LinkBack Thread Tools
(#561 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-12-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Not even. I work with a few French Canadians who have BAs from universities in Quebec or France that are three year degrees (but still the equivalent of a 4 year degree elsewhere) and the immigration office always looks at them funny and asks for more paperwork. Japan has this idea that BA = 4 years, and anything 3 years is automatically suspect.
Oh i hear you i don't want to keep repeating myself, but i think i am a live example of people who "really put my mind into it" but still didn't get a single offer from japan. Both my education and experience meet all the criteria (4 years degree in engineering, 3 years master in info sys, 12 years of work experience).. but thats it, when they don't want you, then they don't want you... none of this "I will put my mind into it and make it work"
(#562 (permalink))
Old
Kageboushi (Offline)
New to JF

02-17-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Oh i hear you i don't want to keep repeating myself, but i think i am a live example of people who "really put my mind into it" but still didn't get a single offer from japan. Both my education and experience meet all the criteria (4 years degree in engineering, 3 years master in info sys, 12 years of work experience).. but thats it, when they don't want you, then they don't want you... none of this "I will put my mind into it and make it work"
You sound too old. The kaisha is a family which must be allowed to rear you.

Wooosshh . . .
(#563 (permalink))
Old
StueyT (Offline)
JF Regular

02-17-2010, 09:42 AM

So what is the view on 3 year bachelor degree programs where someone is qualified to enter at year 2 or 3?

I've got 8 years experience in my field (IT) and have applied to a UK university. They're offering to put me in the final year of a 3 year degree in IT? Does Japan still see it as a 3 year degree?

広島市は一番!
My Flickr
(#564 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kageboushi View Post
You sound too old. The kaisha is a family which must be allowed to rear you.
Ok thanks for a totally useless comment.....
(#565 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-17-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StueyT View Post
So what is the view on 3 year bachelor degree programs where someone is qualified to enter at year 2 or 3?

I've got 8 years experience in my field (IT) and have applied to a UK university. They're offering to put me in the final year of a 3 year degree in IT? Does Japan still see it as a 3 year degree?
I don't think it matter which year you start in. They look at how long is the degree itself worth. So if the normal program is 4 years worth, and somehow they let you enter the university at 4th year, its still a 4 years degree.

A friend of mine came from Romania, she finished an engineering degree there, but her studies was actually somewhere between a Bachelor and a Master degree (comparing to North America), they (Japan) still considered it as a Master degree and she got a 3 years contract there.
(#566 (permalink))
Old
Stiluz (Offline)
New to JF

03-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Maybe instead of graduate from college -> live in Japan, I'd recommend doing an exchange year (or a semester) during college and see how you like it. Only after then, consider getting a job in Japan. Though, keep in mind that if you do an exchange, the university in Japan will usually help you a lot (especially if you're a graduate student), with things like a apartment/(dorm), and bureaucratic things, at least from my experience.

It'd be another thing going on your own looking for a job. Some of the universities with international programs will also aid you job-hunting in Japan (at least mine had the offer, so I reckon others would too), so doing an exchange in your last year could be an idea.
(#567 (permalink))
Old
SelfConstructing (Offline)
New to JF

03-10-2010, 02:14 AM

Hello Guys,
i lived in Indonesia, im just an "another" kids wanted to live at Japan without any skills.. Currently im doing 4Year Degree Majoring Management. For almost half on my life i was dreaming to live at Japan.
When it began , yes its all about anime and the whole thing, etc2...
but lately i realize that will need a live that i can lived for my whole life without regreting that i've been living all out for it. Its not that i dont want to serve my country.. its just that im not into it. Long time ago i learn simple japanese, but it was tripped by financial problems. So i really dont have any talent to offer to Japanese government. event i cant speak japanese at all. i Once gave up my dream, my live objective..
but when my college nearly done, which is right now. i am so depressed.. and i was likely having a nightmare every night that i cant go to Japan and live my live without passion. i know maybe taking a holiday to change our live situation is better. but i am chased by my family financial problem to work, to gain wages, to earn every cent to help my family financial problem after doing college. i am at a single parent family. which its only my mom, and financial is a serious problem at my family.. and my mom not supporting me to delay any kind of "movement" that will waste and not earning any money. i starting to learn nihongo again, but i know i wont make it until i graduate. i am so frustated by the pressure right now.
Today i was wake up from my nightmare , i was really freaked and have a quick mind about finding a forum that maybe that will help me, or at least support me..
and i am somewhat calmed down after read through DarkAngelAthena story.
im not yet reading this whole thread story. so maybe ill continue do read this forum for this few days.
sorry for my bad english..

ill really appreciate any suggestion from my senpai at this forum..
i know maybe i too spoiled for my senpais.. but i want to trully lived my live that i wanted to..
(#568 (permalink))
Old
Jillaman (Offline)
New to JF

03-27-2010, 03:40 AM

Well said everyone.
(#569 (permalink))
Old
jamener (Offline)
New to JF

04-14-2010, 12:32 AM

This is a really great thread! I'm sorry if a question like this was already asked but would this be a good choice: Majoring in International Business with Japanese language classes? It would be my Bachelors degree. What I want to do when I'm all done is work for a company (preferably a US company) that deals with Japan and hopefuly be sent on business trips to Japan. I'd also save up some money to take my future family on vacations to Japan and other Asian countries. I think Japan is a great place and while I wouldn't say living there is my top priority I'd at least like to visit often. I'm just wondering if my chosen major would help me reach my goal much? Teaching English is a close second if the business track doesn't work out well. I've heard that getting a teaching position is very, very competitive.
(#570 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-14-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamener View Post
Teaching English is a close second if the business track doesn't work out well. I've heard that getting a teaching position is very, very competitive.
No, not really. It's just harder now than it used to be back in the 90s when all you needed was to be a native English speaker with a pulse. Bear in mind that teaching English in Japan isn't really a career, unless you plan to become a university linguistics professor for example. Most people just do a couple of years in Japan teaching English and then go home, so you will need qualifications that allow you to get a decent job once home.

If you decide to stay in Japan longer you will probably want to move out of English teaching at some point, so having the qualifications to be able to do that would be a good idea. Business studies with Japanese language sounds like a good start.