LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-10-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDuke View Post
I guess because, yes it is illegal and it's potency is much greater than that of alcohol. Like I said, one beer or one cigarette is nothing compared to one joint. I think we would have a greater problem if it were legal in this country. Even though alcohol can cause lots problems for people, I think it's effects are far less than that of marijuana.

To answer your question, if alcohol were illegal then I would certainly have a problem with it. I love me some alcohol now, but when it comes to breaking the law, I just have to step away from it. I can't afford to break the law and certainly try not to.
So I take it that you have never smoked marijuana? How can you make a judgment if you've never done it before whether or not it's stronger than beer or cigarettes? I'd much rather deal with a bunch of pot smokers than a bunch of drunks. I've never seen people smoking pot try to start fights but I have seen plenty of drunks try to.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#52 (permalink))
Old
ThaDuke (Offline)
Lord Hades

08-10-2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
So I take it that you have never smoked marijuana? How can you make a judgment if you've never done it before whether or not it's stronger than beer or cigarettes? I'd much rather deal with a bunch of pot smokers than a bunch of drunks. I've never seen people smoking pot try to start fights but I have seen plenty of drunks try to.
I have smoked it on several occasions in the past, so I may sound like a hypocrite when I say that I don't like it. I do not use it anymore, however. So, I do know it's powerful stuff and I know it's completely mind altering. The thing with marijuana, I've never seen anyone advance their lives while addicted to marijuana. I'm not saying that nobody ever does, I'm just saying that I have never. They all turn out to be hippie bums begging for another hit. Also, every person I've ever known that has used marijuana on a daily basis has also tried a much stronger drug because they couldn't get high anymore. Cocaine is the more common upgrade from pot.

I would say the thing the difference between alcohol and pot would be that, alcohol can be used responsibly. While yes, you can completely kill a case of beer and get completely hammered, which is moronic, you can also have A single beer with a meal. I certainly know that a draft Samuel Adams Boston lager makes my NY strip taste 10x better. There are several craft beers that I know of that I and others drink one at a time, usually during or after a meal. I've even been known to have a glass of scotch or cognac before a meal. Try complementing your meal with a joint. Was it worth it? *yuck*

The Death and Resurrection

of a Dark Ruler
(#53 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-10-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDuke View Post
I have smoked it on several occasions in the past, so I may sound like a hypocrite when I say that I don't like it. I do not use it anymore, however. So, I do know it's powerful stuff and I know it's completely mind altering. The thing with marijuana, I've never seen anyone advance their lives while addicted to marijuana. I'm not saying that nobody ever does, I'm just saying that I have never. They all turn out to be hippie bums begging for another hit. Also, every person I've ever known that has used marijuana on a daily basis has also tried a much stronger drug because they couldn't get high anymore. Cocaine is the more common upgrade from pot.

I would say the thing the difference between alcohol and pot would be that, alcohol can be used responsibly. While yes, you can completely kill a case of beer and get completely hammered, which is moronic, you can also have A single beer with a meal. I certainly know that a draft Samuel Adams Boston lager makes my NY strip taste 10x better. There are several craft beers that I know of that I and others drink one at a time, usually during or after a meal. I've even been known to have a glass of scotch or cognac before a meal. Try complementing your meal with a joint. Was it worth it? *yuck*
I'm sure that there is just as many alcoholics waste their lives drinking. How can you tell an alcoholic to drink responsibly? You probably wouldn't believe how many people smoke marijuana that are successful. I think anything that you do in moderation is okay but excesses lead to problems.

(#54 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-10-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
I'm sure that there is just as many alcoholics waste their lives drinking. How can you tell an alcoholic to drink responsibly? You probably wouldn't believe how many people smoke marijuana that are successful. I think anything that you do in moderation is okay but excesses lead to problems.
You wouldn't believe how many pot smokers waste their lives smoking weed.

I've seen more people hold a decent job and drink in moderation than I have people with weed.

Thinking of the Army, those guys pissed up 3 night s a week at least, but were still extremly professional.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-10-2009, 04:56 AM

I dont know, I agree with Belyvis. I know many people who live successful lives and smoke weed. Its all about moderation. Its easy to say you know more people who are successful and drink. Drinking is more common. I know many people who smoke weed regularly and are doing just fine. Plus marijuana has some medical benefits. And hangovers from alcohol suck, you dont get those with weed.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.

Last edited by Barone1551 : 08-10-2009 at 07:24 PM.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-10-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
Drinking is more common.
Not where I'm from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
Plus marijuana has some medical benefits.
No it doesn't.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

08-10-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
No it doesn't.
You never heard about medical cannabis?

Last edited by Aniki : 08-10-2009 at 06:56 PM.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't believe how many pot smokers waste their lives smoking weed.

I've seen more people hold a decent job and drink in moderation than I have people with weed.

Thinking of the Army, those guys pissed up 3 night s a week at least, but were still extremly professional.
You probably would never know who the successful pot smokers are since they have to hide it as it is illegal. You can always see the screw ups since, well, they are screw ups.
As with anything pleasurable there is a risk of addiction. Getting "pissed" 3 times a week is an alcoholic, professional yes but still as much an alcoholic as a Skid Row bum.

(#59 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-10-2009, 06:28 PM

I know several successful pot smokers -- including business owners, legal counselors, journalists, and musicians...

Quote:
No it doesn't.
"Research into the analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of cannabis continued to bolster the case for the medicinal use of marijuana, making the 'patient pot laws' that have passed in 11 states seem less like a social movement than a legitimate medical trend."

TIME magazine wrote in a Dec. 5, 2005 article "The Year in Medicine":

---
"It is a sad commentary on the state of modern medicine -- and US drug policy -- that we still need 'proof' of something that medicine has known for 5,000 years. [...]

Marijuana is effective at relieving nausea and vomiting, spasticity, appetite loss, certain types of pain, and other debilitating symptoms. And it is extraordinarily safe -- safer than most medicines prescribed every day. If marijuana were a new discovery rather than a well-known substance carrying cultural and political baggage, it would be hailed as a wonder drug."

Lester Grinspoon, MD, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School

---
"I believe that a federal policy that prohibits physicians from alleviating suffering by prescribing marijuana for seriously ill patients is misguided, heavy-handed, and inhumane.

It is also hypocritical to forbid physicians to prescribe marijuana while permitting them to use morphine and meperidine to relieve extreme dyspnea and pain. With both these drugs the difference between the dose that relieves symptoms and the dose that hastens death is very narrow; by contrast, there is no risk of death from smoking marijuana. To demand evidence of therapeutic efficacy is equally hypocritical. The noxious sensations that patients experience are extremely difficult to quantify in controlled experiments.

Jerome Kassirer, MD, Editor of the New England Journal of Medicine
---

Cannabis was the first, second, and third most prescribed drug in the world up to its prohibition.

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 08-10-2009 at 06:32 PM.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-10-2009, 07:22 PM

^^^

Very well put good sir. Actually, that was almost perfect. I dont think I can add anymore that you didnt already say. Well done.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.

Last edited by Barone1551 : 08-10-2009 at 08:37 PM.