JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
04-04-2008, 04:30 AM

Wow, congrats!! I know of another person I chat with who applied, but he ended up being an alternate. I hope he gets upgraded, though.

When do you know where you'll be placed?
(#72 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-12-2008, 11:08 PM

I was just wondering something. Right now, I'm working as an Instructional Assistant (I know, fancy for Assistant Teacher). Out of curiosity, do you all feel that this will help me in the long run?

Also, do you all know about when they put up information for the next year's applicants?

BTW, anrakushi do you know what your placement is yet?
(#73 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I was just wondering something. Right now, I'm working as an Instructional Assistant (I know, fancy for Assistant Teacher). Out of curiosity, do you all feel that this will help me in the long run?

Also, do you all know about when they put up information for the next year's applicants?

BTW, anrakushi do you know what your placement is yet?
Yes, that experience should be helpful on your application, and when you get over there.

I think they put it up in October or so.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#74 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

05-13-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Yes, that experience should be helpful on your application, and when you get over there.
Yeah, I suppose so. That was a pretty pointless question, thinking about it now. ^^; I guess I'm trying to think of ways to better my chances of even getting an interview.
Quote:
I think they put it up in October or so.
That's a good while from now. I was kind of hoping that it'd get put up even earlier, though. I'm anxious to get my materials together early.

Anyway, out of curiosity, does anyone here know of anyone who got into the program prior to graduating from a university? I was just thinking about my situation. I won't be finished until either February or March of 2009. I'm pretty sure it'll be February, though.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 05-13-2008 at 01:41 AM.
(#75 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose so. That was a pretty pointless question, thinking about it now. ^^; I guess I'm trying to think of ways to better my chances of even getting an interview.That's a good while from now. I was kind of hoping that it'd get put up even earlier, though. I'm anxious to get my materials together early.

Anyway, out of curiosity, does anyone here know of anyone who got into the program prior to graduating from a university? I was just thinking about my situation. I won't be finished until either February or March of 2009. I'm pretty sure it'll be February, though.
I believe you can apply as long as you are scheduled to graduate before you'd leave. But if for some reason you fail to graduate, you won't be allowed to go, so make sure you really will meet all the needed credits and pass your final classes...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#76 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

05-13-2008, 01:41 AM

Yep, that's the plan. I also didn't realize how much discipline is needed for online courses. I'm supposed to be writing a short paper on Stereotypes right now. I haven't even started it yet since I keep procrastinating.

Oh yeah...question about this...
Quote:
9) Reference Forms & Letters (1 original and 2 copies of each): You will be required to include two letters of reference from academic, professional or business contacts. Please avoid using family members or family friends. If you have not graduated by the time you work on your application, one of the references must be from some one related to the university and must contain a reference to your expected date of graduation. Ask the two separate individuals recommending you to use the provided form as the first page followed by a personal assessment on his or her organization’s letterhead. All letters of reference must be prepared specifically for this application. Ask each reference writer to make two additional copies of his or her original letter with original signatures and the reference form. All reference forms should be returned directly to you in sealed, signed envelopes. You should include these two sealed, signed envelopes with your completed application packet.
I mentioned before that I am finishing up my degree online and by the time I apply, I will still be in an Undergraduate program. I don't have any face-time with any of my instructors, so I'd find it odd to ask either of them for a reference. I talk to my Academic Advisor more than any of my instructors. I'm already set for my first reference (my Japanese teacher), but having trouble with my second still because of that particular rule. For my second reference, I was planning on asking one of the teachers I've been an assistant to, to write the letter, until I noticed that rule, which I never had before. In you all's opinion, do you feel that this would count against me and cancel out my chances of even getting an interview?
(#77 (permalink))
Old
charosian (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to charosian Send a message via Yahoo to charosian Send a message via Skype™ to charosian
05-31-2008, 10:29 PM

I too plan to apply this year for 2009, I should be completed with my degree in August this year. I was wondering if anyone could give pointers on the letter of intent?
thanks

http://8bitplus.blogspot.com/ Check it out, its fresh!
(#78 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-31-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Yep, that's the plan. I also didn't realize how much discipline is needed for online courses. I'm supposed to be writing a short paper on Stereotypes right now. I haven't even started it yet since I keep procrastinating.

Oh yeah...question about this...I mentioned before that I am finishing up my degree online and by the time I apply, I will still be in an Undergraduate program. I don't have any face-time with any of my instructors, so I'd find it odd to ask either of them for a reference. I talk to my Academic Advisor more than any of my instructors. I'm already set for my first reference (my Japanese teacher), but having trouble with my second still because of that particular rule. For my second reference, I was planning on asking one of the teachers I've been an assistant to, to write the letter, until I noticed that rule, which I never had before. In you all's opinion, do you feel that this would count against me and cancel out my chances of even getting an interview?
It's OK if you are still in an undergraduate program when you apply, as long as you have graduated by the time you leave for Japan.
(#79 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-31-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charosian View Post
I too plan to apply this year for 2009, I should be completed with my degree in August this year. I was wondering if anyone could give pointers on the letter of intent?
thanks
Can you give a few details?

The biggest mistake people make is write about why the JET Program will be great for them. "I really want to see the world and become more worldly and this will help me become a better-rounded person." Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Go with: "I have always enjoyed working with and being around children. With this opportunity I will be able to give children a chance to practice English with native speaker and give them insights as to what life is like in America (or Canada or where ever you are from)."

Also, don't talk about how you plan to innovate or revolutionaize the teaching systems already in place. Go with

"I look forward to working with and learning from my Japanese colleagues. Learning how to work with the unique group of students in each class will help me come up with lesson plans catered to meet their English needs as well as stimulate thier desire to learn."

Stuff like that.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

06-01-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It's OK if you are still in an undergraduate program when you apply, as long as you have graduated by the time you leave for Japan.
Well, that's not really the problem. The problem is getting a second reference since when I apply, I will still technically be in an Undergraduate program, and according to the rules there, I have to get a reference from someone of my school. I'm doing my schooling online, and have no real contact with my instructors (as the school is in a whole other state), so how can I get an honest reference? I know that JET's application process is strict on rule following, and this is one I'm actually having a problem with.