(#11 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
05-19-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Japan seems to have a very good work ethic, just on an extreme level if compared to the US. I wish I had that much work ethic, but I guess I still haven't found the right job for me as of yet. Of course, I do know that if I ever end up over there as an ALT, I'd make sure to show that I have lots of work ethic to make a good impression. ^_^
um, people don't WANT to be worked like a slave...it's just part of the culture so you have no choice lol
(#12 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-19-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
um, people don't WANT to be worked like a slave...it's just part of the culture so you have no choice lol
Yeah, I know. I was pretty much comparing the cultures. IMO, the US lacks work ethic and the only people I've ever seen really into working, even later hours for no pay, are those who actually enjoy their jobs or ended up with jobs they seeked out. I was just saying that I've yet to find a job like that, but, if in Japan, regardless of the job, since I know it's a part of the culture, I'd try to show that I have a lot of work ethic to make a good impression and to show that I have respect for the company and of the culture.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-20-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I was pretty much comparing the cultures. IMO, the US lacks work ethic and the only people I've ever seen really into working, even later hours for no pay, are those who actually enjoy their jobs or ended up with jobs they seeked out. I was just saying that I've yet to find a job like that, but, if in Japan, regardless of the job, since I know it's a part of the culture, I'd try to show that I have a lot of work ethic to make a good impression and to show that I have respect for the company and of the culture.
I remember on one of my trip, my cousin (A Creative Manager at an advertisement firm) wasn't home when I arrive at 11:00PM. I heard him walking in the doors around 2:00AM, he left the house already the next morning when I woke up at 6:30AM.

Similar things was seen when one of my staff was sent to Korea for a design flaw we had, the staff there literally asked him "Leaving already" and looked at the clock, it was 1:00AM

I think we had it easy here in north ameria, there are just enough work to make people work that kind of hours in Asia...
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2008, 05:43 PM

Americans have no lack of work ethic, and put in more hours than Europeans, on average. Yes there are times when all-nighters are required in any field, but I get worried that people have this impression that Japanese people work 20 hours a day and Americans just sit around all day. The cushiest job I ever had was in Japan, and even then I got a part-time job at night to fill my days...

Charts from the American Time Use Survey
(#15 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
05-20-2008, 05:59 PM

karoushi.. jeez, still came up on my mind whenever I close my eyes.. sometimes, people just can't stop from what they are doing.. result in overdo..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#16 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-21-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Americans have no lack of work ethic, and put in more hours than Europeans, on average. Yes there are times when all-nighters are required in any field, but I get worried that people have this impression that Japanese people work 20 hours a day and Americans just sit around all day. The cushiest job I ever had was in Japan, and even then I got a part-time job at night to fill my days...

Charts from the American Time Use Survey
Maybe work ethic wasn't the right term to use. The Japanese come across as appreciating their jobs more, imo, compared to the US, regardless of what it is.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-21-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Maybe work ethic wasn't the right term to use. The Japanese come across as appreciating their jobs more, imo, compared to the US, regardless of what it is.
Traditionally, Japanese worked for one company their whole lives, and in return, one is completely dedicated to that company. That isn't as true today as it was 20 years ago, though I would say that Japanese, as a rule, are more respectful and dedicated to their companies than Americans are, but there is a cultural vein to that.

For example, at a conference you would never ever hear a Japanese person complain about his boss, for example, or his salary to someone from another company. An American wouldn't think twice about doing that. It's not right or wrong, just different.

There's give and take to that. I know Japanese that have never been on trips as a family. There is no sense of loss about that, it's just that tourist vacations as a family aren't as big a priority as they are to Americans.

But I do agree with your revised statement.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
05-21-2008, 01:35 AM

I don't know if it's necessarily that Japanese work more.. I think they just do a better job compared to "Americans"
And I quote Americans because it's not Americans actually doing the dirty jobs, most of the time.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-21-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveV View Post
I don't know if it's necessarily that Japanese work more.. I think they just do a better job compared to "Americans"
And I quote Americans because it's not Americans actually doing the dirty jobs, most of the time.
I want to offer my opinion to the opposite of this.
They don`t necessarily do a "better" job. Unless we`re talking about the driven innovators, they are often so tied down in office politics that it`s difficult to even get the most basic things done.
Even if someone above you doesn`t really have any part in the decision you are making, and even if they are in a different department... You still have to show respect by waiting for their opinion. I can`t even begin to count how many times my husband has spent half his workday (or more) doing "maintenance" type work while waiting for someone, somewhere, to call him so that there is no break in the respect.
It`s definitely not efficient, but when you`re going to likely spend the rest of your life working around these people - it`s important. You can`t just up and quit, head over to another office and be hired.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
05-21-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I want to offer my opinion to the opposite of this.
They don`t necessarily do a "better" job. Unless we`re talking about the driven innovators, they are often so tied down in office politics that it`s difficult to even get the most basic things done.
Even if someone above you doesn`t really have any part in the decision you are making, and even if they are in a different department... You still have to show respect by waiting for their opinion. I can`t even begin to count how many times my husband has spent half his workday (or more) doing "maintenance" type work while waiting for someone, somewhere, to call him so that there is no break in the respect.
It`s definitely not efficient, but when you`re going to likely spend the rest of your life working around these people - it`s important. You can`t just up and quit, head over to another office and be hired.
Treating people with respect is a form of doing a better job.
And no one can deny that Japaneses are much more respectful then Americans and when you ask for something to get done, it gets done with no evidence of half ass.
Or at least in Okinawa.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan