JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-29-2008, 11:57 PM

By switching, I didn't think that the ALT had much of a choice in the matter, just like placement. I thought that maybe the ALT would get assigned to another school if contracted for another year, that type of thing.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-30-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
By switching, I didn't think that the ALT had much of a choice in the matter, just like placement. I thought that maybe the ALT would get assigned to another school if contracted for another year, that type of thing.
No, on JET, once you receive a placement, you remain there barring extraordinary circumstances. If the school decides they don't want you another year, chances are they'll just send you home, not shift you to another school. And I've never heard of a JET being moved to a different placement against their will. Some private companies do that though.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#53 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-30-2008, 01:28 AM

should be getting my result in the next two weeks if they keep their word on early april, so far they have been ahead of schedule in australia so hopefully not too much longer to wait. anything less than acceptance (rejection or alternate) and i will be booking my flights and getting my working holiday visa and back to Japan in May.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-30-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
should be getting my result in the next two weeks if they keep their word on early april, so far they have been ahead of schedule in australia so hopefully not too much longer to wait. anything less than acceptance (rejection or alternate) and i will be booking my flights and getting my working holiday visa and back to Japan in May.
Well, in my experience, many (most?) alternates end up going. In fact, I've known quite a few JETs who were selected as alternates at first and ended up going, and I've only ever met 1 person who was chosen as an alternate and didn't go. Some year (1998, for example) every single alternate ends up going.

So if you're rejected, go ahead and find some other way. If you're an alternate, don't give up hope, you still have a decent chance of going...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#55 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-30-2008, 08:23 AM

thanks but actually i'm well aware of that samurai007. I've read the same thing in many places. the thing is i actually LEFT japan to apply for JET, as crazy at that may seem. I have been sitting around on my arse for 7 months doing almost nothing except for a month surfing trip and part time work in family business, i'm not needed full time.

If I am upgraded while I am in Japan then I will organise it from there, medical forms etc and make my way to Tokyo (as i would be in Kansai region) for the training.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-30-2008, 03:25 PM

The only disadvantage of being an alternate, imo, is that you can't prepare in advanced like say a person who has been shortlisted. If the person has a full-time job, he or she can give a two-week notice and have more time to get stuff needed for the trip. Can't say that for an alternate who might find out as close like a week beforehand that he/she is being moved up to being shortlisted.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-01-2008, 05:47 AM

anrakushi, whereabouts in Australia are you from?

Being an alternate would be a pain... as it is with the JET process your life and long term plans kind of have to hang in the balance for more than half a year; extending that even further and leaving you less time to deal with leaving if you do would really suck. Better than being rejected straight out though, if you're in a position to wait to be possibly upgraded.

Thinking about what I'd have to leave behind keeps making me want to change my mind... at least I have a crazy long time to think about it

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#58 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

04-01-2008, 06:04 AM

I live in a small town outside of the melbourne metropolitan area. I guess you could say im in the country, but it is about 50-55km from melb.

I didn't find in my year living in Japan that leaving things behind was hard, I was only sad that my dog deteriorated in health due to cancer and i couldn't be there to help make the last months of his life happy. With communications the way they are these days, I actually talked to my family more while in Japan than I do when I'm here thanks to ichat and skype I could see them also.

The melbourne consulate has the list today, of course i couldn't get the result before everyone else. the letters are getting sent out this week, possibly it was done today. that all depends how much work it involved. Will know my result soon. At this point I just want a result so i can plan my next step. This time, as many JET hopefuls are saying on other forums, is the hardest time of the whole waiting time until now.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-01-2008, 06:33 AM

Ah cool, I like Melbourne. I'm a Perthie

I think I'm worried about leaving my boyfriend (going for the long distance relationship thing) and career more than anything, but I'm confident enough about my ability to keep both going well enough to have some peace of mind.

The wait does sound terribly nerve wracking. Hope you get a positive answer.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#60 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

04-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Before considering applying, I was worried about my bf too, but we broke up, so he's no longer an issue. If I'd gotten in, and we were still together, I would've felt guilty leaving him behind.

I do keep thinking about what I'd leave though and have second thoughts. Mostly, doubts in myself. "Could I really get by?" is the main thing I keep asking myself, since my Japanese is so awful. I wish I could pick it up as fast as some other people. I must be getting old.

Anywho, anrakushi good luck to you! I hope you get your letter soon saying you got in. ^_^