JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-26-2008, 01:33 AM

I've become a bit of a wino myself, it's a pity Japan isn't really known for its wine!

I doubt anyone will be too concerned about a girl of any size not really into drinking. The peer pressure would be a bit harder to deal with as a guy I think, but as long as you can stand your ground and keep above the pissing contest I'm sure it's possible to get through JET without destroying your liver XD

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#122 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-26-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
I've become a bit of a wino myself, it's a pity Japan isn't really known for its wine!

I doubt anyone will be too concerned about a girl of any size not really into drinking. The peer pressure would be a bit harder to deal with as a guy I think, but as long as you can stand your ground and keep above the pissing contest I'm sure it's possible to get through JET without destroying your liver XD
The prefecture I lived in was famous for its ume (Japanese plum) wine...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#123 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-26-2008, 02:19 AM

Ooh that's right, forgot about the plum wine, I love that stuff! Wouldn't mind living in a prefecture famous for that rather than beer... although I doubt choosing a prefecture based on the local alcohol is a thought that would be appreciated by the interviewers XD

Have you thought about doing JET for a second time, samurai007? It sounds like it made quite an impression on you.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
(#124 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-26-2008, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Ooh that's right, forgot about the plum wine, I love that stuff! Wouldn't mind living in a prefecture famous for that rather than beer... although I doubt choosing a prefecture based on the local alcohol is a thought that would be appreciated by the interviewers XD

Have you thought about doing JET for a second time, samurai007? It sounds like it made quite an impression on you.
It really did... it changed my life. And I really miss Japan and would like to see it again, so I have thought about it.

However, right now, I just can't do it. My mom passed away 2 years ago, and my dad had a stroke several months ago, so I need to stay here, keep him company, help him out with things, etc. Also, my own health is no longer as good as it once was when I was in Japan, so I couldn't do some of the things I used to over there (and I couldn't tolerate the heat and cold as much anymore). I now have 2 nephews that I'd like to see as they are growing up, and while I have no time right now as I spend 6 nights a week at my dad's place, I'd like to find a wife, settle down, and start a family of my own. (Japan would be a great place for a honeymoon though...)

Teaching in Japan taught me a great deal as well, but I don't feel as if there are a ton of things left there for me to do, see, and learn. I traveled all across the country, went on 6 homestays, stayed in everything from temples to hostels, ryokans to business hotels to beach resorts. I went to museums and castles, dozens and dozens of temples, stood in skyscrapers in Tokyo and bathed in a 2000 year old onsen in Matsuyama, hiked the Japan Alps and spent all night barhopping in Osaka. I don't feel an overwhelming need to live there again, though a visit would be great. I do miss a lot of things, and I'm grateful for my time there, but I don't think I'll be signing up for JET again.

I hope I've explained it well enough... maybe this Japanese saying will help get the point across: "A wise man climbs Mt. Fuji once, but only a fool does it twice" I don't think it'd be foolish to go to Japan again, but I've had the experience... it was great, I have many fond memories, I hope many other people try it as well, but for a variety of reasons I'm not ready to do it again.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#125 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-27-2008, 03:36 AM

I was on ITIL and came across this...

The JET Programme in Japan - Statement of Purpose Essay samples

It has a lot of SoP examples, so maybe that'll be helpful. It's definitely helping me out a lot.
(#126 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2008, 04:58 AM

@Samurai007: I can definitely see what you mean - having the luxury of doing something like this twice in a lifetime is something I doubt many people would have, and even so going back to the same place wouldn't be for everybody. After doing JET (if I get in) I'll probably be buckling down to things like having a family and starting a business too.

@SSJup81: Be a bit careful with those - at least one of them looks like it wasn't successful, and though I'll probably be eating my words when I have to write my own, some of them seem really... boring? But even seeing examples that aren't all shining examples is still useful.

I think having a strong, different opening statement is important to set you apart from the rest right away... that's what I always used to do in highschool essays anyway. Damn it's been so long since I've had to write anything like this!

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
(#127 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-27-2008, 05:05 AM

Remember the people that read the SoPs and that are hiring you are not interested in how YOU will become a better more well-rounded person by the JET Program. You are being hired to make Japanese children more global citizens. You are not an ambassador, but a tool. Westerner tend to focus on the "me" (especially in Japanese eyes), so I wouldn't even mention what you want to get out of it, rather write what you want to put into it.
(#128 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2008, 05:20 AM

That works for me, I'd have a lot of difficulty relating JET back to my career track anyway. Last year's prompt for the Australian application seems to invite a bit of focus on yourself though - “If you were successful in your application, what particular goals would you like to achieve, and what specific contributions do you think you could make in your position as a CIR or ALT?". Not sure how I'd deal with that, I wonder if the prompts change every year?

Random question, since all three of us seem quite eager and are preparing so far in advance - is anyone keeping up with Japanese news or reading any Japanese literature? Any recommendations? I just added the Japan Times and Japan Today news feeds to my RSS collection. Probably won't benefit me that much in terms of getting in, but scanning through some headlines every now and then can't hurt.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
(#129 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-27-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
That works for me, I'd have a lot of difficulty relating JET back to my career track anyway. Last year's prompt for the Australian application seems to invite a bit of focus on yourself though - “If you were successful in your application, what particular goals would you like to achieve, and what specific contributions do you think you could make in your position as a CIR or ALT?". Not sure how I'd deal with that, I wonder if the prompts change every year?

Random question, since all three of us seem quite eager and are preparing so far in advance - is anyone keeping up with Japanese news or reading any Japanese literature? Any recommendations? I just added the Japan Times and Japan Today news feeds to my RSS collection. Probably won't benefit me that much in terms of getting in, but scanning through some headlines every now and then can't hurt.
Just like an interview question, you can spin the answer.

"What is your worst quality?" "It is hard for me to stop before a project is finished, so sometimes my wife complains about the longs hours I am putting in the office." You answered the question and made yourself sound like an employee any boss would want.

Same in this case: (No one really cares what your career track is. Remember, it isn't about you. It's about Japanese students.)

“If you were successful in your application, what particular goals would you like to achieve?" "Japanese young people have so much to offer to the world, I hope I can be a small factor in giving them a voice and the confidence to use it as Japan meets a world were borders are shrinking and international business and communication is vital."

Do read the news and such. One of the questions at my interview was "Who is the prime minister of Japan?"
(#130 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Same in this case: (No one really cares what your career track is. Remember, it isn't about you. It's about Japanese students.)

“If you were successful in your application, what particular goals would you like to achieve?" "Japanese young people have so much to offer to the world, I hope I can be a small factor in giving them a voice and the confidence to use it as Japan meets a world were borders are shrinking and international business and communication is vital."
I thought of that, but wouldn't that be under the 'contribution' part of the question? Although I suppose it's listed as a suggestion rather than a question, so doesn't need to have each part specifically addressed like an English class essay.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog