nintendo realized that marketing yourself to such a small niche that is the gaming community wasn't the only way to do things. Look at how much more money Nintendo's gotten this generation!
Also, look how many crap games they have compared to good ones.. does mario galaxy really compensate for the rubbish thats on the Wii, with all the extra *waggle* they literally FORCE into the controls of decent games?

(#6 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-08-2009, 12:38 AM

Do people have particularly dusty houses nowadays or something? I quite like the wii but I don't see it directly competing with the xbox 360 or playstation 3 because it is aimed at many different markets. And I (unfortunately) live in england and the wii is selling very well here. I see why people would rather have other consoles though depending on taste, I probably play my xbox 360 a little more but that's maybe because it's in my room and the wii isn't (it's my brothers). Although I don't play too many games excpet DS ones.

PS. The Wii has already outsold the gamecube.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-08-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Escapist? Like Zero Punctuation?! Link me!
And here ya go: The Escapist : Forums : Gaming Discussion : Poll: Is the Wii going down the same slope as the Gamecube?

I didn't read much of it as it's been a decade or two since I've been a TV-connected console player, but there seems to be some good points raised.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

03-08-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
Do people have particularly dusty houses nowadays or something?
A brit who's not heard the term "collecting dust"?

Quote:
I quite like the wii but I don't see it directly competing with the xbox 360 or playstation 3 because it is aimed at many different markets.
I'm not saying about it competing, I'm asking if you think its going to flop alltogether. Saturn/Dreamcast Style.

Quote:
And I (unfortunately) live in england and the wii is selling very well here. I see why people would rather have other consoles though depending on taste
As apposed to living where? ooo let me guess..

No its not? I've seen loads in the window of Gamestation.. People buy them, play tennis, get bored and get shut. Like Koir said, its for Wii fit only these days..

I don't go by consoles, if theres a good game coming out, ill buy the console nessessary to play that game, regardless of that game. Like i got a gameboy just so i could play pokemon red. I got a PS3 for SF4 simply because i prefered the controller.

I got a wii for the sports but that got really old really fast. Ya know what I use it for now? a paper weight for any scrap that I use for kanji practise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
I didn't read much of it as it's been a decade or two since I've been a TV-connected console player, but there seems to be some good points raised.
Bloody hell.. They sound JUST like me! I think I'm in love lol.

I agree with them though, espesh about the piles of third party accessories.

If nintendo don't do something drastic, their fans may be digging out the origional games rather than watching Mario fap in their face playing tennis, (a game that came free, but you can now pay for to play again with mario instead of a Mii) to retro Mario Bros music or whatever.

and.. whilst on the topic, why has 2008/09 been the remakes year?
(im guessing the above statement will need its own thread..)

(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-08-2009, 01:31 AM

The wii is massively popular. Of course, every system will become obsolete, but in terms of sales, it has PS3 destroyed and after launching over 2 years ago, they are still hard to find. EVERY system has total fail games, but Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Zelda, Smash Bros are already classics. I wouldn't pull the plug on it yet.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Pexster (Offline)
j'adore le baise tu

03-08-2009, 02:33 AM

Ha yeah that is true.

A Dream Of Form In Days Of Thought

www.mydramalist.com

Eiri is my Property, Bitches.