(#21 (permalink))
Old
swiftiey (Offline)
New to JF

04-30-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neooath View Post
Sorry I begin with the last question

You "require" a university degree for any type of Visa that gives the permission to work in Japan. But again there is no requirement. Visa are given on case by case.
The reason behind is that the Japanese government try to protect its own workforce, so that jobs that don't necessit to be graduated are given to Japanese people in priority.

If you want to live in Japan, you should expect to spend around 150000 yen a month (guest house + food + keitai + internet + go out at night)

But I know people that have "survived" with far less.
Okay, thanks.
Would I be able to survive on jobs that don't really "require" visas?
Such as being a waiter, modelling/acting, busking, etc etc.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
neooath (Offline)
New to JF

04-30-2008, 08:38 AM

It can't be sure at 100%, but I know people who are surviving with this type of jobs. But they feel a little unsecure.
Waiter pays around 800yen/hour (can go up to 1500 yen)
There is also the card of English teaching where you can count on 1500~2000 yen/ hour.

http://nipjob.com
All you need to know to find a job in Japan!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-30-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftiey View Post
Okay, thanks.
It's not not the JOBS that require visa, it's YOU as a foreigner.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Nki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Nki
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As a foriegner trying to live as a musician in Japan you are looking at an uphill battle. Not impossible, but uphill.

I played in a couple bands in Japan and did several shows, and basically after paying the club, the profits were enough for everyone in the band to buy a couple beers. We didn't do it for the money, obviously, but we had to get people to pay 25 or 30 bucks to come see US play. This is, of course, after paying for studio space to practice.
Visa-wise, you need a sponsor. The easiest way will be to marry a Japanese, but after a University degree you can likely find teaching work. I have no idea about modeling, but there is no visa there, I am sure.
Wow... I love the Musician life style... I´m into arts because I love the creative force you develop doing SOMETHING!... I´m playing guitar, composing songs that will be the sound track of a shorfilm... I wish the short film being develop in Japanese Anime. Ones I end the Music Demo, the Story Board, and save money I´ll go to Japan and make this Story become real.
(Ok, I need to Improve my Japanese & English speaking) that why I´m here

Nki Loves You.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

05-01-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftiey View Post
Okay, thanks.

You as a foreigner, need a visa to work in Japan.

Jobs for foreigners are limited in the first place compare to numbers of jobs available to Japanese so your chances of surviving in Japan is slim at this point.

You see, people come to Japan for different reasons but many of them come in as language teachers because that's the easiest and fastest way.

It is a lot easier to get teaching jobs if you have a bachelor's degree.

For the music scene, if it's tough for local Japanese kids to make living out of music, it would be even more difficult for you.

The best chance for you is to send your music to Japanese record labels. If you are good, who knows maybe someone might sponsor you.

Entertainment visa requires you to have a sponsor as well and you need to find one.

Good luck!!