(#111 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
08-22-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Wouldn't it be ironic if by some crazy coincidence, that despite what we all put down or pick for placement, and we all get into JET, that we all end up in the same area or pretty close to one another in an inaka setting? lol
That wouold be pretty darn ironic. XD If you put down any places that arent in Hokkaido, it seems like Chisa and I are going for places in Hyogo-ken, so maybe you'd end up in or around there ^_^

Quote:
Oh, there is one thing I know I wouldn't do if in Japan that other JETs on some boards seem to glorify...drinking. I just don't get the fascination with sitting around getting drunk. I've never been drunk, but that can't feel too good.
Having lived there and seen it firsthand many times, I feel like I should tell you. The Japanese LOVE to drink; it's not just a JET thing. If you go out anywhere or have parties with your fellow teachers, I can almost guarentee you there will people getting drunk and lots of drinking going on. While that doesn't mean you have to, just be prepared for it to happen around you XD I'm not against drinking, just against people being really stupid about it. I don't drink very often though, and I've never gotten trashed, and don't plan it. At least I do know if I do decide to drink (or they make me), I'm not an angry drunk XD Quite the opposite actually. I'm one of those people that if they get tipsy, I start saying silly things, hug people, and tell embarresing stories about me and my friends XD But yeah, just be prepared for it to happen around you XD

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#112 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

08-22-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Well, at least this type of hazing is safe compared to what some university fraternities and sororities do. ^^To be honest, I wouldn't know what to say for either choices without coming across as shallow or petty or uninformative.

Hokkaido: I love winter weather, and this region of Japan is very beautiful in the winter. It is also known for its onsen, good seafood, and various winter activities. It's also not as hot during the summer compared to the other regions.

Tochigi: I know someone on the Tochigi BOE. Yep yep. That's my reason why I chose it. Aside from that, and hearing how nice Utsunomiya-shi was, it sounds like a nice place.

Saitama: Yep yep, it's my sister city. That's my only reason. (Humorous sarcasm) I'm almost guaranteed a spot there!! Relations are important!

Could you imagine telling the interviewers that stuff above if asked? ><;

Maybe I could just say it was a random choice, or if I get to the interviewing process, I can cross my fingers and just hope that they don't ask me about it at all.
Truth be told, those really aren't bad reasons ^^; (at least I don't think they are.) Especially the sister city thing..apparently to them it's a great reason. heck, that's one reason why one of my picks is Kobe XD What I do think you should do though, and I've beent trying to do this too, is find a specific city/town in the prefecture you want that sounds appealing to you, and find very specific things in that city/town you can talk about. It makes you sound VERY well informed, and I think you'd have a much better chance in getting into that town, or at least the general area if you can spout off things like that ^_^ I obviously want to live near Osaka, so I've been looking into the cities/town in Hyogo-ken and Osaka-fu, which is how I found Nishinomiya-shi. I'm looking for a town in Osaka-fu now, so I have a solid third choice. I really think when you put down places like that, it shows you've done your homework, and you don't look like an ass like the people who just say "Yeah, I wanna live in Tokyo, Osaka, or Kyoto."

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#113 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

08-22-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
If you applied through D.C., and we both get to be interviewed, we'd probably meet up with one another there on coincidence or might even meet one another without even knowing.
Should that happen, we can arrange to meet or something like that ^_^

なんでやねん

(#114 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-22-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaPapa View Post
That wouold be pretty darn ironic. XD If you put down any places that arent in Hokkaido, it seems like Chisa and I are going for places in Hyogo-ken, so maybe you'd end up in or around there ^_^

Having lived there and seen it firsthand many times, I feel like I should tell you. The Japanese LOVE to drink; it's not just a JET thing. If you go out anywhere or have parties with your fellow teachers, I can almost guarentee you there will people getting drunk and lots of drinking going on. While that doesn't mean you have to, just be prepared for it to happen around you XD I'm not against drinking, just against people being really stupid about it. I don't drink very often though, and I've never gotten trashed, and don't plan it. At least I do know if I do decide to drink (or they make me), I'm not an angry drunk XD Quite the opposite actually. I'm one of those people that if they get tipsy, I start saying silly things, hug people, and tell embarresing stories about me and my friends XD But yeah, just be prepared for it to happen around you XD
You're right about it happening around you quite often. Most of the school teacher's parties were overflowing with alcohol. And they will try and try and try to get you to drink, in the belief that you need it to really loosen up and have fun. In the states, I don't drink at all. Over there, I'd try a little sip of it now and then for the kampai (toast) and then switch over to cola, fruit juices, water, etc. (More of the female teachers didn't drink, so I'd often try to sit with them... plus, hey, Japanese women are cute! ) As long as you are able to loosen up without alcohol, laugh, sing karaoke, joke around, etc, they'll slowly stop bugging you about drinking as the night goes on and they see you're having a good time anyway. But at the next party, it starts all over again, LOL, right up to an including my farewell party after 2 years! Just be firm, friendly, and show you can still have a great time and sing karaoke sober, and you'll be ok.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#115 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-22-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
That'd be incredibly ironic. lol
Quote:
Oh, I have nothing against those who drink and know that it's common there. Even I'm okay with having a drink occasionally, just not to the point where I'm crazy drunk. I honestly have no desire to ever experience that feeling, and I think it's because of how strict I am with drinking and driving. I'm always the designated driver here, so it's just become a habit to avoid drinking if out. At least one good thing in Japan, they have that no-tolerance thing where driving is concerned, and how you can't have any alcohol in your system before driving.
(#116 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-22-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Truth be told, those really aren't bad reasons ^^; (at least I don't think they are.) Especially the sister city thing..apparently to them it's a great reason. heck, that's one reason why one of my picks is Kobe XD What I do think you should do though, and I've beent trying to do this too, is find a specific city/town in the prefecture you want that sounds appealing to you, and find very specific things in that city/town you can talk about. It makes you sound VERY well informed, and I think you'd have a much better chance in getting into that town, or at least the general area if you can spout off things like that ^_^ I obviously want to live near Osaka, so I've been looking into the cities/town in Hyogo-ken and Osaka-fu, which is how I found Nishinomiya-shi. I'm looking for a town in Osaka-fu now, so I have a solid third choice. I really think when you put down places like that, it shows you've done your homework, and you don't look like an ass like the people who just say "Yeah, I wanna live in Tokyo, Osaka, or Kyoto."
That's a good idea. Earlier, I mentioned, my first choice is Toubetsu-cho of the Ishikari subprefecture in Hokkaido or just Ishikari-shi in general, mainly because it's not too far from Sapporo. If I'm not mistaken, on the JR line, you can get to Sapporo in about a half hour or so, although, Ishikari does strike me as being a bit rural.

As for Tochigi, outside of Utsunomiya-shi, I haven't looked into other places in the area, and I only know of Utsunomiya is because of Mr. Tsurumi going on about how he'd taken a trip there to a university for a seminar or something like that. Same with Saitama. I always heard that Saitama wasn't very interesting, though.
(#117 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-22-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
You're right about it happening around you quite often. Most of the school teacher's parties were overflowing with alcohol. And they will try and try and try to get you to drink, in the belief that you need it to really loosen up and have fun. In the states, I don't drink at all. Over there, I'd try a little sip of it now and then for the kampai (toast) and then switch over to cola, fruit juices, water, etc. (More of the female teachers didn't drink, so I'd often try to sit with them... plus, hey, Japanese women are cute! ) As long as you are able to loosen up without alcohol, laugh, sing karaoke, joke around, etc, they'll slowly stop bugging you about drinking as the night goes on and they see you're having a good time anyway. But at the next party, it starts all over again, LOL, right up to an including my farewell party after 2 years! Just be firm, friendly, and show you can still have a great time and sing karaoke sober, and you'll be ok.
I can loosen up without alcohol. I can be goofy and fun without the aid of alcohol, although, it does help some. lol I would only drink enough for a buzz anyway. That's enough for me. That aside, I don't see how some people can keep going with drinks. I get full. lol
(#118 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I wouldn't know what to say for either choices without coming across as shallow or petty or uninformative.

Hokkaido: I love winter weather, and this region of Japan is very beautiful in the winter. It is also known for its onsen, good seafood, and various winter activities. It's also not as hot during the summer compared to the other regions.

Tochigi: I know someone on the Tochigi BOE. Yep yep. That's my reason why I chose it. Aside from that, and hearing how nice Utsunomiya-shi was, it sounds like a nice place.

Saitama: Yep yep, it's my sister city. That's my only reason. (Humorous sarcasm) I'm almost guaranteed a spot there!! Relations are important!

Could you imagine telling the interviewers that stuff above if asked? ><;

Maybe I could just say it was a random choice, or if I get to the interviewing process, I can cross my fingers and just hope that they don't ask me about it at all.
They seem like pretty decent reasons! Choosing an area you think you'll feel comfortable in makes sense, and I've heard they love the whole sister city thing - make up some spiel about strengthening ties between your two cities and how much this means to you. I've heard that saying you know someone in the place you choose isn't looked upon too happily, although I'm not really sure why.

Quote:
Hopefully more people have been sent out of Canberra since then. I'm sure the number has went up especially since the program grows every year. Are there any other places that are in a feasible distance that you can apply from? When it comes to achievements and such, while they would be helpful, I really think the essay is going to be really important, so make sure you nail that pretty good That will really tell them about you and if you plead your case well, I think you'll be fine They can't go just on experiences alone, because not everybody has the same oppurtunities.
There's a few other cities closer, but they're quite large and will have significantly more competition When I think about it 7 people from a state of 300,000 people isn't too bad. Most people move to Canberra to take up government positions there rather than wanting to move away, so now that I think of it my odds aren't too bad after all.

I reckon I can spin a good essay when I need to, so hopefully that'll work enough... I'm hoping that the fact I have some experience with working full time as opposed to fresh grads will count for something.

Quote:
I can loosen up without alcohol. I can be goofy and fun without the aid of alcohol, although, it does help some. lol I would only drink enough for a buzz anyway. That's enough for me. That aside, I don't see how some people can keep going with drinks. I get full. lol
That's why you go for the shooters ^_~ I'm not a big drinker either actually; I've been drunk at times (it doesn't really take much) and I wouldn't mind drinking with my colleagues at an enkai, but I'm really hoping to not get to the insane liver destruction stage it seems many JETs do. Luckily as a small girl I doubt there will be too many expectations of me!

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#119 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

08-24-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
They seem like pretty decent reasons! Choosing an area you think you'll feel comfortable in makes sense, and I've heard they love the whole sister city thing - make up some spiel about strengthening ties between your two cities and how much this means to you. I've heard that saying you know someone in the place you choose isn't looked upon too happily, although I'm not really sure why.
If I had to guess, I would say that they may frown upon it because if you know people there already, usually someone isn't nearly as likely to go out and become part of the community, and instead will just stick with the people they know.

Quote:
There's a few other cities closer, but they're quite large and will have significantly more competition When I think about it 7 people from a state of 300,000 people isn't too bad. Most people move to Canberra to take up government positions there rather than wanting to move away, so now that I think of it my odds aren't too bad after all.

I reckon I can spin a good essay when I need to, so hopefully that'll work enough... I'm hoping that the fact I have some experience with working full time as opposed to fresh grads will count for something.
Yeah, those numbers really aren't that bad at all. I really like your chances with that ^^ Work experience will certainly benefit you, and with a good essay, knowing the places where you want to live (and good reasons for wanting to live there), things are looking pretty good ^^

Quote:
That's why you go for the shooters ^_~ I'm not a big drinker either actually; I've been drunk at times (it doesn't really take much) and I wouldn't mind drinking with my colleagues at an enkai, but I'm really hoping to not get to the insane liver destruction stage it seems many JETs do. Luckily as a small girl I doubt there will be too many expectations of me!
See, you're lucky with the fact that they won't have a lot of expectations of you when it comes to drinking XD I'm an American guy who's just about 6 ft. tall, and I have decent amount of meat on my bones, so I have a feeling they'll be expecting me to be able to put away a 12 pack or something XD Luckily for me (or unluckily, depending on how aggressive they are about getting me to drink ^^;; ), despite the fact that I don't drink very often at all, I have a really high tolerance for alcohol, so I shouldn't have to worry about being drunk out of mind or puking in the street..a sight I've seen many times in the streets of Tokyo XD I'll have no problems either at drinking at enkais and things like that, but I'm not gonna go to bars all the time like a lot of foreigners do whilst in Japan.

なんでやねん

(#120 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-25-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I suppose, but I'm still going to research the areas so I can say something about them without sounding like I read a brochure.
Quote:
I wish I could say I was a small girl. Even at my ideal weight/size, I'll still never be "small" because of my height.

That aside, I see what you mean about shooters. I had some a couple of nights ago, only two, though, and an Appletini, since I was to drive. Drinking shooters wouldn't make you full at all. That aside, I don't drink much. I don't care for stuff like beer, but I do like cocktails and tropical drinks. In other words, "sissy drinks". lol