LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-25-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
So that's how it works. Thanks a lot. Now how does Income Tax work? I still don't understand that much.
Simple, you don't pay any income taxes in either Japan or the US. You'll still need to file, and pay for any income earned back in the US before you left for Japan, but as a government employee in Japan, you don't pay taxes in Japan. And if you are out of the US at least 330 days out of the year, you don't pay taxes in the US on money earned overseas. (States may have different laws, though... you may need to pay something to the state, depending upon where you're from).

Don't worry, all of that is gone over if you're accepted as an ALT (along with a ton of other stuff... they really help you out and get you adjusted as a JET, and provide a full support network, unlike private teaching jobs). Also, if you end up working for a private company rather than the Japanese government as a JET, you may need to pay taxes on that in Japan, but I don't know how that works.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#32 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-26-2008, 02:25 PM

What? I don't know where you were or what it was like back in the day, but JET's definitely pay income tax and pension fees. The pension you receive back when you leave Japan. It is around 40k yen out of your pay compared to the income tax I have to pay (10k) which I can receive most of it back. I have to fill out forms just like the JET's, but it is fairly easy. The exemption for US income tax is for people earning up to 60k USD a year. After that, you have to pay. You will still file, whether over or under 60k USD.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-26-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
EDIT: Quick question - would a JLPT3 increase chances of getting a job as a private ALT (as opposed to a self assessment or Australian course qualifications), or is it too low level to really matter? Just wondering if I should bother aiming for it or wait until I'm up to level 2 to do the proper test.
Not only will a level 3 cert increase your chances, it should (non-JET) increase your income to the tune of 10,000 yen a month. As a matter of fact, it is written into my contract. To be quite blunt, if you have a level 2 and you're teaching English, you're wasting your time and talent.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-26-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Since I had studied Japanese, part of interview was in Japanese. Since I put literature down as one of my hobbies I was asked, in Japanese, to compare the plusses and minuses of Japanese literature with the plusses and minuses of American literature. That was more than a little nerve-wracking.
Do you know what Interac asks of their potential hires? They have you do the standard interview, followed by a personality test, and then you make a five minute video introducing yourself in Japanese if you can and demo lesson. Five minutes to demo a fifty minute lesson without any idea of what level or grade you should be targeting. Then they take the video and show it to prospective schools. A video and personality test are a little bit overboard in my opinion for an ALT position. Seriously, talk about a complete waste of time when I can get hired for the same pay simply based on a resume and 10 minute phone call.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-26-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
What? I don't know where you were or what it was like back in the day, but JET's definitely pay income tax and pension fees. The pension you receive back when you leave Japan. It is around 40k yen out of your pay compared to the income tax I have to pay (10k) which I can receive most of it back. I have to fill out forms just like the JET's, but it is fairly easy. The exemption for US income tax is for people earning up to 60k USD a year. After that, you have to pay. You will still file, whether over or under 60k USD.
You do have to pay pension fees, but you can recover them. You can get 80% back on your own, and you are allowed to will the remaining 20% to a Japanese national. Most JETS (including myself) do this with a trusted Japanese friend or colleague, and they in turn pay you that amount.

But JETs (depending upon your country of origin) either pay no income tax, or your salary is automatically increased enough to pay the taxes, such that everyone gets 3.6 million yen per year. I paid no Japanese income tax. And since 3.6 million yen is much lower than $60,000 US, you don't pay federal income tax in the US so long as you are out of the country at least 330 days. But you do still have to file and state that you are exempt, you can't just not submit anything.

The JET Programme - Aspiring JETs - Application FAQ
Quote:
10.6 Do JETs have to pay taxes in Japan?
Your tax status in Japan depends largely on your nationality, the length of your stay and your occupation in Japan. If you do not qualify for exemption from income and or inhabitant taxes in Japan, the terms and conditions of employment on the JET Programme allow for a higher gross salary to cover Japanese tax payments. For more information please consult with your Contracting Organisation and see the General Information Handbook (p.95.)

10.7 Do JETs have to pay taxes in their home country?
Tax liability for your Japanese income is determined by the tax treaty between Japan and your home country. For more information please see the General Information Handbook (p.97) and contact the tax authority in your country of citizenship.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#36 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-27-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Not only will a level 3 cert increase your chances, it should (non-JET) increase your income to the tune of 10,000 yen a month. As a matter of fact, it is written into my contract. To be quite blunt, if you have a level 2 and you're teaching English, you're wasting your time and talent.
Nice, sounds like it's certainly worth that 50 bucks then =P I'd read somewhere that the level 4 and 3 were a bit useless and not worth doing, but I guess to become an English teacher it might be enough. I've only been studying a year though, just planning to take level 3 at the end of this year, since my course will be roughly at that level by then. Thanks!

I keep hearing bad stories about Interac =/ Doesn't sound very appealing.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#37 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-27-2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
You know, some people actually enjoy teaching English, and find it a rewarding career.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-27-2008, 12:41 PM

I think I would if I were at a university teaching writing. There are only so many times I can do bingo, karuta and hangman, and I think the limit was reached and breached quite a while ago.

ps~Thank you 2x 0, I didn't know that was the case.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 01-27-2008 at 12:44 PM.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-17-2008, 01:29 AM

I know it's been a long time, but something just came to mind for me. How do references work here? How do you know who to choose to write you a reference letter? I know I read someplace that it's best to use an academic reference or some kind of a teacher who knows you. What other types of people would work as an acceptable reference? Classmates? Coworkers?
(#40 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-17-2008, 01:46 AM

I've heard that if you'll be graduating just before going to JET you need at least one of the references to be from a lecturer. Other than that I guess you just choose people who can attest to your professional attitude/interest in Japan/teaching ability etc. and who have some kind of authority - I vaguely remember reading something about having to have it printed on a letterhead from the business/education institution? I think even if you can use references from classmates or coworkers, their opinion will possibly carry less weight in terms of a professional or academic reference.

I plan to ask my kung fu teacher (for culture, teaching experience, international experience and because I think he'll let me write it for myself anyway >_>) and my Japanese teacher or boss, both of whom are very nice and may be inclined to write something nice about me.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts