LinkBack Thread Tools
(#211 (permalink))
Old
yoshimi (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 06-17-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
You will want to emphasize that you are of a native level, graduated from a US university and have a lot to offer the students and school from your diverse cultural background. I think that English is even listed as an official language in Singapore so if it is point that out too. Getting a job as an ALT will be easy as long as you apply to enough potential employers. Hopefully holding a US diploma should make it easier for you to get the work visa. One more thing, promote yourself as someone having first hand experience learning English to the point of fluent/native level. That's about all the advice I can offer. Just apply for as many positions you can and you should be getting a few calls. If you are wanting to start this fall, you really need to be putting together everything and applying right now since most spots are filled by early July if there are enough applicants.
Thank you so much jason!I'll do just that.
(#212 (permalink))
Old
jimbob17755 (Offline)
New to JF

jimbob17755 - 07-20-2007, 03:10 PM

Hello Jason,
I am Jim,and am interested in relocating to Okinawa to live,being now retired from U.S. Post Office.Teaching English or being a conversation instructor might be the way to go. Any info or contacts you can supply will be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Jim
Please send info to my email: jimbob17755@yahoo.com
(#213 (permalink))
Old
ForeignExchangeStudent (Offline)
New to JF

07-24-2007, 08:00 PM

I'm planning on becoming a Highschool English Teacher and I was wondering if you could give me some pointers and things like that like what degrees I should get and all that other stuff e-mail me at roleplayer4ever_and_on@yahoo.com

You have to risk life to create a future.
(#214 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

07-25-2007, 12:03 AM

If you read this thread and the newer one titled Teaching in the JP 2.0 and then have specific questions about teaching, I will respond to them. Because I have pretty much covered a lot of basic questions already.
(#215 (permalink))
Old
Amarao (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2007, 11:04 AM

forgive me if this a repeated question, i read through most of the thread and didn't find anyone else in my situation. I'm a Mexican citizen, came to USA when i was six. had to learn the language and been living here for 14 years. due to the whole immigration crap i'm not able to stay here for too long. i'm trying move to japan and maybe teach English or be an ALT, or hell anything!! i'll clean a ramen shop if i have to!! unfortunately i have no degrees. very capable at computer maintenance and like i said completely fluent in english. any tips for someone in my situation? sorry for the wall of text lol
(#216 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

07-26-2007, 12:55 AM

Unless you are married to a Japanese person, a Japanese citizen, or the son or daughter of a foreigner permanently residing in Japan, the requirement for holding a college degree in order to obtain the working visa in teaching English is not a flexible rule.

Your best option would be to work for a Japanese company in the US or Mexico and hope for a transfer or look for a Spanish teaching position online and ask them if a degree is necessary to get the visa in that area.
(#217 (permalink))
Old
Amarao (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2007, 11:53 AM

i see. well is there possibility of any other kind of job? i'm sure a computer tech type job is impossible with out a degree, but what about for small businesses etc? i am casting a wide net online but every little connection or link helps ^^;

ありがとう!
(#218 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-27-2007, 04:41 AM

if you are going to apply for a working visa, a DEGREE is a MUST..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#219 (permalink))
Old
astromagic (Offline)
New to JF

What to include? - 09-09-2009, 11:01 AM

Hi, I happened to read all these yesterday and check out the AEON website. By the way, may I know what is there to write or include in the essay Title: Why I want to Live and Work in Japan? Looking forward to hear from u guys soon
By the way, thanks Jason for sharing all the info. It's really helpful!
(#220 (permalink))
Old
jron (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to jron Send a message via Yahoo to jron Send a message via Skype™ to jron
09-09-2009, 03:20 PM

This is an awesome thread. Thanks! I got much information and many useful links off of it.

So I have a question about my personal case. I live in the US now but I am thinking about a change of like. I've been studying Japanese for 2 years now and I've been thinking of living there for a couple of years. I have been looking at IT jobs but was also wondering about the possibility of some kind of teaching position.

I am 51 years old and have a BA in Computer Science and 25 years working experience in the field of Software Engineering.

So some questions might be..
1. Will they even accept someone my age?
2. Would there be any specialty programs such as technical English (not sure what to call it). Or even directly teaching computer classes in English...

I know teaching won't pay near what I can make doing IT work but I am kinda sick of hard IT and could use a break from it for a while.

Thanks,
john