JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ishikawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Living in Japan - 12th Grade - 07-27-2008, 04:33 AM

At the moment, I'm going to be in 8th grade. Four more years, around, till I'm in 12th grade. Me and my mom struck a deal that I would be able to live with a relative in Japan, so that I may go to 12th grade in Japan. Before this happens, I want to know what Japan is like, and how their school systems work so that I may have a better grasp as to what to expect when I move there.

Thanks.

-Ishikawa
(#2 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
07-27-2008, 04:35 AM

Taken from a site:
"Japanese schools up to Junior High School are almost exclusively public (less than 5% are privately owned and run). Until Junior High School, students study at the school in whose catchment area their home is located. However, senior high schools have overlapping catchment areas: this means that there is competition among schools for the best pupils in a particular area, and among pupils for places at the best schools. Over one-quarter of senior high schools are private, indicating the extent of the competition in the higher levels Japanese schooling: parents will pay substantial amounts for their children's educations.

While the general improvement of education and standard of living for the Japanese population as a whole has resulted in some of the highest standards of education in the world, some claim that the attendant stresses have lead to an increase in psychological problems among children (although we are not aware of any published figures to support this). Also, the improved diet of many Japanese, coupled with a reduction in child labour (traditionally assisting relatives on farms or smallholdings in rural areas) and changes in social habits has lead to an increase in obesity amongst Japanese schoolchildren. However, this phenomenon is well-known in most developed countries, not just in Japan, and seems less pronounced than in the West.

For some time it has been accepted that a Japanese student's life is largely decided by the their university entrance exam: that is, entrance to the right university can lead to a well-paid job with one of the larger Japanese companies. However, increasing competition amongst schools means that this pressure is extending further back and many now claim that a person's future is largely decided by the age of twelve or fifteen with entry to the right junior high school. Wht effect the current economic recession and restructuring will have on this system remains to be seen."

"Junior High School (Chugakkou)

From twelve to fifteen years old, this is a hugely important phase in the upbringing of the Japanese child. Results at Junior High School can determine entry to a good Senior High School and hence to a good university and career. At this point children usually stay late at school, busy with various clubs and activities as well as studies at a Juku (see below).
Senior High School (Koukou; koutougakkou)

The peak of pressure for the student in the Japanese school system from 15 to 18 years old, entry to senior high school is by an entrance exam. Preparation for the exam itself, of course, is usually through attending a good Juku (see below). To get a place at the best university means that a student really needs to go to the right senior high school, so the entrance exam can have a major impact on the future career of Japanese students. As the number of private schools increases (at present over one-quarter of senior high schools are private) and pressure to perform well increases, education ends up costing parents more and more. This pressure is slowly diffusing down the chain as entry to the best senior high schools is increasingly affected by the junior high school attended. Although not compulsory in Japan, over 90% of all children attend Senior High School.
Part-time Senior High school

In some cases, where students are already working full time, they may attend evening school instead of normal high school. These classes are run in the evening, and instead of the usual three years, it takes four years to complete a senior high school education. Classes usually run until after 9pm or later, so this makes for a busy lifestyle for the working student. Compared to the average senior high school student, students at part-time high school tend to be far more socially mature and attentive students - also perhaps as attending a night school is generally a voluntary action and commitment is needed to complete the program, whereas attending Senior High School is often a matter of parental pressure.
"

"Japanese Teachers

Japanese teachers have either an Advanced, first- or second-class teaching certificate. Teachers are encouraged to work towards higher level qualifications by engaging in ongoing training. On completion of training, teachers in elementary and junior schools with a bachelor's degree are awarded a first-class teaching certificate, and those with a junior college certificate are awarded the second-class certificate. At senior high schools, teachers with a Master's degree are awarded a first-class teaching certificate, and those with a Bachelor's degree the second-class certificate.

After obtaining the teaching certificate, the final hurdle for a teacher at a public school is to pass an examination set by the prefecture to be appointed a teacher. Once this examination has been passed the teacher may work in any school in that prefecture. However, the license is only valid for one year and if they fail to find employment in that one year, they have to take the exam again. If applying for a position at a private school, the school will set their own requirements for employment.
Teaching Methods

Teaching in Japan is sometimes considered rigid and unchanging. Although the curriculum is set by the State to the point where content and time to spend on each subject are clearly laid down, the actual teaching method itself is completely up to individual teachers. However, it is often considered that cultural factors and particularly the teacher training schools encourage standard methods of teaching, reducing the ability of teachers to develop individual methods. This is another area on which the present overhaul of the education system is focusing.
Foreign Children in Japanese Schools

Once a rarity, foreign students in Japanese schools are becoming more and more common - particularly in urban centres. If you are moving to Japan and would like your children to attend a local school, all children are eligible to enter public education for free (i.e. up to the end of Junior High School at age 15). The only expenses you have to pay for your child are the same as Japanese parents - uniforms, texts, clubs, and the like.

For details, contact your local city hall. Some schools have more experience of teaching foreign students and their educational needs, so it is worth finding out in advance which are the most suitable schools because the school your child will enter is determined by where you live, not the quality of the school. The city council will be able to give you information, or you or a friend can call around the schools and find which one is recommended.

Of course you can also choose a private school: in larger cities there is often an international school which will offer lessons in English and Japanese. This is of course a more expensive option, but if you do not want your children to have to study everything in Japanese, this may be a better option (particularly for older children). Most children will learn Japanese far more quickly than their parents, so you should not worry that they will be disadvantaged in a Japanese-language environment.
"

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ishikawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2008, 04:49 AM

thanks for the info. (:
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2008, 12:36 PM

You're going to be taking an entrance exam, which most middle schoolers study in preparation for for a long time. My host sister in Japan is going to cram school right now for it, even though the exam is not until next year.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-27-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishikawa View Post
At the moment, I'm going to be in 8th grade. Four more years, around, till I'm in 12th grade. Me and my mom struck a deal that I would be able to live with a relative in Japan, so that I may go to 12th grade in Japan. Before this happens, I want to know what Japan is like, and how their school systems work so that I may have a better grasp as to what to expect when I move there.

Thanks.

-Ishikawa
When you are in 11th grade the last thing you are going to want to do is separate from all your friends and graduate with strangers in Japan. I would consider doing an exchange for college, but going to a Japanese high school for your senior year seems like torture.

I am going to assume you are already pretty fluent in Japanese, or else this idea is hardly feasable.

Also you know that the Japanese school year is April to March with a month off in summer...so you are either going to miss the end of your 11th grade year, or come in the middle of your 12th grade year.

As a former teacher at a Japanese high school, trust me, you don't want to spend your senior year in Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
When you are in 11th grade the last thing you are going to want to do is separate from all your friends and graduate with strangers in Japan. I would consider doing an exchange for college, but going to a Japanese high school for your senior year seems like torture.

I am going to assume you are already pretty fluent in Japanese, or else this idea is hardly feasable.

Also you know that the Japanese school year is April to March with a month off in summer...so you are either going to miss the end of your 11th grade year, or come in the middle of your 12th grade year.

As a former teacher at a Japanese high school, trust me, you don't want to spend your senior year in Japan.
My (senior) friends tell me that the only thing that makes the senior year miserable is the preparation for entrance to a university. I have a friend who goes to juku from 10 am to 10 pm just to study for the entrance exam... it's really tough on her and makes it hard to make plans.

But then again, it depends on the school. The school I went to was more laid back than other schools in the area, so the rules weren't very strict, so it was very easy to find time to have fun in between classes or when there was no teacher

I
沖縄           My blog
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-27-2008, 08:35 PM

In general, rules are pretty strict, and Okinawa is a little different from the rest of Japan.

Students are required to wear uniforms and usually no earrings are allowed. Hair should not be bleached or permed.

Students in general cannot leave campus during the day and depending where they live are or aren't allowed to ride a bicycle to school. There are no school buses. The students are responsible for keeping the school clean, there are no janitors. Many if not most of the students participate in after-school sports or activities, so it isn't uncommon for many students to be at school until 6:00 at night or later.

Last edited by MMM : 07-28-2008 at 12:11 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
In general, rules are pretty strict, and Okinawa is a little different from the rest of Japan.

Students are required to wear uniforms and usually no earrings are allowed. Hair should not be bleached or permed.

Students in general cannot leave campus during the day and depending where they live are or aren't allowed to ride a bicycle to school. There are no school buses. The students are responsible for keeping the school clean, there are no janitors. Many if not most of the students participate in after-school sports or activities, so it isn't uncommon for many students to be at school until 6:00 at night or later.
That's how the schools in my area were. There was only one girl with hair that stood out... and she was half Japanese. It looked dirtier than dirty blond.

My school let us go off campus as long as we were back for class, but another school 10 minutes away was totally opposite. The kids there were kept in school and could not leave the classroom until dismissed.

I
沖縄           My blog