JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ptbrock (Offline)
New to JF

Moving Logistics - 08-29-2008, 09:24 PM

I'll be moving to Tokyo to start working in the next month or two and am trying to figure out the logistics of getting my belongings over there. I've just graduated from college this past spring, so I don't own a ton of stuff, but it is still more than I am able to take with me on the plane.

If anyone who has made the move from the US to Japan can give me any advice as to what they've tried (moving company, postal shipping, shipping containers, etc.) and how it turned out it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-29-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbrock View Post
I'll be moving to Tokyo to start working in the next month or two and am trying to figure out the logistics of getting my belongings over there. I've just graduated from college this past spring, so I don't own a ton of stuff, but it is still more than I am able to take with me on the plane.

If anyone who has made the move from the US to Japan can give me any advice as to what they've tried (moving company, postal shipping, shipping containers, etc.) and how it turned out it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't take anything more than what you can carry on the plane. Everything you need is readily available in Tokyo (except for good toothpaste and deoderant).
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Saffy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Saffy85
08-30-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I wouldn't take anything more than what you can carry on the plane. Everything you need is readily available in Tokyo (except for good toothpaste and deoderant).
That is sound advice.

If for some reason your dead set on shipping your stuff over (sentimetal value etc), then the best bet would be a cargo container (but it is not cheap, at around £700). Another alternative would be to pack an extra suitcase and pay ontop for the weight when you book in. And finally just mail as much as possible to your self if you know the address, if not have family mail it to you when you get there. All but the suitcase will see you waiting a few weeks to get your belongings and they all will cost more than the items are worth (with import tax and so on probly being slapped onto the items).

Is it really worth shipping your tv, bed etc over when it would be cheaper to buy new in Japan and sell your stuff before you leave? Anything you want to keep and not sell, leave with family/friends or stick it into storage (most towns/cities have them at around £5-10 per month).

Hope this helps.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-31-2008, 01:33 AM

How long do you intend to stay in Japan? If you are coming here for only one year, I recommend as MMM says, and bring only a few things. Several tubes of toothpaste and a year's worth of deodorant.

If you plan to stay longer, I would say the opposite, bring everything you can. I say that because many items in Japan are much more expensive than they are in North America and Europe, particularly clothes, shoes, and computers.

When I moved here, I shipped out four large boxes of items via USPS priority mail. I had planned to ship them by regular post, but USPS does not offer that service anymore, so each box cost about $120 to ship. I also carried 2 extra bags with me to the airport, the cost for extra bags was $150 each. The airport will deliver your bags to your hotel or apartment for about $40, and it usually takes about 24 hours to get there. You can select the time you want your bags to arrive so you can be present when they show up.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ptbrock (Offline)
New to JF

09-02-2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I suppose I should have made it clearer that I intend to stay there for for at least 5 years, possibly more depending on how my career develops (i'll be working at an investment bank).

As such, I'd rather not leave anything behind in the US that I actually want to keep. My company will reimburse my relocation expenses, as long as they aren't too outrageous (like a $700 cargo container ), so I'd like to try to avoid having to buy anything over there that I already own.

What it sounds like to me is that the best option is either stuff everything in a bunch of suitcases or post over a couple boxes. Any comment on the pros/cons of either option?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Saffy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Saffy85
09-03-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbrock View Post
like a $700 cargo container
The quote was actually an estimate in pounds, half it for dollars at current exchange rates. But then again I have no idea what charges are from the USA since it is closer (at least on the west coast) to Japan than the UK.

Pros for extra baggage; It arrives with you, costs less in general than all other options.

Cons for extra baggage; Extra baggage to struggle with, possibility of haveing to declair your personal items at customs (and any length process involved with the forms etc), possibility of airline "misplaceing" your bags and I am not sure but you may have to pay some tax on the items?

Pros for postage; You can insure the parcels (good in case of a loss), you can get tracking on your delivery, you can send just about anything and it will make it through (even illegal items have been known to make it through quite easily lol), no limit on the amount of parcels you can post to yourself.

Cons for postage; pretty expensive the more you post, possibility of damage to items in transit, possibility of lost parcels. customs decide to charge tax on the parcels, you tick the gift box on a large box for your customs form and they get pissed lol.

I would still recommend the suitcase for anything that can fit into one since it is more cheap and convenient in my opinion, plus you do not have to sit at home on a certain date to await the arrival etc. But hey if the company if paying, go for the most expensive option to say thank you haha.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-03-2008, 08:10 PM

Do you know your living arrangements. Japanese are usually used to making do with less space than Americans do.

Also, don't think about bringing a TV. It's a whole different set up.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ptbrock (Offline)
New to JF

09-03-2008, 09:47 PM

MMM: As a poor college student, I don't even own a TV, so that's one problem easily averted!

I'll be living in the company's dorms for the first year. I don't know too much in the way of details beyond that, but I expect it to be pretty small. I've lived in japan before (albeit briefly), so I think I've got a decent idea in terms of what i'll have to deal with for living space.

I've been working on narrowing down my possessions to what I really need and what I'm just irrationally/nostalgically clinging on too. I think I might be able to pull it off using just suitcases, but then the problem is where do I put a bunch of suitcases in my tiny dorm room??? Maybe I'll do mostly suitcases and post over just one or two smaller boxes...

Does anybody have any knowledge on what sorts of items are subject to duties and such?

Thanks again for the help fellas!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-04-2008, 04:21 AM

Personal items are not subject to duties. If you are buying new leather goods from overseas and having them shipped to Japan, then a duty can be applied. Used items purchased from ebay or individuals are not subject to duties.

Over the last couple of years I've shipped about 20 boxes to Japan, and though some of them have been opened and inspected by customs, I've never been charged any fees.

When you ship boxes to Japan you will need to fill out a customs form indicating the contents of each box, the value of the items, and their intended use. Make sure you list the items as being for "personal use".
(#10 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

09-04-2008, 04:31 AM

I have no idea what you are like - your preferences, but I'm with MMM - I wouldn't bring anything with you that you can't carry. Deodorant being the exception. Toothpaste- Aquafresh is readily available if you like that one.

There are lots of Sayonara sales here - people who come, stay for a year and then leave. You can get most stuff you need here and it is usually pretty good. That's what I did coming back this year - I bought my tv, washing machine, fridge, etc through sayonara adverts. Just make sure you check what you're getting. It may not be your cup of tea but.... it's an idea. For a clue about prices check out this link http://metropolis.co.jp/classifieds/...on=home&pid=31

Check my Website: TokyoTopia