JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#541 (permalink))
Old
stuniq (Offline)
New to JF

01-04-2010, 11:04 AM

Cool... I was exaggerating btw, but I do know that my friend works 6 days a week between 10am and 8pm, which to me is a bit much. I guess we are used to our 9-5, 5 day weeks.
(#542 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

01-04-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuniq View Post
Speaking of spare time, can anyone comment on how the quality of life is when teaching English through JET? Can you live a "normal" type of life, or are you working 24/7 like a typical Japanese? I have a couple of Japanese friends there and that's all they ever do.
Your contract as a JET stipulates that you get weekends off and your working day is usually contractually less than the Japanese teachers (though I believe it depends on your Board of Education?). Most Japanese stay well after the end of the school day and many will be spending weekends organising club and other activities which of course you will not be expected to do. While there is no expectation at all for you to do anything more than your contracted hours I think it would help you gain respect from your colleagues if you were to stay after school longer on occasion. But still, we're not talking about working anywhere near as much as the Japanese themselves do.

Quote:
Good point about not getting into JET... is there a limit to how many times you can apply? Does it count against you in the next round if you've failed to get in before? I will probably go for a degree in my field, or at least do something that is interesting, even if it doesn't help my career, rather than doing a teaching related degree.
Although for most people JET is a one off thing once you get into it, you can apply to get in as many times as you want. As long as you can show at your interview that you have done something in the last year that has improved your chances since the previous year (like learn Japanese / gain teaching experience / do a TEFL course). I have heard of people applying 3 times before they were accepted. I would suggest the tenacity would be seen as favourable rather than negative.

Quote:
As for your dilemma, can you not do a PhD at any time? If you fail getting into JET, you could fall back on the PhD plan. Hope you get in, it's such a cool opportunity. In general, I think people always take the safe option and settle for a mundane life rather than at least trying and failing to do what you really want.
In theory I can, what I am worried about is that if I took that much time out of science if it would hurt my chances of getting onto postgrad study. I have pretty much made up my mind now I want to go and teach in Japan regardless so we will have to wait and see! I agree about taking a mundane route - I have been told it's immature for me not to want to start getting a firm career when I finish university but I just think that would leave me totally uninspired, unchallenged and eventually bored.
(#543 (permalink))
Old
DJnohara (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-04-2010, 05:12 PM

I've looked around and I already figured that out. I plan to earn my four year degree in due time.
I would like to teach english but most places want nothing less than a four year degree.
My second plan is to try starting a small restaurant business in Japan.

Having a degree requirement can make sense (depending on the work field), but I also think (in recent times) employers are using the "you must have a 4 year degree" excuse to narrow down applications to only people with degrees. Even if someone might posses the proper skills without a degree.
(#544 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnohara View Post
I've looked around and I already figured that out. I plan to earn my four year degree in due time.
I would like to teach english but most places want nothing less than a four year degree.
My second plan is to try starting a small restaurant business in Japan.

Having a degree requirement can make sense (depending on the work field), but I also think (in recent times) employers are using the "you must have a 4 year degree" excuse to narrow down applications to only people with degrees. Even if someone might posses the proper skills without a degree.
Having the 4 year degree just proves that you can put in the work and dedication to see something through to the end. That's why for JET it doesn't even matter what the degree is in.
(#545 (permalink))
Old
ladyowl (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akakage View Post
I agree (You weren't expecting that from me ). Whether you go to college or a trade school, you need to be marketable. As Napoleon Dynamite says "Chicks dig guys with skills". I was wondering if the moderator would be able to make this one a sticky. It could serve as a source of good information...maybe rename it to "What must a person do in order to realistically live in Japan" or something like that. We could compile all the information on exchange programs for schools, what would be the best subject to major in while in college if one wants to go to Japan. If college is not an option, what skills or trades are in demand in Japan, how much experience is needed for those trades, etc. Just an idea.

A question about degrees, does anyone know Japan's policy on distance degrees? I know Taiwan doesn't see them as valid. Is Japan the same? If Japan accepts them I think that would be a great alternative to those who cannot enroll in a college full time but still want a degree to go Japan.

I agree with this thread. I wanted to be a veterinary surgeon, but I am not sure medical is the right path for me. I have always loved travelling and experiencing new places, especially places with the ocean nearby, and have since considered careers in writing, teaching internationally, and things like marine biology. I have visited Japan, and plan on going back for more trips, but I am also interested in taking a job in Japan and living there and exploring the culture and the people more. I am still an undergraduate college student, and since I am still deciding what major to choose, I was wondering if anyone could direct me, or advise me, on what majors might be beneficial to what I want to do. Thank you
(#546 (permalink))
Old
ladyowl (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2010, 10:18 AM

Also, I withdrew from a 4-year university half way through term for a medical reason, and since went to a community college because it was less expensive to my parents and then back to a 4-year degree school. Do you think a potential foreign employer would care about that?
(#547 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyowl View Post
Also, I withdrew from a 4-year university half way through term for a medical reason, and since went to a community college because it was less expensive to my parents and then back to a 4-year degree school. Do you think a potential foreign employer would care about that?
If you have a 4-year degree, how you got there really doesn't matter.
(#548 (permalink))
Old
ladyowl (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2010, 10:29 AM

That's what the veterinary directors told me when I was a freshman. Different people can have different opinions, though. Me personally, if someone has a four year degree and skills useful to me then I'd take them no matter how they got there, but who knows? People can be peculiar.
(#549 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyowl View Post
That's what the veterinary directors told me when I was a freshman. Different people can have different opinions, though. Me personally, if someone has a four year degree and skills useful to me then I'd take them no matter how they got there, but who knows? People can be peculiar.
You asked the question, I gave you an answer. Do with it what you need to.
(#550 (permalink))
Old
neverwinter6039 (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2010, 12:01 PM

i think lots of people over look how much of japan is all around them where they live every country almost does cosplay events and anime is everywhere now. Alot of the time people are moving to get things they already have.

i do think that your spot on! great thread i think lots of people could learn alot, and with some luck will step back and look at the gd qualitys there own country has before running off.

あまり日本語が話せない