JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Yomuri (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Yomuri Send a message via MSN to Yomuri
07-17-2009, 05:48 PM

I can't wait for XIII, and XIV, which is going to be another mmorpg, just like XI if you didn't know. I loved XI, but I gotta say my favorite Final Fantasy has to be IV, don't know why, but it just struck a note with me

"The artist who seeks perfection in everything, are those who cannot attain it in anything."
Eugene Delacroix
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Danzo (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2009, 06:44 PM

Final Fantasy X is my favorite FF so far. As for FFXII, I thought it was very interesting. I like the story, and the larger environments. As for FFXIII and XIV, I can't wait. They'll be great.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

07-26-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post
Thank you. Time and time again people go fanatical over FFVII while completely overlooking some of the other brilliant games in the FF series (like FFIV and FFVI). FFVI is my personal favourite and I am really hoping this gets a decent remake, hopefully on the PSP. No other characters have been as lovable as the maniacal Kefka (woopoopoop!) and the comic relief Ultros.
This is so true. FFVI is just amazing. The story is great.

People are just blinded by Sephiroth. The mother's boy.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

07-26-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
The characters seem more cultured and refined than say FFVIII's. Vaan, while I'll admit he was underdeveloped, like Fran and Penelo, at least wasn't an emo like Squall.

It is easy to say that XII had more refined characters then VIII. VIII had no audio, it's up to you to decide how the characters are interacting with each other by what text reads. X and XII have voice overs, so you can feel the emotion much easier. You don't have to fill in all the little details yourself.
In that sense, you can say that Tidus had more personality then Cloud. Though I do like Tidus in combat, and I enjoy his character design, he is definitely one track minded. (I don't want to go off topic here, but you can say he has more personality then anyone from 7-9.)

Could you please explain how you see Squall as an emo? He doesn't want to let people in on his life and chooses to isolate himself. An emo wants people to feel sorry for them and console then. Squall wants to be left alone, to not be bothered. Emos want attention but don't admit it. This isn't like Squall at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

Nah, it was. Had no... substance to it.

How about you provide a more decent response then saying it has no substance? If you think it sucks period, I am sure you can give more of a reason then that.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

07-27-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post

How about you provide a more decent response then saying it has no substance? If you think it sucks period, I am sure you can give more of a reason then that.
It's really hard to explain it.

After you play I - X, the story of XII just seems so... transparent. It's hard to go into detail, and it's just a feeling about the game.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

07-27-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

It's really hard to explain it.

After you play I - X, the story of XII just seems so... transparent. It's hard to go into detail, and it's just a feeling about the game.

Ok then. I was never able to play the fist VI, but I'll take your word for it. (Though I have recently played a bit of FFI on the PSP, not sure if it's different.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
Also, I don't think Tidus has more personality than Cloud, he's just more emotional while Cloud is cold, enigmatic and a bit antihero..

I don't think so either. I was giving an example.

Aniki said Vaan had more personality then Squall. I had said maybe he thinks this because Vaan has a voice over, while Squall does not. Perhaps it is easier to say one has more character then the other, because you can hear ones voice, while the others voice you have to input yourself.

XII is a lot shorter then VIII, and Squall has A LOT more dialogue then Vaan. We get to be one on one with Squall, and see his personal private thoughts.

Vaan doesn't talk too much, and when he does, he's asking a lot of questions, not too much personal information is revealed from him, other then his talks about Rex, and Penelo.

Now in older RPG games that do not have voices, the music of the moment can help to emphasis what the person is thinking, and help to shine a light on how the emotions of the scene is intended to be viewed.

In that context, I was stating that perhaps he may also view Tidus with more personality then Cloud, because Tidus has a voice, and Cloud doesn't.

It requires a level of imagination to appreciate a non-voiced game. Though I am not saying here that Aniki does not have an imagination. I'm just speculating.

Last edited by Kanji_The_Wanderer : 07-27-2009 at 03:24 AM.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Reavyn (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2009, 04:17 AM

I'm looking forward to XIII. I've only had a chance to play VI through X so far. I'd have to say that my favorite by far is VIII. And I think that IX is so very underrated. I couldn't really get into X, I need to go back and try it again. VII was by far my least favorite. Sephiroth just didn't seem that interesting to me. That and Cloud was more interested in being with Sephiroth than either of the girls that wanted him. I never understood everyone's fascination with Aeris either. Tifa was about the only character in the game that I cared for. I personally think that the only reason it is so popular is because it was the first one a lot of people played or the fact that it was the first one with CG cut scenes. I much preferred Squalls story, and really...it was easier to care about all the characters in VIII. The story over all just seemed a lot more in depth than VII. I really wish they would hurry and redo VI cause I have not heard a single bad thing about it.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:

X and XII have voice overs, so you can feel the emotion much easier.
Speaking of voice overs in X, did anyone else find it annoying that no one would ever refer directly to Tidus in speech because the developers made Tidus' name a variable? "The son of Jecht", "that guy", "him"....
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-27-2009, 07:35 AM

I didn't even have the enthusiasm to finish FFXII, but I played FFX about 30 times or something...

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

07-27-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:

It is easy to say that XII had more refined characters then VIII. VIII had no audio, it's up to you to decide how the characters are interacting with each other by what text reads. X and XII have voice overs, so you can feel the emotion much easier. You don't have to fill in all the little details yourself.
In that sense, you can say that Tidus had more personality then Cloud. Though I do like Tidus in combat, and I enjoy his character design, he is definitely one track minded. (I don't want to go off topic here, but you can say he has more personality then anyone from 7-9.)
Voice over has got nothing to do with character development, the story itself and their conection to it, and the dialogs is what develops them. Recently the FF IV remake came out for the DS with voice over, but that didn't change their personalities. You don't need a voice over to understand characters emotions, it's the dialogs that count. If you see a character waving his hands a "!" in the end of a sentence, you con't need to ponder just to realize that he's shouting, thus I dissagree with your opinion that Tidus has more personality then anyone prior to FF X. Yes, voice overs make the characters more lively, but not that much where they has more personality than previous ones. If I were to agree with that, then it be the same as saying that Kimahri has more personality then... lets say, Barret or anyone else, just because he has a voice over.

PS: This thread was derailed from the begining, I see no point why we should stop, not to mention there isn't much to talk about FF XIII anyway.

Quote:
Could you please explain how you see Squall as an emo? He doesn't want to let people in on his life and chooses to isolate himself. An emo wants people to feel sorry for them and console then. Squall wants to be left alone, to not be bothered. Emos want attention but don't admit it. This isn't like Squall at all.
Maybe calling him an emo was wrong, but that's how he looks to me. I didn't like Squall was because he shunned everyone away with his annoying "loner" behaviour, which is lame. Through the game all the characters show affection to him, wanting to be friends or more, but you got to put with this "I don't let people in because I'm afraid to get hurt" crap, until the end when he finally realizes he loves Rinoa and when that's done it's time to save the world. From each FF series you get a main character who's not only looks, but also personality differs from the last one. While Squall was more like a genetically-altered clone of Cloud.
The reason why I compared Vaan and Squall was because of their same ages and they have similar pasts. Vaan is also an orphan who lost his family (including his brother later), but you don't see him whining. The flashbacks show how difficult it was for him while visiting his brother in a hospital, and that even afterwords these memories still haunt him, but still he moves on to persue his dream to become a sky pirate. And from the beginning you see how much he trusts and cares about people surrounding him, Kytes, Migelo, and especially Penelo - his new family. Squall practically needed to be slapped into sense, like when Irvine told him to rescue Rinoa.

Quote:

Ok then. I was never able to play the fist VI, but I'll take your word for it. (Though I have recently played a bit of FFI on the PSP, not sure if it's different.)
FF VI is nothing like FF. It's has a deep story in it, involving many different characters (who have interesting subplots), espers, and the most badass villain in all FF franchise. While FF only revolves around 4 warriors of light with no back stories who must save the world from chaos. I see no point in comparing the two more thoroughly, since we're talking FF here - the first of the franchise. What am I trying to say here, if you think that FFVI doesn't differ from FF, then you're completly wrong.