LinkBack Thread Tools
(#131 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-27-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
I thought of that, but wouldn't that be under the 'contribution' part of the question? Although I suppose it's listed as a suggestion rather than a question, so doesn't need to have each part specifically addressed like an English class essay.
Remember, no one cares about what you want to get out of the program. Keep telling yourself that.
Westerners like to talk about their dreams of the future and what jobs they will pursue after they finish. Forget it. Japanese interviewers hear that and think "self-indulgent dreamer".

If you want to be "different" be exactly what the interviewers are looking for: Flexible, strong people who aren't going to quit in three months and who want to help teach Japan's students English and can work in work in a Japanese school/office environment without stirring up trouble.
(#132 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Remember the people that read the SoPs and that are hiring you are not interested in how YOU will become a better more well-rounded person by the JET Program. You are being hired to make Japanese children more global citizens. You are not an ambassador, but a tool. Westerner tend to focus on the "me" (especially in Japanese eyes), so I wouldn't even mention what you want to get out of it, rather write what you want to put into it.
While you're right about not making it all about yourself, and an application should definitely mention how you plan to teach the kids, get them interested in English, etc, the people reading the applications are not gullible enough to believe that you ONLY want to go to Japan to improve the kids' English. They know that you've applied because you want to go to Japan too, and IMO there's nothing wrong with succinctly mentioning why you want to go, what you want to do there, and why you are interested in Japan. I mentioned it briefly, and I got into JET, so doing so isn't the kiss of death. Just be sure not to go on too long about it. I think such honesty is not only a good thing, it shows your interest in Japan.

Second, I'd say you actually are a local level ambassador on JET. Again, you shouldn't get carried away with self-importance about it, but mentioning that you also want to set a good example as a local level ambassador from your country with the students and townsfolk where you'll be living, and what you might have to both teach and learn from them (it's not all 1 way...) might be something to include in the essay. Remember that 2/3 of the Japanese govt agencies involved in CLAIR have to do with international relations, and only 1 with English education...

Just my 2 yen though...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#133 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-27-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
@SSJup81: Be a bit careful with those - at least one of them looks like it wasn't successful, and though I'll probably be eating my words when I have to write my own, some of them seem really... boring? But even seeing examples that aren't all shining examples is still useful.

I think having a strong, different opening statement is important to set you apart from the rest right away... that's what I always used to do in highschool essays anyway. Damn it's been so long since I've had to write anything like this!
By helpful, it's given me an idea as to what types of things to include and what not, for the most part. Mostly, it's given me more of an idea as to what type of opening I should use. I still don't know what I want to write exactly yet, but it's giving me ideas.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-27-2008 at 07:19 AM.
(#134 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2008, 07:41 AM

Definitely food for thought, thanks guys I suppose a strong interest in Japan and hoping to learn more of the language and culture is one of those 'good' answers to the 'what do you want to get out of this question', as opposed to career aspirations or having an extended holiday in Japan. It's certainly true in my case so that makes things fairly easy!

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#135 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-27-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
While you're right about not making it all about yourself, and an application should definitely mention how you plan to teach the kids, get them interested in English, etc, the people reading the applications are not gullible enough to believe that you ONLY want to go to Japan to improve the kids' English. They know that you've applied because you want to go to Japan too, and IMO there's nothing wrong with succinctly mentioning why you want to go, what you want to do there, and why you are interested in Japan. I mentioned it briefly, and I got into JET, so doing so isn't the kiss of death. Just be sure not to go on too long about it. I think such honesty is not only a good thing, it shows your interest in Japan.

Second, I'd say you actually are a local level ambassador on JET. Again, you shouldn't get carried away with self-importance about it, but mentioning that you also want to set a good example as a local level ambassador from your country with the students and townsfolk where you'll be living, and what you might have to both teach and learn from them (it's not all 1 way...) might be something to include in the essay. Remember that 2/3 of the Japanese govt agencies involved in CLAIR have to do with international relations, and only 1 with English education...

Just my 2 yen though...
I never said it was the kiss of death. EVERYONE does it, so it can't be. My point is focus less on what you are going to get out of it (which is, of course all everyone is thinking) and more on what you are going to put into it. I know people that basically thought they were applying for a vacation before real life started. That kind of honesty kept them firmly planted in America.
(#136 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-27-2008, 07:08 PM

samurai007, MMM, do you guys think you could help us by looking over our SoPs when done if you guys aren't busy?
(#137 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
samurai007, MMM, do you guys think you could help us by looking over our SoPs when done if you guys aren't busy?
I can't promise anything, but will try. I would not pretend to be an expert on the system beyond the fact that I went through it.
(#138 (permalink))
Old
taintus (Offline)
New to JF

Rural JET placement - 08-28-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
It does seem to be the key and I'm ready to adapt! I'm also anxious to observe the Japanese education system firsthand.

Also, on the flexibility thing, that's one of the things I've noticed from others, especially with the school and placement situation since there's no guarantee, if you're accepted, that you're going to get your first choice, or any choices for the matter.

Places I want to put down (placements) are:

Toubetsu-cho, Ishikari-shicho, Hokkaido
Miyagi-ken (Sendai particularly sounds nice, minus the rainy season stuff)
Akita-ken
Tochigi-ken
Saitama-ken (only because it's my sister city)

I'm leaning most towards putting down Ishikari, Tochigi, and Saitama. I might change my mind, but Ishikari is my first choice.

Oh, I've been asking this for a while. What are the key differences from rural, urban, and suburban settings in Japan? Is it similar to how the US is? You know, rural being pretty much the middle of nowhere, urban being the city, and suburban being...a place where you more than likely need a car...

I already know you have no say what-so-ever with the schools you're placed in. I just hope that if I do manage to get in, that it's a nice school with eager students. ^^;
Definitely think hard about where you want to be placed if it's a rural area--most likely you will get your top pick because most people put down (surprise surprise) Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto.

I put Nagano as my second choice (after Kyoto) and was placed there. I was living (and still am) in the COUNTRYside. I really love it--some people might not, but. . . If your goal is to learn Japanese, living in the countryside is better in my opinion. Much less distraction and more opportunities to interact with local people.

Often you will need a car in rural areas. But that's cool too because second-hand cars are cheap and it's nice having your own ride.

Also, class sizes are much smaller in the countryside, and the kids are better behaved (perhaps).

Check out my blog, In the Pines, about life in the countryside for a better idea of what it's like.

All in all I highly recommend working in the countryside--you'll be making enough you can go to the city for some wild nights once and a while. Of course I had plenty of wild nights out in the woods too!
(#139 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Maybe just post it online for general comments? Thing is, we don't necessarily know everything right to say. We have a little knowledge, from knowing our own SoP and interviews (though mine was over 12 years ago now so I've forgotten most of the details). And maybe we've talked with a few other JETs and found common themes or ideas.

But when you are either accepted or rejected, no one tells you WHY that decision was made. Did the comments about why you wanted to go to Japan help you, hurt you, or were neutral? Was the writing style you used too formal, too casual, or just right? What were they looking for that your essay either had or did not have? We can't say because we don't know. There will be different people reading your essay than read mine, and some things they may be looking for might have changed in the 12 years since I was on the program. So just keep that in mind...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#140 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2008, 03:36 AM

Just be sincere.