JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-11-2008, 10:56 PM

I would say that Japan is just like most anywhere else in the world.

Life is what you make of it - it isn`t magically better just because you`ve changed surroundings. It`s no different than moving to another city in your own country in that sense. If you do pretty much the same things, your life isn`t necessarily going to improve.

As for weirdness, that really is subjective. After 10 years of living in Japan, I find the US weird when I read the news or visit.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Pjok (Offline)
is a 17 yr old now xD¨

Send a message via MSN to Pjok Send a message via Yahoo to Pjok
05-11-2008, 11:15 PM

MMM: Yh it is.. I know that my mom said that beatrice said that her neighbor said that he couldn't wait to come home.. they were really rude to him and so on.. i don't know what its all about but now my mom has "forbidden" me to go to japan, :S (but i'm going some day) I just know that he didn't say any nice things about the japanese people, culture or the country....... Z:

JF Family
SØPPEL
Proud member of the Vampire Clan
Claimed by me:
Ban (Lolita23q)
My adorable family knows who they are, <33

Koaku. Koaku. I'm never gonna admit such a big fat and ugly lie and you can't make me do it no matter what you say or what you write in your sig. Sry but i'm kinda really stubborn... ^^v
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Ramones1976 (Offline)

05-11-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
"Japanese only" bars and restuarants are very uncommon, and they generally aren't bars or restuarants, but pink salons or (barely) legal prositution houses gaijin probably should be messing around with anyway.

There is sometimes difficulty in renting an apartment because 1) you don't speak Japanese and 2) the culture of apartment renting isa little unique (key money).
Really?
Thank you very much for pointing that out
On a different social network some guy said "Japan is the most racist country in the world" and 1 of his reasons was because of the "Japanese only places".

(#34 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

05-12-2008, 01:30 AM

I dunno I guess the big push is just getting there in the first place.

I have absolutely no problem teaching english. In fact I wanted to do that before I ever considered going to Japan.

I have another question, is it good to start young? I'm 17 and I want to teach and work in Japan. But I feel like maby I'm rushing things, that I don't need to plan so far ahead. But I'm super afraid of....y'know, not making it. Becouse I come from a really low income family. I can't just pay my way there, I feel like I have to be better than the next guy to go.

I know that was a real trip away from my original question but it feels nice to have that off my chest.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura View Post

I have absolutely no problem teaching english. In fact I wanted to do that before I ever considered going to Japan.

I have another question, is it good to start young? I'm 17 and I want to teach and work in Japan. But I feel like maby I'm rushing things, that I don't need to plan so far ahead. But I'm super afraid of....y'know, not making it. Becouse I come from a really low income family. I can't just pay my way there, I feel like I have to be better than the next guy to go.

I know that was a real trip away from my original question but it feels nice to have that off my chest.
I'm from a poor family myself... I could not have afforded to go to Japan for a trip if I had to pay for it myself. That's one of the great things about JET. They pay for your airfare and everything. Many private schools expect you to get to Japan with your own money.

I'd say go to university, get your degree, maybe hang out with Japanese exchange students in the US and teach them about your area while they teach you about Japan, Japanese language, culture, etc. You have plenty of time, I didn't go till I was 24 (nearly 25).

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#36 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-12-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjok View Post
MMM: Yh it is.. I know that my mom said that beatrice said that her neighbor said that he couldn't wait to come home.. they were really rude to him and so on.. i don't know what its all about but now my mom has "forbidden" me to go to japan, :S (but i'm going some day) I just know that he didn't say any nice things about the japanese people, culture or the country....... Z:
It isn't for everyone, that is for sure. I don't know what his expectations were, but many people are surprised by what they experience. Rude neighbors are a fact of life anywhere in the world...
(#37 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-12-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramones1976 View Post
Really?
Thank you very much for pointing that out
On a different social network some guy said "Japan is the most racist country in the world" and 1 of his reasons was because of the "Japanese only places".
I don't know how you would qualify "most racist". The fact that is a much more homogenous country than most countries, and on an island, and cut off from the world during an extended part of its history means that many Japanese HAD lots of misconceptions about foriegners, but I think that is mostly limited to the oldest generation now. When I was there in March it was the first time I had ever walked through Osaka for a few days and never once felt like I was treated like anything other than a human being. I was not treated better or worse for being foreign.

If the amount of "No Foriegners" signs is all it takes to decide if a country is racist or not, considering I may have seen 2 during the three years I lived there, and both were at whore houses, should be a good sign for Japan.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-12-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura View Post

I was 22 when I went on JET, and even now that feels a little too young to me. I wasn't very responsible with money, and didn't save nearly as much as I should have (but came home with some great toys and some interesting stories).
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

05-12-2008, 02:34 AM

Cool, Sorry I didn't know what I was freaking out about. It was just me being paranoid...

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
(#40 (permalink))
Old
SakeSan (Offline)
Astronomer

05-12-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Tokyo is pretty easy to navigate, but even if you get lost, I wouldn't worry.

Taking the train to Akihabara is very easy (just don't look for "Akiba" on the train map).

Cash is king in Japan, and I wouldn't worry about carrying that much cash.

How old are you, by the way?

Thank you very much for replying on my post.^^
I really like the answers you wrote down here, so I think I'm much more certain then I was before, arigato gozaimasu!

O! My age is currently 22.

Matane!